Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I agree that first bike in the row of eye candy has to be the strangest expansion chamber layout of the cones and degree of taper I have ever seen. I have made over 200 hand rolled cone expansion chambers since the late 70s for 2 stroke bikes and race quads. For lots of engine swaps and many vintage restoration pipes I guess you could say as old as I'm getting.

The one in the picture for street homolagation has a very long head pipe before the conical shape develops. It looks more like some of the trials 2 stroke designs. This long headpipe would cause very quick response and snappy performance. Down Low. This is the 125 model correct? Needless to say the race pipe looks much more conventional and ready for a good pipe guard also. Very vunerable to damage in the field of battle.

Great to see the 2 strokes still being done though and still making a comeback now from what, about 4 or 5 manufactures in Europe. To bad it's still carbureted. I'm not really saying it's a bad thing but the fuel injection on the production 2 strokes is only a year or so away I imagine.

Not much room there on the chassis to do much of anything with the radiators and all. I believe a better design could be done with a bit of work easily. Just to tuck it in much better and still have the ultimate profile and layout. A few more bends could easily be done and still have the ultimate shape tighter to the chassis. The final stinger length and diameter is very important if you're factoring in the silencer core as part of that overall stinger length, which is just as important. Pack the silencer as hard and solid as you can and the engine and pipe barely knows its on there. It can affect tuning drastically if too long.

I really like the looks of these bikes and can't wait until they are over here in the US with a headlight and license plates. If they ever do that. I'll be buying one for sure. It'll be the largest model 4 stroke version though. I don't plan on riding town to town unless it's down the US Border Road to the Border Patrols next stations AOR. I'm not looking for a true dual sport. It has to be a true Enduro. No turn signals needed where I live.

I'm leaning towards getting one of the Husqvarna's now before the KTMs. Thats if they ever make to the states and they are plateable.
  2. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    125 = 15 cv
    and after pipe and
    prepar motor 38/40 cv
    250 = ?
    300 = ?
  3. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

surely not! don't confuse a restricted race bike with a 15 hp "light motorcycle"!

the euro3 huskys, for example, are homologated to 4.8 hp (wr125), 8.8hp (wr250), and 9.6hp (wr300). the ktm are also in this power range. even the freeride250 is homologated to 10 hp only.

r
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Rasputin isnt there still that taxable HP formula in EU,,, that I remember from a long time ago? so they are never actual dyno numbers but some arbitrary number attached to the displacement or something like that?
  5. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

there's a special "light motorcycle" driver's license that goes "125cc, 11 kilowatts (15 hp) maximum, up to 0.1 kilowatt per kilogramm".
    (so even it there was a 15-hp homologation, you wouldn't be allowed to ride it with that driver's license, because the weight is too low)

enduro race bikes are something completely different. they were designed to win races, and then they are restricted until they pass homologation requirements. since these bikes have big carbs and tiny airboxes, they are having lots of problems to pass noise emission tests. on the two-stroke bikes, you end up with a restrictor that often only allows 4mm of throttle opening. in order to pass exhaust emissions, the jetting is often so lean that you need to always run the start-up choke if you ever want to ride the bike in this condition.

i have just found info on a ktm dealer site: the 2012 125exc is homologated to 4 kilowatts (5.4 hp) at 6500 rpm.

r
    Norman Foley and robertaccio like this.
  6. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    More than half the noise of a 2 stroke going by you at speed standing back about 100 ft or so is intake noise. Especially when modified or porting has been done. Hense the introduction of airbox intake silencers installed on the airboxes starting about 1988 on most all forestry approved spark arrested 2 stroke Quads. Just an attempt to quite them down some.

Look under the hood of any new cars or trucks nowadays as well.

My Ford F450 work dually weld truck has no less than 4 or 5 silencers installed ( bulging ) off the plastic air intake horn to the throttle body. Its a Ford V 10 gas engine. Ridiculous. it looks like a bunch of tumors growing off the damned thing.
  7. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    Scan0001.jpg

parts homologuation
    15 CV street-legal in Europe
    125 KTM / HUSABERG
    and HUSQVARNA !:)
  8. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    ;)
    and similar 250 /300 !
  9. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Takes me back to the 1993 Italian Huskys. I know they were shooting for the eighties so they only missed a little.
  10. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

compare the exhaust of that "homologation parts kit" with the 4-kilowatts-exhaust on the 125 in the "swedish dealer" photo that you posted before.

just in case anyone's interested in some homologated power numbers:
    http://www.zweirad-grisse.de/pages/neumotorraeder-setup-ktm.html
    click on the model year (i.e. "2014"), then on the model (i.e. "125exc").

r
  11. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    visiteur,you always have sweet pics and good intel haha! I always enjoy your posts
  12. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WTF is up with that pipe??
    duggoey and ray_ray like this.
  13. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That pipe is wild looking for sure. I've never seen anything quite like it.
  14. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    SAM_7140.JPG

125 HUSABERG 2013
    motor 125 KTM
    idem 2014 HUSQVARNA
    street-legal 15 cv ( 11 kw)
    europe
  15. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

if that would be true, all those german and austrian guys who received documents to their 2013 bergs that say "4 kilowatts" must have done something seriously wrong.

r
  16. metal_miracle Husqvarna
    AA Class

the ktm`s and husabergs only have 4kw on the 125 in europe, and the 300 got 6kw.

Also if remember right the 380 was 8kw
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just for interest´s sake:Trunkenplotz (the "T" in KTM) is German for "Drunk B*gger". You have been warned!
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Love the header piper section of that exhaust. super long constant dia then into the chamber.
  19. Indorider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TZM, Suzuki RGR (2 smokers)
    Ok, I just saw a price list for the 2014 lineup. Here in Indonesia the FE 250 (4t enduro) is selling for roughly $12,500. The 2013 TE 250 was going for $8500. Pretty much what I expected when KTM got their hands on Husky.
    john01 likes this.
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes

It is starting to unfold. I have been holding my comments back until things become clear. Pricing is a big factor and so is availability. DS etc etc.