1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc wr125 or crf250x

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jacob280zx, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    hi I currently ride a 1996 honda xr200r. Its my first bike and was good for learning the basics of riding. Now I found these wr 125's(2010-2013) and was wondering if it would be a good replacment or step up to the xr. I weigh around 160lbs and am 6'1". I usually ride at places like vedder mountain, if thats helps
  2. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the WR is a good bike. the crfx is also a good bike, just be sure to put good valves in it right away if you get it.

at the same time, be ready to rebuild any 125 that you buy. new crank bearings, a rod and a piston should be on your to do list.

like any used bike check your linkege and swing arm bearings and your wheel bearings. make sure your steering head turns without and catching.

all these things can also help you negotiate a price also. parts are usually cheep, just be sure you know what your getting into. it helps me to get a list of things i call worst case things, then price it out and add that to the total cost of the bike.

i paid $4K for my 2011 wr300 with a fresh motor and new tires, but it needed every bearing besides the wheel bearings replaced and a radiator when i looked at it. also if you get something from a dealer make sure they treat you right on parts like skid plates and rad gaurds, all that stuff adds up so jump on a heavy price break while you can!
  3. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I haven't owned a WR, but I did own a 2005 CRF 250x.

Like razornpc said, they are prone to valve problems. Replace the oem valves with steel valves and you won't have a problem again. Once the valves on mine started to go, they went fast. Fortunately, it was fairly cheap to redo since the parts are so abundant. I had the work done by Racers ER and they did a very nice job.

The suspension on the X is absolutely awesome. Probably the best suspension I've had to date. Either bike will provided night-and-day handling over the ol' XR.

The small bore 2 stroke is going to be a big difference from your XR, but I know that everyone loves them. I just bought my first two stroke, and I definitely think the two stroke will make you a better rider because of the way you have to ride it. There was a WB 165 in the classifieds a couple of days ago...that would be a good one to check out.

If you're into trail-trail riding or dual sports, the 250X is easy to get a license plate for in many states and comes with the proper electrical capacity for lights.
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I just picked up and flipped (re-sold) an XR200 and it's nothing like the two bikes you are looking at now of course. Of the two you are looking at no question I'd get the WR125. In fact they are so cheap new I'd get a new one. But that's just me. Heck the 2012-13's come with a complete 144 kit ready to bolt on. If going the used route, I'd still get a used 2-stroke over a used 4-stroke. I have an 08 Husky CR165 now (was 125/144) and it's my all time favorite bike and at 53 it's been quite a few bikes now LOL. I've ridden a friends 2007 CRF250X and did like the suspension but honestly that's about it. I couldn't wait to get my 165 back. I just love how light the small bore Huskys feel when riding them and how well the turn. The brakes, clutch, and ergos all feel better to me too than the 250X. I guess what it boils down to me is: 1. the 125 Huskys feel better overall. 2. I can fix/maintain it myself where the 4-strokes cost more and I'd need help when the time does come for engine repairs.
    wallybean likes this.
  5. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    After a XR200 the CRF is going to be easier to get along with straight off but thats not the whole picture, the WR after you have come to terms with the 2 stroke ways like the rather defined power band is going to make you a better/faster rider in the long run
    Most CRFs will already of had the valves changed ! if not you will be definatly changing them, the later bikes are better though
    The WR has as already noted has the 144 kit free with it and a awfull lot of used items will already be fitted with it and again as stated thanks to good old Walt they can be made into a 165
    My personal choice would be the Husky but I really do miss the fuel consumption of a 4 stroke sometimes as the little screamer can eat through it at a rather alarming rate if used hard.
    wallybean likes this.
  6. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The XR200 is a great bike with wimpy suspension. I put 1987 suspension on mine to improve it. The engines are more than adequate. But that said the Husky WR125 is better than a CRF250X. The CRF is nothing like the XR200 in reliability. I have a 2011 WR150 / 167 that is for sale now and a new 2013 WR125 / 165 to replace it. I love the Husky. I keep my XR200R around to ride AHRMA Post Vintage events and work trails on. I can also use it as a backup bike if need be as it can compete with modern bikes. Get a Husky and you will not regret it. You may if you get the CRF.
    ray_ray, john01 and wallybean like this.
  7. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    I probably will get the 125 new or lightly used. I saw some dyno charts of a honda crf250x and saw that the torque dropped away at about 7000rpm while the 125 had peak torque longer(wr150). Another bike that I would consider would be the 2013 txc310 but would it be too big of a step from the xr
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    IMO, it depends on what type of rider you are. Do you like to cruise, check out the sight's and have the magic button? 250X
    Or do you want to carve corners, slide the ass end out and hear the motor sing under you? 150

