1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 300 race head short review

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Dec 2, 2010.

1. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    ^^^ Yep. Your 250 already has higher compression and might not benefit as much as a 300 would though - not sure on that one? I race a same era WR and I've left mine stock. I can pass some 450's in the open if I am brave, so I haven't messed with it...
  2. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

What's the # to RD Designs? Any idea on the cost for this mod?
  3. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
  4. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Current setup is:
    Keihin Airstryker PWK 38mm
    Jetted with a 45 pilot jet
    170 main jet
    Blue needle in the 3rd clip from top down.
    Elevation 0-300mtrs
    Temp - 15- 35 degrees C
    Humidity 40 - 60%

Type of riding desert, soft sand (fast trails)

I will take the helmet camera out on my next ride so you can see how she goes :D
  5. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, thanks for the info! There´s no desertriding here! We started our iceracing season today:applause:! Great fun with long powerslides on the ice:thumbsup:. I use 14/42 gearing on the ice, EEL needle in 3rd, 45 pilot and 182 main at about zero degrees. Humidity around 85-90%.

Johnny
  6. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I dont think we could find more contrast than that :) Stupid question...
    Whats an EEL needle?
    Have you tried a paddle tire in the snow? wonder if it would work :)
  7. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

EEL needle is one of Keihin´s own needles. I´ve been trying out different needles to learn about jetting and to see how the needles affect the caracter of the engine. This makes a very big difference so now i have the possibility to jet my bike just how i want it depending on where i ride and how i want it to be. I have a bunch of needles to mess with! No, i haven´t tried a paddle tire, because as soon as you get down to the ice you have no grip at all! Our Motocross tires with 12-15mm long screws works wonders on the ice! Wheelies out of the corners and stoppies into the corners! :applause:
    BTW: Blue needle in 3rd feels rich to me. have you tried it in lower position? I also think a 40 pilot would work fine. I use a 45 now and we have about zero and below at 1000ft! 1,5 turns out.
    Johnny
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I think its around $70.

Best way to reach Ron is via email: rblack66@comcast.net
    He's a one man shop and he will not drop what he's doing to answer the phone, so email or calling will yield similar response times and he prefers emails. BTW, he does superb work and is a super nice guy to boot.

I'm dropping off my 300 head today or tomorrow for the treatment. And since I cant even get a squish measurement with .125" solder I'm hoping for a nice gain, especially since I am going to ask for a substantial compression bump. I'm hoping this will wake up the soft bottom end.
  9. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    PC
    Cool, a local guy. Once you get yours 'just right' then I will take mine in. I am happy to let you be the beta tester.
  10. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

My race cylinder head is now on it´s way to Sweden! It will be intresting to try it out when it arrives! All of you guys who´s using it: Does anyone having problems with pinging? What fuel are you running? We have 99 octane in the pumps at best here in Sweden.
  11. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

On mine, no pinging on 94 oct. I have 165psi.
    From all testing i have made with 2 strokes, 200 psi is the limit for pump gas. Over that i use VP C16.
  12. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

:thumbsup:! Thanks, sounds good! I check my ignition too. Is it easy to adjust? Anticlockwise?
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    No beta testing required. He's done hundreds, if not thousands of them.
    He's not reinventing the wheel, just fixing the mass-production tolerances...

After this I'm going to look into the digital ignition. Anyone priced it out yet?
  14. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Do you talk about the Ducati ignition ???
    If yes, its too expensive... for me.
    $346 stator
    $262 box
    $174 wiring...

I think for $780 you can have better performance gain... My stock timing is advance 4 degres and the response is perfect. I dont think the stock ignition is a "bottle neck" in performance on the WR300...
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Wow!
    Forget that. I'll go buy a beater 125 for that kind of change!

Thanks!
  16. mhambone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81ae420,87xc500,09wr250,09sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husabergs,Maicos,KTMs,BMW
    How much do they mill off the Head? Would the 250 benefit from such a mod? I have two friends with the 300 and I have the 250.

Mike
  17. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    If he has done thousands then he ought to list Husqvarna as an option on his website :-) I assumed he was also bumping the compression a bit in addition to cleaning up the squish band and may not know what the sweet spot is on our 300s.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    If you were in all powder snow maybe but if the snow gets hard, the tire will be ruined quickly ...
  19. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
  20. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

15mm crikey that would rip ya leg open like a polar bear if it got a hold of ya :eek:
    Being a newbie to 2 strokes I dont know how to adjust the needle:busted: I was happy with myself after changing the jet! :D
    Hey if you get a chance post some pics... Im sure this is something not many of us get to see ;)