1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Which Coolant for my WR 300 that I just blew up

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JDJ, Oct 25, 2013.

1. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I feel like I hijacked this thread but I thought my issue was relevant. The tough part is this bike never overheated previously but after I crushed my radiators in a crash and had them rebuilt it has been an ongoing issue.

I did have to run it after the crash for about 8 miles without fluid that circulated.

I will check the jetting.

Just want my good running bike back!
  2. JDJ Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    prev07 YZ450F , 07 CRF250X , 03XR250
    no worries about over running this thread. all of this is useful to me as well since i never really figured out what caused me to lose all my fluid and overheat thus causing my top end dilemmas. all of the remarks have clued me in to things i need to check once i get this puppy back together. Thanks for contributing to my solution.
  3. JDJ Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes i was nearly bone dry once i took the hoses off in preparation to remove the top end. That is what clued me in to a possible coolant failure that caused this whole fiasco. I have a few things that have made me scratch my head. The first was the bad O-ring in the top of the cylinder cover - this may have caused me to leak out all my fluid and overheat. Also, the V-force Reed boot appears to be cracking around the square part and this makes me wonder if I have a vacuum leak there somewhre also. Crazy stuff as this motor only has 342 miles on it.
  4. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    Yes, keep a sharp eye on the reed/intake boot. It cracks easily and deteriorates quickly. I had to replace mine on my '11 wr300 after about 1.5 years (or 41 rides, 1,100 miles, bought new). Replace ASAP if its condition is suspect.
  5. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    thats crazy, I had a season on my wr300 and I just replaced the boot. I noticed it while the bike was in tbe bed of my truck and attributed it to taking the carb on and off a few times. It seemed kinda hard on the boot. I think the PWK is a hair longer.
  6. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    My boot was cracked also after only a year of riding. I finally replaced it for good measure, but none of the cracks went through the boot that I could see. There was a thread on Thumpertalk where a guy took Engine Ice and tested it and was pretty positive that it was 60% polypropylene glycol and 40% water. I went to Napa bought a gallon of Sierra Low Tox which is polypropylene glycol and mixed it with 40% distilled water. I used to have issues with 50/50 ethylene glycol and water on steep slow hills. Water wetter helped, but it would still push steam out of the overflow. I haven't had an issue since switching over, even in nasty stuff where my buddies' bikes are steaming. This is my experience, yours may vary.
  7. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I am going to check that boot on the reed cage tonight.
    My bike is an 09 and has some miles on it. I have read multiple times on here about issues with the reed cage and some leakage issues around it so I will check it out.
    Does anyone have an idea of how to check for leaks there other than the visually obvious cracks?
    Forgive my ignorance please.
  8. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

JDJ likes this.
  9. JDJ Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    many on here have recommended to put gaskets on both sides of the reed cage - one on cylinder side and one where boot meets cage. Factory gasket was not sufficient apparantly.
  10. JDJ Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks for that link. Too bad someone doesnt clue Husky in on this issue. I ordered an OEM from Halls or I would be doing this for sure. Once this one wears out - I will try these guys out? Do you remember how much it cost you?
  11. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think it was around $100 but it was worth it to me, was going through to many OEM ones. I have noteced my wr125s doing the same
  12. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  14. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    Almost an easy answer could be "Anything but the stock junk would be an improvement"....

When I needed the water pump seal replaced due to the milky oil syndrome, I made the mistake of ordering the parts at 3am after a night out with some old friends, a few pints of Guinness, and a couple shots of Patron, needless to say when looking at the parts diagram (it should have been diagrams) I forgot to include the seal itself and just ordered the sleeve and o-ring. So since I wanted to ride I replace them only and have had no issue with milky oil since. The sleeve was pitted and corroded on the coolant side.
  15. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Ok, I looked at my reed cage last night and it looks like there is a small crack on the exterior but I am not sure if it is just a little imperfection in the plastic or a crack. I am going to look closer at it tonight and try to snap a picture or two.

I don't have mikly oil that I have noticed but I have been suspicious that I may have a water pump issue.

I will check my specs on my rings and piston to see if that is out of whack. I think the more I hear and read I may have an air leak.

Bout ready to give up though and send it someone I have to pay...darn.
  16. Bryan M Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    10 GasGas ec300, 12 Ducati Monster
    I drained my oil last month and it was white, but I wasnt down on coolant. When yours was leaking how fast did you lose coolant?? Several people said I probably just got water through the breather tube from some very wet rides and deep creek crossings. Hoping I dont have the same issue as you.
  17. JDJ Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    It never was actually leaking to my knowledge. The leak must have been internal. I usually check my coolant regularly but i haven't even really had much time to ride this year. So what I think happened was that once the O-ring in the top of the cylinder went bad, the coolant began leaking then. I do recall seeing some real white smoke out the silencer so i think it kind of all happend at once and then it overheated and here I sit. I just got it back from Halls today. Im anxious to put it back together but a bit nervous not knowing if any further issues are down below. I just do not want to split the case if I can help it..
  18. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I changed the tranny oil two weeks ago and it was also white (for the very first time) and less viscous than normal, but my coolant level was normal. I then noticed the crankcase breather tube and union missing and I had previously been on some very wet rides, so thinking I sucked in some water...great. Haven't noticed any adverse effects though.
  19. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    Well 2 times I changed the oil it was milky but the rad was full, per say, I was through a few puddles and though maybe it was getting in thru the breather. 3rd time I changed it it was slightly below the cooling fins so I topped it off. We were a week from our Enduro so I just wanted to nurse it through as I had a section I needed to work. Then it overheated and was really low. So I was pretty sure it was the pump seal. But as I said the sleeve was the problem. I was figuring I would be replacing it anyway but needed the bike so was willing to wait till after the event. But I would replace it anyway if your going to do it and not just the sleeve. It's to cheap of a part not to.
  20. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I am ordering the new intake boot. Thanks for the link. I looked closer last night and I definitely have a crack there.

I am really hoping that was/is my issue.
    I am also going to get two new gaskets for either side of the reed cage. Are those something I could cut from gasket material or do I need to order the premade ones?