I wouldn't own a 250X unless it were free, but that's me. It's heavy, lazy and boring IMO. I've put many hours on my bro-in-laws and I didn't care for it.
    Doesn't make it a bad bike though. It just makes it a bad bike for someone who's aggressive.
  9. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    When I ride trails I sometimes get slowed down by my bike due to the suspension. I don't really want to go slow, I find it boring. I don't want to carry a battery and starter. I also would like to start riding hard through the woods and improve my riding skills.
    ray_ray likes this.
  10. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The 310 would be a great bike too. It's smooth enough that you won't get into much trouble. Not sure where you are located but in Colorado you can rent a 250 and 310
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I think the 310 is a bit easy to ride then a 250 because it has a little extra torque. Tough call though cause these two strokes sound like a lot of fun. I was raised on four strokes so I have just stayed with what I'm used to.
  12. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    When you reach the limits of your bike,you really can't progress further as a rider. I doubt that half of us can reach the limit of a modern off-road competition bike. Food for thought!:thumbsup:.
    Zjw and jacob280zx like this.
  13. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    The 310 sounds like alot of fun because of the power, but I keeping reading that a 125 stroke really improves riding skills which is what I'm looking for. There are two husky dealers in my area and I'll see if I could go check them out. In terms of maintenance which one is more expensive run
  14. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The 4-strokes and I own both. Get the 125/144. I've seen new ones for as low as $4600.00 and they have crazy low financing. Get the 125/144 :D.
  15. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    I started back riding as an adult on a XR 250, and of course started thinking about a CRF 250x.

I came across the Husky one day online and asked the same questions. Norm, Joe, TM, and others told me to go for the Husky.

I did, bought a new one in the crate. My riding skills are night and day. Was a good rider before, now I'm a great rider.

I'm on my 3rd 125 in 5 years and will get another in the spring. I have ridden 250 2t's and 4T's.
    I'll take a 125/144 anyday....you WON'T regret it.

I see you are in BC(I'm moving to Revy next week) so climbing hills will take a bit of an adjustment, but once you do, there are VERY FEW climbs you can't tackle and have a blast doing it.
    huskybear, jacob280zx and ray_ray like this.
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Yes the 310 has plenty of power but most all 4t machines are very forgivable and easy to ride ... They seem like street bikes to me with off-road suspensions and chopped bodies to remove weight from the machine ... About all 2t machines seem like screamers to me and just wanna run like a scolded ape by default ...

The 125 engines and small bore engines in general have to kept at or very near its power-band or you lose your speed and momentum and will be down-shifting to get the engine back up to power ... This causes the rider to stay on top of his riding because any mistake where the engine is taken away from its power and you will lose time and speed ...On a bigger CC bike, you can be sloppy in many places on the trail and just use the throttle for power to regain your speed ...

The Husky 125\144\150 or 165 2t machines will be a very cool, top-notch, professional grade bike to own and ride ... For years and years maybe ...

---

People still argue over maintenance costs of the 4t and 2t machines ... I'll still say a 2t is cheaper in most cases in the long run and if a 4t engine ever has head problems, the cost can be very high and over the top ...

--

Good luck and ride safe ...
    jacob280zx likes this.
  17. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    So I been phoning around to different dealers and no one has a wr 125 or txc310 in stock:confused:. The closest I'll be to testing out a wr 125 would be this spring or I could just order one and just do it. I'll still try a cr 125, I know it will be different but it will probably give a good idea of what the wr is like. Surfer hope everything goes well with the move. Revelstoke is going to be dry at least or full of snow, here in Abbotsford its raining basicly everyday in the winter:cheers:
  18. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    When comparing high performance racing bikes or serious woods bikes, only a moron would argue over maint costs between 2t and 4t machines... or someone who hasn't owned a bunch of both kinds of bikes. Anyone who thinks 4T machines are cheaper to maintain needs a trip to the Shrink for some serious mental therapy.
  19. jacob280zx Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xr200r
    How much would a 165 kit cost and where would I get it?
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    $680 complete. Email me. motosportz@gmail.com and I'll give you the full scoop. thanks

as for the 250x -v- the husky with 165cc kit for me would be the 165 all day every day. Feels much lighter, handles far better, has great flexible and the main kicker is it is flat out the most fun bike I have ever owned and I have owned LOTS of bikes. It will also surprise you big time how well it will climb and do other things well you would think were a down side for a small displacement bike. GREAT machine.