1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wiring question

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, Oct 17, 2013.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Running straight ac
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I was just e-mailing Trail Tech about the Reg / Rec and they say we can't use these units unless we float the ground. I thought the ground was floated on these ignitions, but he says it's not.

He won't tell me how to do it because of liability reasons, but says I can find this info on the web.

I really don't understand how this can be a "plug and play" for a stock system if they say it won't work with a stock system.

HE WROTE: Our reg/rec is designed to work with our electrical systems and/or modified stators with a floated ground. It sounds like you are trying to use it with a stock stator and that will not work.
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    What I don't understand is that Baja Designs says you can ground the second yellow from there system and use their unit. I agree with this and think you should be able to do the same with the TT unit. The grounded yellow would be electrically connect to the ground side of the stator via the frame. Which is what you are doing by running a wire from the stator to the Reg / Rec. You just have to isolate the Reg / Rec chassis from the frame.
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I know someone who has an 08 wr250 that is utilizing the trailtech rectifier/reg with success. When i talked to the "expert" at trailtech a year ago he seemed unsure if it would work. It seems the husky two strokes are a big mystery.
  5. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hope this thread helps: WR 250 AC to DC conversion trailtech regulator/rectifier and Battery.. Cheers :)
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, I've been thinking to much about this and should have never talked to Trail Tech. I know better, but was having a brain fart because the unit I got had 5 wires and it was supposed to have 4 and the 5th one wasn't blue. So, I start digging around to find out how the 5th wire was used and got all screwed up.

The 5th wire is a time delay that I'm not interested in using. I thought the time delays were blue wires, so I sort of freaked out.

I'm not going to float the ground. I'll just ground one of the yellow to the frame. That is basically the same as running another wire, only it will use the frame as the wire. So I'll be continuing on as planned.

Sorry for the brain fart interruption. Carry on, men.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    OK, got mine all set up today and back on the stock WR ignition. Everything is working fine. I ended up using the delayed shut off to run the little "Euro" light in the head light and the tail light. Everything else is ran through a switch so I can turn it off. The "Euro" light and tail light are on anytime the motor is running and for 30 seconds after it stops.

I mounted the Reg / Rec in my headlight shroud plastic and ran two yellow wires back to the coil area. One goes to the AC feed off the stator and the other grounds with the coil and kill switch.

Everything seems to be working fine, but I sure miss the CR ignition with the JD racing CDI box. Yes, it runs much better with the CR ignition than it does the WR unit.
    juicypips likes this.
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Bloody hell this sounds like a an effort an a half...if you don't mind Motorhead, do you have a schematic on how you wired your whole kit together?

The Aussie version are all wired up for the road and just for info, if the AC regulator is shot, you'll blow lights as that little silver box controls or dampens the voltage fluctations. Anyway, l'm trying to figure out why my (WR250) can't get lights, rear light and horn and l've wired it exactly like my WR360 and mates WR250...might swap the switch assembly..hmmm.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I don't have a schematic and I'm not sure I can even make one.

But, yeah, if the little silver box blows then all bets are off, for sure. Mine is also changing the voltage to DC and regulating it. Hopefully the fuse will save the rest of the stuff.

Yeah, I'd try jumping out the switch and see what happens.

Do you have a volt meter? I'd check for voltage coming from the stator and the continuity of the rest of the system. It shouldn't be hard to find that way.
  10. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Cheers Motorhead...I've got the bike nearly back together and will check the whole wiring after a 4 day ride...the OE wiring diagram is a bugger to read so yeah, continuity test the harnesses next and then voltage test the stator... original thought the the trailtech ac reg unit was the issue but works fine after testing it in on the other bikes (showing 13.5V on the multimeter as prescribed by trailtech).

LoL...l need a day to just concentrate of wiring and writing it all down in a readable schematic..with colours :)