1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wr250 vs 250 EXC

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by chamber66, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    KTM has pissed of a few dealers as they've gotten bigger- mine for example. KTM has a nice product ans has for years. they are getting pretty pricey, tho.
    I like the handling and suspension on the new 300EXC. My old 300 didn't handle anywhere near as well as my WR or my TE.
    I think iot comes down to personal motor preferences and pricing. I think the Huskys are a better deal and there's plenty of aftermarket out there for the new ones.
  2. gixxerw1 Husqvarna
    A Class

KTM=Harley, buy a harley to have instant freinds, buy a KTM to have the same plus you must be fast if you ride a KTM right?
  3. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

What he said.

One thing is interesting though and sort of goes against my own logic is Motorsportz ride report on his '94 [I think] 250WR that he got for $300. Maybe the modern, up to date"ness" of the KTM is overrated? It would just make me more comfortable to see a bit of an overhaul to the bike. Although -- the bikes seem to scoot right along at Glen Helen and the ISDE.

So the difference between the two bikes is narrowing in my mind. I wish Husky would put a decent size tank on the bikes though.
  4. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

Yea KTM isn't perfect either. I had a dealer two blocks from my house and they got pissed with KTM and dropped them. But I still have three KTM dealers closer than the Husky dealer who is four hours away. With the internet it's not that big of a deal, but I like developing a relationship with a local dealer. Sometimes it's fun just to go in and shoot the shit with your dealer.

Huskys can certainly be had for a great value. We are fortunate here too, because of an area KTM dealer who gives generous discounts. Bottom line is if your fast, your fast, doesn't matter what you're riding.
  5. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yep, the dealer I bought both of mine from dropped them last summer too. I stopped in there one day on the way to one of my favorite trail systems to pick up a few things and see if he had the new '09s on the floor yet,...and he wasn't a KTM dealer any more.

But what's much worse is that the last time I stopped by my Husky shop where I bought my WR300 just this past spring, he told me he was thinking about asking Husqvarna to start looking for someone to take all his inventory and take over his franchise and he'd go back to just selling Kawis and Hondas from now on! Now that made me queasy.
    He says Husky puts him on the back burner on getting parts to him, bikes he orders for customers, and warranty stuff,...and he's sick of having customers get pissed off at him.

Thank God for Hall's, Bottone's, Tasky's, Up-State Cycles,...and UPS and Yellow Freight! Huh?
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    IMHO 2 stokes became what they are about 10 years ago and from that point only little refinements have happened. My 99 WR250 was one of the best WR's I had. My 94 is very close to the current offering and is actually better in some areas. GasGases change very little and are still very good. My point is most 250 2 stokes are pretty similar and more a choice of personal perferance than outright one is better than the other. Personally I feel is yamaha made the WR250 again based on the current YZ250 that would be the bike to beat. That motor has always been good. Hell the 96 WR250 Yamaha I rode once had an awesome motor and was a good bike. Pick the one that fits you best and does what you like best and massage it to perfection.

Sure hope husky builds a new 250/300 platform, more to loose weight than anything. Then get us that 200 we have been begging for for years please.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Funny....

I much prefer the suspension, handling, trail traits, etc. of my old-school 2009 Husky than my newer, aluminum framed, twin chamber forked YZ250.

It's all about preference. I hope Husky doesn't change the basic design and screw it up.
  8. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah I'm with ya PC. I tend to like the "tried and true" designs too.
  9. f-five Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm new to this site and Huskys in general, but here is my 2 cents. I have been a long time KTM dirtbike rider plus I have/had plenty of their street bikes plus I have tried to convert a jap mx 250 or two as well. I recently purchased a very clean 2002 Husky CR250 that I'm converting to a woods bike. I'm a 6'6" 220lb average offroad rider.

Owned:
    1999 125EXC
    1999 200MXC
    2001 300MXC
    2002 300EXC (1st one)
    2004 250EXC
    2005 250EXC
    2005 250SX
    2005 450EXC
    2006 300XCW
    2002 300exc (2nd one)

Lots of seat time:
    2006 400EXC
    2008 300XC
    2009 250Xc
    2009 250XCW
    2009 300WR (Husky power)

Hands down the new chassis 2008-2010 is the best handling offroad bike I have been on, you have a definite advantage if you are racing with one of these weapons. So for this discussion I will leave these bikes out, plus the cost keeps me away. I really don't like spending that much cash on a dirtbike that I'm going to take out and hammer it.

Out of the list of bikes I've owned the 2002 300EXC was my all time favorite. The 02 300 had ergos that fit my large frame, tons of torquey power, a good mid but very little topend, the 43mm forks were plush in the nasty stuff but not a MX bike by far. Now to your question about the 250EXC. For me the 250EXC lacks the bottom end that is required to lug my girth up some of the long pull hills, it requires more clutch work or a lot more speed all the way though. For me this has been an issue since the 300 made me lazy I would get caught making the trip halfway up only to turn it around and head down to try again with more speed. That is really my only 250EXC complaint the bike rides a lot lighter than my 300s did but I found I was rev'ing the motor a lot more on the 250 as well. The 2004-2007 KTMs ergos didn't fit me very well as they tried to make the bikes turn better the shortened the bar-peg-seat dimensions. All that being said I currently ride a 02 CR250. The husky has some real character, it vibrates like my KTM LC4 bikes, the ergos are more like my 02 KTM nice and roomy, the 250 motor pulls off the bottom like my old 300 but rev's out much nicer, the MX valved suspension is probably the worst I have ever been on, the front brake seems weak and starting the bike is going to take some getting used to. For my the ergos and the motor are so much better than my 04-06 KTMs that even with the horrid suspension I'm going to happly spend money on this bike getting it straightened out. Good luck with your decision, I would be more than happy to discuss any of these other bikes as well.
  10. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    I owned a 2001 Husky WR 250 and a 2006 Husky WR 250...and to tell you the truth I liked the 01 better...Ergonomically it just fit me better. It was more plush, and had a more predicatable front end. Even after a front and rear revalve and some tricks to lower the seat height, I just couldn't wrap myself around the 06 Husky to well...I simply couldn't connect with the bike...Eventually I ended up selling it and replacing it with an 08 KTM 250 XC (lower seat height). Put the correct front and rear springs for my weight, installed a Motosportz damper and I honestly couldn't ask for anything better in the woods for ME at this time. Yeah, the motor is kind of electric and softer than the husky, but it's decptive...Especially with the dual map ignition...1 press of the button and you can lug in through nastiest slop all day. Press the button again, and Mr Hyde has returned...I really like this motor. BUT I love husky motors...I truly do, but the seat height (I'm 5'11, 225, Athletic build) and bike weight really got to me after awhile...Vintage wise, even though I own 2 Maicos, I'll only race husqvarna at the national level...I'd love to see a new husky wr 250 platform in the future too...
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ty Davis Factory Husky just did the 24 hour race at Glen Helen on a WR 300 finished
    3rd overall Then This weeken same bike did the AMA National Hare and Hound Desert Race Finished 7th overall .There must be a reason all this testing of a 2 stroke
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The top 2 stroke at the race. :thumbsup:
  13. f-five Husqvarna
    AA Class

I would have to agree, the new KTMs are some of the best woods bikes I have been on. KTM just priced me out of their products and some of the other brands are just good enough for me. Since none of them are paying me to ride them and I'm not good enough to race for money, I figure I should enjoy it and ride for miles and smiles!