1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 450CR

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by MarkVMod0, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Great looking workmanship, what a difference from the Craigslist ad. I'm going to look through my box of Husky stuff and see if I have a tank bolt, not sure, but may still have the one off of my gone but not forgotten 250.
    Steve
  2. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a new slide for a Bing 54 that I obtained from Bing Agency www.bingcarburetor.com I bought it because I was trying a modification on my original slide to improve off idle response. Since the modification worked well, I left the original slide. If you are interested, I'll pm you some pictures of the new slide, it is not exactly as original as they had them machined/ fabricated since the slides are no longer available. You can obtain new needles, jets, floats, etc. from them. Also have a spare Bing 54 body if you should find you need one. As noted by Looney, I think the seat bases were silver, but may have been bare metal originally, can't remember for sure, but not black in those years.
    I run 1" longer Progressive shocks on my 70, helps it turn a little better. Brake rod is plenty long. But then 1970 has a left hand brake pedal so may not mean anything with respect to your bike.
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Went and took a look at my old seat (have a new one on the bike with plastic base for racing use). The old metal base is definitely frame silver color.
    Sorry, don't have the tank bolt.
    Man, I'm glad to see the progress you're making.
    Steve
  4. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Good information Steve!

If you don't need that slide I'll buy it from you.

Carb body is okay. The slide guide is loose and I am sure it was sucking air from there but I think I can re-stake the guide and be okay, maybe use a pinch of JB weld to seal it.

Good news on the seat pan. I can paint that now and put a new set cover on it.
  5. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Those Curnutt I bought aren't quite right. I found a guy named Scott who worked for Curnutt and he has the knowledge and parts to set the shocks up so I'll be sending the shocks out to him.

Bummer as I paid a fair amount of deniro for these shocks.

Anyway, they will be right for the 450 when done.

Crikey! Once this bike is done I may just put it on a pedestal to look at! I have had an easier time locating CBX parts then I have parts for this Husky.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    well at least when its done you will have restored one of the rarest of the husky big bores. not many 450 around...
  7. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I did not know that when I took on the project. Just how many 450CR's did husqvarna turn out?

Now I am glad I used as much of the original parts as possible.

I am however looking forward to completing this bike and getting back to work on the 4 CBX'S I have to restore. The husky seems like a bull in a china shop as compared to the CBX yet like the CBX has some technical innovations and quirks to be attentive to.
  8. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Assembling the carb today after cleaning and I discovered I am missing the float pivot pin.

Anyone have a spare I could purchase?
  9. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I've got one I can drop in the mail Monday...
  10. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You may have already come across this, its in the #6 Husky Club newsletter from the CH tech reference section. Scroll down several pages and you'll find a service bulletin about modifying the atomizer in your carb, applies specifically to WR series 450s, but you might like to see it. This newsletter is also where I found the modification I did to my slide, helped the off idle response.

http://www.yourhusky.com/files/Husky_Club_Newsletter_No_06.pdf

Here is some really good info about the Bing carbs from the old Husky Club website, I found it very helpful.

http://huskyclub.com/bing.htm
  11. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    "Those Curnutt I bought aren't quite right. I found a guy named Scott who worked for Curnutt and he has the knowledge and parts to set the shocks up so I'll be sending the shocks out to him.

Bummer as I paid a fair amount of deniro for these shocks.

Anyway, they will be right for the 450 when done."

I'm here on the site Mark. I am Husky friendly and have a couple 3. I will make them work for you. Too bad you got ripped off.

Scott
    markt2 and justintendo like this.
  12. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Thanks mucho Steve and Scott! Gotta love this site.

Everyone has been greatly helpful!
    loony888 likes this.
  13. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I cleaned up the slide today. I am thinking they were chrome plated.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
  14. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sent you a PM regarding the hinge pin and new slide.

Here's some pictures that illustrate the difference between the #1 and #53 slides used in Husqvarna, in case you search for a better slide. #1 is correct for early big bore engines. None of my slides appear to have been plated. Look like pot metal but can be shined up with polishing compound. Yours does look like it has been plated. Interesting.

IMG486.jpg IMG484.jpg
  15. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    I noticed that little notch you put in the slide Steve. Did make a big difference?

Looking at my slide I am wondering if I could have it ceracoated? It fits the bore okay. I haven't measured it for clearances but if they are good maybe I can salvage it.

New slide from the Bing Agency was $120. They CNC machine them since Bing no longer has the #1 slide.
  16. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    justintendo likes this.
  17. Chayzed Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TC450,1978 390CR,1983 430 Wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    A gaggle of them
    I received Marks shocks today. The shocks are the worst "rebuilt or restored" I have ever seen. The paint is horrible, they were assembled incorrectly, silicone was used to try and seal them because of the assembly and smeared all over and painted on top of it, an extra Oring that does not belong in the shock to try and seal the leaking. I cycled the shocks by hand and the new seals are leaking. The springs and preload spacer's were home made and not done at the Curnutt factory. A COMPLETE CLUSTER. I will leave it up to Mark to out the ebay seller. I have an idea what he paid as I had seen the sellers pricing. THIS CRAP REALLY GET'S ME IRRITATED.

I am going to make these right as cheaply as I can do it.

Scott
    husqyman, dartyppyt, 454x and 2 others like this.
  18. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    Had a nice talk with Scott, It was great to reminisce the past and pick up on some facts about Curnutt shocks that I did not know.

I knew the shocks were not right when I had them in hand and looked at them closer. There was a film of oil on the shafts that I thought was assembly lube. I wiped them down and cycled them a few time and more oil appeared. This is when I went looking online to identify this model of Curnutt shock. I found one Curnutt set that had spacers for preload but they did not look anything like what I had so I kept digging and that's when I found Scott.

Scott and I talked a bit about the shocks and he said to send them to him and he would take a look and get back with me. I am glad I did to.

I contacted the ebay seller. He would like to have had the shocks back to look at them and felt he did a very good job on the rebuild but he would refund my money or do a re-rebuild. I just asked him for some compensation, this only because Scott is not a competitor on ebay and Scott has years of experience with Curnutt and knows what he is doing and talking about and I really want to keep the Curnutts and have them period correct and functional.

Scott is giving me a very good deal, no! a great deal on brining these Curnutt shocks back to factory condition correct for the era.

A big high five for Scott:applause:
  19. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Awesome! Yeah, been burned a few x on ebay.

Got set of cases and asked if they were rotted. Ha! Guy used JB weld to smear over rot and painted over it.

Eventually got my money back. But took long time.
  20. MarkVMod0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 CR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CBX's,BMW K1600GTS
    20151005_123221.jpg

The before picture, these were rebuilt....
    I'll post after pictures when Scott sends them back