1st Ride, WR125: We Have A Winner, Folks!

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Mar 15, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

We'll be meeting up at Baumgartner this time around :)

WoodsChick
  2. fastinmymind Husqvarna
    C Class

Question for WoodsChick

Hi there, I am new to forums, but heard you would be the one I should get in touch with for some advice. I feel like I am tracking down the great oracle!

I am 5'2, 105lbs, and, fast in my mind. On a YZ85 that has a big wheel kit and lots of mods. I am looking for a grown ups bike now that I am in my 30's. I think the WR125 is the one, and planning to pick one up at MotoExotica. I just wanted to check with you to see why you chose the Husky WR125 over the KTM 200 XC, or the KTM 150 XC.

I have ridden street over 10 years, dirt for a few starting on a TTR125. I can go anywhere, do anything, not fast but not slow (want to go fast but crash too much) and I am wore out at the end of the day on my YZ85. I am wanting a smoother ride (wheels/suspension) and a broader power band. I think I am crashing more from lack of stability (and balls) and I am hoping for a broader less abrupt punch. I am hoping the 21 inch wheels over the 19's will also give me a more stable feeling. Ok, this is way to long. I will post now and cross my fingers that it reaches you.
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi, fastinmymind! Welcome to CafeHusky :cheers: My first dirtbike was a CR80 and I rode the wheels off of it for a few years. When I moved up to a 125 with 18/21 wheels I couldn't believe how much easier it was to ride. The bigger wheels definitely smooth out the trails and make ruts and trail junk much less of an issue. Simply having a longer wheelbase will make things less dramatic and frantic. If you can ride an 80 in the woods you can ride anything.

I know this is probably tantamount to blasphemy, especially coming from a moderator of a Husky site, but I really have no brand loyalty. I buy what works for me, whether it's Spanish, Japanese, Austrian or Italian/German/Swedish. My sig line illustrates this well, I think. Before I test-rode the WR125 I really was hoping it would work out for me, and that it would be the best bike for my needs. I love the way it looks and I wanted to own another Husky, but I wasn't willing to pull the trigger on it just because of that, or because I am so heavily invested here at CafeHusky. I was quite pleased after my test ride because I knew I wouldn't have to somehow justify buying another Husky. It was the right bike for me, and it worked:thumbsup:

I chose the WR125 over the KTM200 because it handles about 1000% better. I've not ridden a KTM200 that was newer than an `05 (or was it an `06?) but the WR feels a lot lighter, too, even though it probably isn't. I've ridden more than my fair share of KTM200's and while I love the motors I just can't come to terms with the handling. One of them was lowered and revalved for someone my size/weight by the great Les Tinius of LT-Racing fame and the suspension worked great, but they turn like Mack trucks. I own a KTM450 and it, too, has a very limited turning radius. They are more expensive to purchase initially, and they tend to nickle and dime you when it comes to buying parts. Some things are fairly priced, but other things tend to be more expensive than they should be. Just my take after having 3 KTMs in my garage, I'm sure others have had different experiences... and I'm sure I would get burned alive if I were to say this over on KTMTalk :excuseme: I very briefly looked at the 150, but it, too, was expensive and I wasn't all that pleased with the reliability of the 144 that preceded it...which incidentally has the exact same number of cc's as the "150." I took one ride on the WR125 and it was all over but the buyin' :) I am supremely happy with my purchase, even though I don't have the bike tuned to my satisfaction just yet. Be aware that it will take some tweaking to get it to run the way you want it. It is also alarmingly tall, the tallest dirtbike I've ever ridden. At 5'2" and 105lbs you might want to factor in a professional revalve/respring/lowering job, but that's just my opinion.
    My suspension will be getting shipped off in about 2 weeks for this very thing:D

For me, at 5'1", I think the WR125 will give me what I need...a lightweight machine that handles almost instinctively and has a rockin' motor that makes me smile when I'm riding it. The 125's aren't for everyone, that's for sure, but I can't imagine a better bike for someone that's coming off a mini that wants an easier bike to ride. Husky really did get it right with this bike, it is magically fun to ride:thumbsup:

I should have mine finely tuned and lowered by the end of April if you're interested in a test ride. The first hit is free :devil:

I hope this is what you were looking for!

..."great oracle"...:lol: That's funny...:)

WoodsChick
  4. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

obligatory gas gas plug ....
    yo fast ... look into a gas gas 200 ...
    gassers are noted for being good for the inseam challenged..
    they have crap resale so you can pick up real good ones for real cheap!! My main ride is a gasser 300, I have an 08 cr 125 that is now a 144. My main gripe with husky is they are so freaking tall!!! I have a 30 inch inseam ... I can barely touch a toe on the husky but could practically flat foot the gasser 200. Gasser felt smaller and look to be easier to move around on. Gas gas also makes a 125 but they are rare and I don't know anything about them. husky probably makes the best woods going 125 right now.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

OK, I'll bite....3inch inseam.:eek: Sorry skid I couldn't help it. :)

Walt
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've ridden 2 GG200's (and several other 300's that weren't mine) and there are 3 GG's in my garage. I was very interested in a new EC250/300 since the 2010's are a bit lighter now (although not enough for my taste) but I couldn't swallow spending $8k for a new 2-stroke... especially one that will be worth half that (or less) in 2 years. They do seem to be comfortable ergonomically for shorter people, and their motors and handling are sublime, but they've always been a little heavier than their Japanese/Austrian counterparts. This might not mean much for someone that is the size that the bikes are meant for, but for us shorties it really does make a difference. And for someone coming off of a YZ85, it might be a bit much. The re-sale does make them attractive, though :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  7. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

You'll bite what??
    get your eyes checked walt ... it says 30 inch not 3!! :D

can't argue with your overall assesment of the gassers woodschick, at 180 lbs the weight did not factor into my thinking .. the 125's got it covered in that respect
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Glad you made the edit the beer god's had cracked me up. :thumbsup:

Walt
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    From a guy who thought his Mikuni main jet was... O6E, not 390! Takes one to know one!:busted:
  10. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Oh, I was wondering about that.:confused::lol::lol::lol:
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I here ya Norm.:thumbsup: Maybe we should start a poll and see how many spare Spectacles everyone has lay'n around...:lol:
    I buy them from the dollar store a bunch at a time.

Woodsie are you thinking of sending your Front end to Les?
    I got mine (EC300) back two weeks ago from Les and the difference is shocking.
    Money very well spent. Les is a God when it come to suspension.:notworthy::notworthy:
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will do!:oldman:
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    :lol: I thought I was the only one who did that. :cheers:
  14. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

ouch! you mean old bastard!! you don't forget anything do you?

my eyes are fine .. it does say 06E if you look at it backwards and upside down. It wasn't a vision problem ... it was an orientation issue!! And with all the silly codes they use on carb bits .... 063 is very pluasible .. besides, all my other carbs are kehins!!
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gee, I dunno, Norman...that sounds like a pretty airtight explanation to me :D

We've taken to carrying a magnifying glass in the van when we go riding. In fact, we have one stationed in the garage, too. I need to have my glasses with me in order to read a map, and that's the only thing I don't like about glasses.

Speaking of riding my WR...(:p)...I'll be riding it tomorrow with the JD-kitted PWK on it. I'm pretty excited about it, regardless of the rainy forecast :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Well, you can just box that rainy weather up and send it directly to me. Rainy weather is ALWAYS riding weather down here.:D

While your at it, box up the bike with it, K?
  17. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Well, I don't know about "boxing" it up and sending it down there, but I wouldn't mind throwing it on a trailer and hauling it down there sometime soon :) How far away are you from Oakland? Is there any decent riding to be had that's halfway between you and me?

That would be sooper-dooper fun :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  18. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Skid... hard to forget all my 125 buddies!:cheers:
    WoodsChick.... Post your jetting and results on the jetting thread. I rode mine today with JD kitted PWK for the first time. I need to tweak it some.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Nice pic! Looks a little like GPNF .... but nicer ;0)
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It is GPNF, bottom of 263 dark meadows. :thumbsup: Went up there a few weeks later and did a one man work party and fits a bunch of stuff on that trail before it became impassable.