1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc wr 250 or 300

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by tbeaton, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an '08 WR250 and love it. I ride tight East Coast single track and the bike turns on a dime and the suspension is awesome. I'm 220 with gear and can't say that I've ever felt like the bike needed more power. The only 300's I've ridden were KTM's and I wasn't impressed.
  2. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    yea i will ride northeast trails, little bit different that atl, but not much. i hear nothing but great things about the 300's from ktm.
  3. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The 300 is a bitch to start.

The 250 has plenty of lug.....and scream on top too.

If the 250 is a dollar cheaper than the 300 get the 250
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Husky is nothing like a KTM 300 in the motor department....my WR250 is much snappier than a KTM300.
  5. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    Get the 250 you will never want any more power than it has to offer just get the right pipe setup and jetting and it is a monster! You will eat ktms 250/300 xc/xcw/sx power wise. These are very fast race bikes don't be deceived by the so called trail bike some call it, my 09 has no problem with holeshots against 450s or any bike for that matter just start in third or second and you'll get to the first turn first.
    ray_ray likes this.
  6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I ride technical trails as in single track and weigh 205 I currently ride a 360 for it's torque
    I short shift it to keep the engine mass (rpm's x cc's) low and as such recommend a larger displacement for ease of riding if nothing else
    the friends I ride with have all different bikes and displacement and I seem to wear down later than most as the engine is doing all the work so I don't
    Dirtdame likes this.
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    The 300 is awesome!! I have ridden my 300 and a friends 250 back to back several times and I would go for the 300 without hesitation. They are essentially the same exact bike aside from the top-end. The 300 feels like it will never stall out. It has so much low end tractability yet when you slip the clutch and spin up the revs, it will take off like a mofo.
    My 300 was hard to start when I first got it but now its no problem. The secret is kicking back and down on the kicker rather than down like a traditional motor. The kicker sits above the sprocket and is a bit short. A swift back/down kick will get it done!
  9. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats poor advice and the 250 is no easier to start if you dont have the right technique. I've watched my buddy steam up trying to get his 250 started while I sit on my seat and rev my motor with a smirk.
    2premo likes this.
  10. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
  11. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    lots of food for thought. luckily i'm not buying anything right this moment. i wish they had demo days around us, unfortunatly we don't and i don't know anyone that owns one.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    this is correct thinking, people said that about the 500, it is actually easy to start if you go through the correct steps
    I also use the down and back method on my 360 and have no problem,
    all bikes have idiosyncrasies and the kick lever angle is the only real issue on this
  13. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    with all this being said, what would u guys think is a fair price for a 10 left over in either bike?
  14. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    also, i know alot of guys have owned or have ridden different bikes. can you guys give me the readers digest version of the wr vs? looking at xc and xcw and a gasgas as well. what are the main differences, ride and handle etc... in a condensed version.
  15. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    I have a WR 300. Ridden KTM xcw 250 and xc 300, 2009 and 2012 respectively. The KTMs are both are the same size: small. I'm a large at 6'0" and 210# with gear. The Husqvarna fits me much better than the little orange ones.
    The KTM steering is very different. They need steering dampeners (opinion) where the Husqvarna is fine without. KTM feels twitchy, Husqvarna feels stable.
    steadydirt, marshwater and ray_ray like this.
  16. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I've only ridden 2 bikes other than mine recently. One was a KTM 200 and the other a GasGas 250. I had fun on the 200, but missed the torque of my 300. I couldn't get off the GasGas fast enough. I didn't like anything about it. An A rider who rides an old Yamaha WR250 2 stroke rode my Husky. He loved it. He said the engine was perfect, loved the suspension and didn't think a stabilizer was necessary.
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    If youre short you might not like the WRs.
    ASO likes this.
  18. tbeaton Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f
    i'm about 5 10-11.
  19. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Im just under 6' and initially the bike was a little tall but its strange but true, these bikes need to break in and the suspension softens up and sags more after a few rides. Im essentially flat footed now. I would recommend a re-valve and re-spring on the bike if you plan on racing, but then again, just about every factory bike requires that, as the stock suspension is good for about a 165 lb or so rider. The biggest thing I notice is deflection from the front end and bottoming out the front end on bigger jumps...no surprise tho, it is an enduro. Once again, I cannot say enough about the motor. Its amazing.
    I am having Solid Performance do my suspension in the next two months and I will be writing up my results on how the bike feels once I get seat time.
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I don't do real life karaoke but I have been practicing keyboard karaoke ...

And Willie says it best about purchasing a second 250/300 Husqvarna to go with my current 08 WR250 ...

Owning a second 250/300 2t Husky is alwways on mmmy mmmind... Owning a second 250/300 2t Husky is alwways on mmmy mmmind ...

Thanks and please, no applause ...
    Long_Stroke likes this.