1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st YZ/CR Fork Swap

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Well, if you one your CR fork I think you might change your mind.
  2. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Could be, but I'd still be dissatisfied with how it's operating compared to the SSS.

I'll take pictures when I tear them down :)
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have been told the husky forks are the old design yamaha internals as well. I too am under the assumption that the SSS forks are a step up evolution wise. I don't know any of this first hand but have been told by suspension tuners this is the case.
    JRod4928 likes this.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    You don't have to take pictures for me, I've had all these forks apart. All I was trying to do was explain to you that changing the forks for the new Yamaha versions is a waste of time and money. There are no position sensitive parts in your fork like a 2005 Yamaha. The internal parts are just the same as a 2007 Yamaha fork. Just change the valving in your CR fork.
    smadams68 and jmetteer like this.
  5. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I think you can have dual chamber Ohlins internals put in your forks. If I had Kayaba instead of 50mm Zokes that's the way I'd go.
    sabortooth likes this.
  6. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I knew you did but I didn't take the bait.

The whole purpose of all of this is to change the valving.

Basically what I'm doing if I buy SSS forks and install the internals in my fork is changing the valving. With the benefit of being able to resell the other forks. I'll probably break even or spend $100 at most. As opposed to $500 for a revalve at a shop.
  7. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    If I had the $ I'd think about it, but unfortunately $ is the reason why I'm thinking of the fork swap instead of a proper revalve.
    sabortooth likes this.
  8. JSK73 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB144
    I was under the same impression. The SSS stands for the speed sensitive system and it evolved into what it currently is about 2009 and the next evolution was supposedly the 2011 era. They are good forks and one of the many reasons my "next bike" purchase will be a fuel injected yz250f

That said I don't know if I would go jacking around with any major geometry changes without having a place to go and feel things out and experiment with how it feels TO YOU. I've spent a pretty major amount of time dicking around with the forks on my current bike. Me, before thinking about changing the whole front end out I figured I'd learn about how to pull them all apart and service them myself, bleed them properly, figure out what fork oil weight I'd like to try, spring preload, etc.

That new yamaha and my WB144 complete all that I could ever want in the "dirt bike land" portion of my brain at the moment...
    sabortooth likes this.
  9. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    All this talk about the difference or not between theses forks is driving me crazy. I have a 12 cr 150 and think that the suspension, front and back is awesome. I have let a couple of other guys let my bike and they love it too. I hope u find what you need, but I am very satisfied with whatever forks I have!
    454x likes this.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    That's just it, suspension is personal preference. I wish a factory suspension would work for me but they never make them for a 6'6" 215 lb guy. Actuall they don't make much of anything that works for me right off the shelf. You're one of the lucky ones.
  11. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Well, I can tell you this, the Yamaha fork is about an inch longer than the Husky, the axle holes are bigger, the brake caliper mount won't fit your Brembo and you'll have to use Yamaha fork guards.

The 2007-11 Yamaha use the same base valve assembles and mid valve pistons that are in your fork, as are a majority of the parts of the inner chamber. This is where all of the important stuff is.

If you are savvy enough to handle a fork swap then you should be able to handle a RACE-TECH GOLD VALVE install. That would be the most sensible way to go.
  12. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    If you just want to change the valving, why not just change the valving in your forks? Shims are less than 1 dollar each, and it should be easy to find stock valving specs from a 2006+ YZ.

Swapping the entire forks just to get different valving is like buying an entirely new carb for the pilot and main jet.
    2premo and jmetteer like this.
  13. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    All of that is true if the internals are the same. That's what the discussion has been about to this point.

I'm going to open up the forks and take a look soon, hopefully tonight. If they're the same as SSS, I may just do that.
  14. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    just a side note and not to cause any excitement
    makers order parts to fit what they believe to be the market their buyers fit
    more specifically Yamaha orders their forks tuned to what they feel their riders want and Husky the same
    after buying your bike you probably changed a few things to fit your style, this should be considered the same
  15. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    That's true. I am going to open up the husky fork and see what I find.

In a way, I hope that some of you guys are right and that the internals are identical to the SSS, because it makes my life easier. But if not, then we are back to square 1.
  16. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    After much research - I decided that I'm going to just revalve the Husky on my own. Either using Race Tech, or getting familiar with Restackor and going that route.

One reason why I was afraid of reshimming on my own was because I'd be completely guessing and asking others for what they've done, etc. With Restackor, I love that I won't be 'shooting in the dark' since Restackor helps you make an educated guess.

Thanks for the help guys, and thanks for helping me talk my way through it :thumbsup:
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    that's why we're here
  18. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I have serviced my TXC 310 forks which are the same as the 2012 Cr1125 forks and they are the same as the 2006+ Yamaha forks. They are definitely not the same as the 2005 Yamaha forks.