1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR thermostat bypass

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pvduke, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    As a general rule, I don't think this is fair. Lots of the clearances in engines are specifically designed for a certain operating temp.

That being said, eliminating a unit that may be prone to failure (with pretty bad consequences if it does) seems like a fair play.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    most of my rides avg 8-12,000 feet of climbing slow, steep pitches, loose or snotty stuff, 75-100* temps. i want max flow and zero restriction w/ preimum coolant. imo this type of cooling system is too small and my demands too great for a t-stat.

my bikes get pretty warm but i rarely have an o/h episode that forces me to stop. none of my bikes have had a t-stat before this and this model didnt have one previously. and in the event of an overheat episode its way easier to top it all off in one shot w/o a t-stat in the way.

if the cooling system had a much, much larger volume, the speeds were up and the loads were way, way less? then yes, i can totally see the benefit of controling the flow outweighing the restriction for a more blanced opperating temp.

a t-stat wont stop your hard-enduro bike from overheating and that's not it's intended use, quite the contrary. under slow speeds/heavy loads, once all the coolant's temp reaches the t-stat's opening threshold it'll stay open and then it's just a restriction and it wont close again until enough air past the radiators cools off the juice and causing it to shut.

ymmv!
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Also, note that a restriction in the flow path, while reducing flow rate, also may increase the pressure of the water in the jacket, thus increasing its boiling point and making it more resistant to local vaporization.

I understand and agree with your general thoughts that a thermostat may not be needed on these types of bikes in the types of riding many (most?) of us do!
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I was going to mention something similar to that and in addition there is more complete heat exchange from block to coolant. At least that is one school of thought.
    Edit:
    I see rajobigguy was posting the same thing (said better) at the same time.
  5. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    girls girls girls....dont make me pull this car over. the job is done and it freakin' rips.

ok- back to the TOPIC at hand.....(MATT, please post this in the 2T Thread Index thingy for me so others can find it maybe huh? it has other ways to do this that are just as good and a lot thriftier!)

flow check: its MASSIVE. much better. the barrel and head are nice and hot- as the jacket ports diameter provide plenty of resitriction....hoses are warm. things are NOW working a designed. will pay to check the plug once to make sure it didnt lean it out. this is at idle. in case yer blind or your monitor is crapola, it's a thumb thick jet of water and it's FA-LOWING:

005.JPG

looks professional. and it is! texture coated the shark-bite plug in the by-pass hose with my t-shirt, hey, it's better than a thumb print. paint was wet and i was in a hurry. i need to find a black hose clamp. shark-bite has the funky spring clips but, i dont trust those here. there are no clearance issues with tank etc... the hoses will rot and blow away before these fittings leak. they are light, reuseable a gajillion times, and, they are easy to get in and out of the hoses. and made is USA!

001.JPG

before:

003.JPG

after:

002.JPG

what would you rather have on a long crappy ride? yeh right! lol.
    Tinken and rajobigguy like this.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    top view. dont laugh at my tank cushion. i kept losing the black one. this one's easy to find. :

003.JPG

the doctor is pleased ....the patient? not so much. kinda skeered, ready to go home now....

006.JPG

that's all for today. keep the ideas coming. you guys inspired me on this one. and kyle and rajo? just wait til yer father gets home!
    Ruffus, Tinken, Motosportz and 3 others like this.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Psssst.....don't look now, but there's some scary guy in your garage!:eek::rolleyes:
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    ...heard he stalks biker chicks....:eek:
    454x likes this.
  9. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    pvduke,
    Since the 09 didn't have a thermostat, what parts are different? (besides the obvious hoses) My 09 looks pretty neat and clean, which parts would you have to use from an 09 to accomplish what you did with the fittings?
  10. rajobigguy Administrator

Yeah guys, lets try and keep this thing on track. PVDuke had come up with a clean viable solution to his overheating problems. The problem is specific to his particular make and model and what he came up works so lets leave it at that. This might not be the right solution for everyhting and everyone but in this case it accomplished what he after so thanks for coming up with a nice alternative for those that having the same issue.:thumbsup:

I will be eliminating any posts about themodynamics as they do not belong in this thread. If you feel a need to debate the science behind Bernulies principals, prictional equivilents or velocity vs flow then start antother thread.
    pvduke likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No your not.

Relax, 99% of us get it and what you did. Carry on.
    Coffee, Ruffus, rajobigguy and 2 others like this.
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    sorry- miss-typed. meant this "thread". got some personal stuff im dealing with here at home, really distracted. my bad. :( i like this thread. it covers both ends of the mod spectrum. wana see more ideas too.

dougy- from the asking around i did, if the rads are the same the 09-10 hoses should fit right up.
    rajobigguy likes this.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Love the AN fittings, they look awesome! Let us know how the new coolant works, I'm sure it's headache solved. :)
    pvduke likes this.
  14. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    yup. saturday. its getting the spurs put to it up BlSht hill, wall of doom and more. if it dont puke 'n pop there it wont. thanks again for the support ZipTy Racing and everyone.
    rajobigguy and Motosportz like this.
  15. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    baaarroooop!

dynamit 5 02.jpg
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i just rant the p#'s...the '09 and '12 pump covers are the same. so- to make the hose swap from '12 to '09'ish you need the (2) top head to radiator hoses (easy to make from bulk!) and the single two-spigot bottom hose from radiators to the pump cover (easy to make too from bulk hose and a "T").

matter of fact, it's prolly easier to do that than what i did...meh. i got no life so...what the heck! check out the parts manuals for some good shots of it all.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    He just missed the pipe guard :banghead:
    wait4me likes this.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles: