1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2008 wr250 water jacket issues

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by sooper_arthur, Jul 11, 2009.

1. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    ive just pulled apart my 2008 wr250 to put in a thicker base gasket, and realized that the top water jackets and the bottom water jackets in the cylinder are not connected!!!. the water pump pulls water from the hose at the bottom of the cylinder but there isnt a way for more water to enter this area. thus the pump does absolutaly nothing!! and there is no water flow!! i cant beleive this machine is built this way.

im not sure if the factory forgot to drill out a portion of the cylinder after casting, or if they are all this way. if anyone knows any info about this subject or if youve got your cylinder off, please fill up the top water jackets and see if anything comes out the bottom.

thanks, and ill let you know if i find anything.

also who might be the best to talk to about this???
  2. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

You need to take that cylinder to your dealer and show them. If it is something that Husky has done I am sure they will stand behind it. I don't see how the bike would have run that way without overheating. Did it ever overheat?
  3. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    yea it has always run a little hot, not so much that it was unrideable but hotter then any of my other 2 strokes go... heres the problem tho, my dealer isnt a dealer anymore, so im not sure where to go from here...
  4. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

I haven't pulled a 2 stroke Husky as of late but if I remember correctly the coolant flow goes into the cylinder just below the exhaust pipe header and into the exhaust manifold and not from the engine cases to the cylinder like some of the Japanese MX bikes.

Also the "cylinder head" directs the coolant flow towards the front of the cylinder because that's the hottest area on the cylinder.

If the bike is running hot, you might want to go fatter on the main jet and also consider adding a coolant bottle.

https://www.halls-cycles.com/Catalog/PDF/Husqvarna .PDFs/2008/WR_250_2008_spare_parts.pdf

Hope that's a start.
  5. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    everyone is kinda missing the point here, the hole in the bottom front of the cylinder is in no way connected to the holes in the head, i can have only the cylinger on the bench and fill it with water and absolutaly no water comes out of the bottom front hole.
  6. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmmmph? Send the cylinder to a dealer and call the Husqvarna service 1.800 number!

Maybe you do have a defective cylinder?

Anything's possible.
  7. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    do you know a number i can call?
  8. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Send me the cylinder and head and I will send some pics to Husq Warranty for you.
  9. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    ummm? im not sure? who are you? scott rocher? if so i was talking to my friend dan watt from calgary, hes advised me to call you monday morning to figure something out... this bike did come from ross rocher sales, it was shipped to outback moto xreme here in lethbridge alberta.
  10. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is me. I remember selling that bike to Outback.

scott at rossrochersales dot com
  11. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    if anyone has a 2008 wr250 can you please look at the cylinder number on it. mine states a 99897, but the parts fiche calls for a 99895. thanks.
  12. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

My 2007 WR250 is 99897.

One of the things I love about my Huskies is they don't overheat and I don't have to do any special concoctions of coolant. :thumbsup:

I couldn't say the same for my KTM or my Gas Gas.
  13. Steve ROC Husqvarna
    B Class

as any progress been made on this one?
  14. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the aforementioned cylinder on my desk as well as a used one and they are exactly the same. Coolant does not go through either one from top to bottom.
  15. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    hey scott, i talked to your tech, and by now the cylinder should be shipped back out to me. but i forgot to ask why you have this spare cylinder around?? what kind of shape is it in?
  16. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    ive been doing some more research on this problem, talking to more dealers about it. the vast majority says it is an issue, why design a bike like that then put a water pump on it that has no way of circulating coolant?!?!

someone help please!! its my holidays and i have no bike to ride!!!
  17. topari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sooper, interesting post. Would you be able to post some good pictures so we can see for ourselves what you see ?
  18. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    yes i absolutaly will post some pics as soon as i get my cylinder back! if there is a production run of these things, then people need to know. there is most likely a handfully of people out there that have blown up a wr250, replaced the cylinder and have not even known there was an issue with it. if so there needs to be some attention brought to the issue.
  19. topari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are we talking about these holes not aligned with the head ?

Attached Files:

20. sooper_arthur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    many, but not enough!
    no actuallly if you look straight down into the front 2 holes you should be able to see all the way down through 2 smaller oval holes part way through the cylinder.

now if you look on either side of the cylinder on the outside you will see the vertical casting of where the water jacket should go. of course with the pv covers removed.

mine is simply undrilled, there are no smaller oval holes in the cylinder, thus the water cannot flow out the bottom. and the pump has nothing to circulate. :(