Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's a photo from another site - purportedly to be the 2015 KTM390 Supermoto - and, a 390 'Trailbike' will come from this, the Duke, and the RC.

This is how they can really pick up on sales - a good quality product, made in India / China, for a price that should equal Japanese bikes, such as the Thailand made Honda 250(s).

These, and making Freerides in India / China, are the sort of thing that could bring them from a just over 110 / 120, 000 bike a year manufacturer, to on the way to those sorts of figures, per month - of course, that would take a few other, more basic models. Everything I've seen and heard of the Indian made KTMs, has been good, so far. I'd expect them to do the same with Husky - well, judging by a few quotations attributed to SP, Husky might be the more logical one for more Indian / Chinese made, simpler bikes.

I've noticed that you Yanks may have a bit of a wait on 2014s - this may indicate good things to come - KTM / KTHusky using up a goodly proportion of base stock, leading to either new engines - and I'm 'dreaming' 2ts, as my preference - coming in as 2015s / 2016s, earlier than the KTM version. Sort of how the EFI on 4ts came in far earlier with 'Bergs - the 09s, as against the KTM 4ts being in 2012. Though, I'd seriously doubt there would be such a gap, the 2nd time around. Well, perhaps it may just mean you Americans getting 2015s (that are that further step to individuality) in June / July, like you get with KTMs.

[IMG]
  2. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The 390 as a trail bike may be cool. The price should be about right even for KTM. A reliable ride all day kinda bike. I'd turn it into a Dakar look alike bike, like a mini adventure bike :)
  3. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    390cc's would be pretty good if the weight was at or under 250lbs. Could prove to be a good platform. I hope it's plated...
  4. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I wouldn't count on that. It's their cheap street bike motor that was meant to be cheaper. Even the wr250r are just over 300. Really if it could hover around there, I'm good with it.
  5. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    A 300 lb motorbike that hovers, I could go for that.
    K5PL5, 4eyes and LandofMotards like this.
  6. bearorso Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 'base unit' 390, has been intended to serve a lot of different functions from the very start.

They'd be mad if they didn't do an ADV form of it. I'm pretty sure that the 370+cc engine with grow to a full 390, or more, so it won't really be a 'mini' ADV bike, in relation to 450 Dakar type bikes. There's a market going begging, and that Indian made, trellis framed base bike, would make for a very affordable ADV platform.

The longer KTM / KT'varna leave it, the quicker another manufacturer(s) will bring a 450 sized ADV bike to market - and no, not a 450RR priced one.
    4eyes likes this.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    By mini adventure bike I meant lighter then the 650's and up. I'm really excited about a 390 version of something like the Terra if it's done right which I'm sure they'll do.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Come on guys KTMs get ridden to the top of the top races, trail ridden like crazy and local raced to death and are quite reliable. Lets not get silly here. I have MANY friends with them and they have been as reliable as anything. Huskys are great bikes, KTM are great bikes, they all are great bikes these days. Lets not make stuff up. I was on a 15 person ride yesterday, one bike failure, a brand new husky that already had the customer supplied "fixes" and still failed at a known failure point. I like huskys a lot but they are no better or worse than any of the other bikes out there. Rant off.
    wait4me, boisedave and Norman Foley like this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    If you're referring to me, I don't mean reliability (even though I typed it). I mean to say less maintenance. If there's anything I'm excited about coming from KTMs it's that 390 motor. It'll get great gas mileage and be much less maintenance then plated dirt bikes. I picture a lighter Terra which would be awesome. I really hope Husky gets those motors and the rumors true. Honestly, I think it's exactly what Husky is missing for 2014 (not to mention plated race bikes). The Terra seems to have done really well and a even smaller adventure bike has yet to be made, great concept.

Hopefully this time it came across as a complete thought, I get excited and post without looking over it again lol.
    4eyes likes this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Was not aimed at anyone just the overall tone that KTMs are somehow crappy.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A 390 based lightweight adventure bike would be cool.
    boisedave and LandofMotards like this.
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    [IMG]I looked hard at a Beta 400RS. Looks like great fun too. Just not sure about making it an adventure bike.
  13. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The prices are crappy. The bike are good, just never have been worth the premium they charged over huskys prices, but that has changed now with the ktm huskys..
    454x likes this.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    The demise of the Italian Husky, was caused in part by... Husky not charging enough for their product, plain and simple.
    flyingbob and Motosportz like this.
  15. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I´ve got some weird friends too. One (former) friend now owns a Kaytee. He´s not a contented person.
  16. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    They're all just toys. I got so excited about his business model I went out and bought a Volkswagen so I can pretend I'm driving a Porsche. For some reason though, I never wanted to pretend I was riding a Husqvarna... (or a Cagiva ;)). Cafe Cagiva, a truism.
    silverpilen and Motosportz like this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I agree with norm, the always fire sale prices did not help husky survive. All bikes are in the 8-10 range now. New 450 MX bikes are $8700-9000 for the japanese models.
  18. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

I remember back in the late 70's up to the late 80's, Husky's were the premium brand for off road. If you had a Husky, you were obviously a serious rider. They were generally the gold standard in off road [except for those forks!]. Premium sells, I think.

I don't really have a problem with this at all -- the only question I have is HOW do the make a KTM "MORE" premium while sharing platforms? Time will tell, but I don't have a problem with this at all. Mark my words, in 3 years people will see a Husky and think -- "That guy is serious!"

Just a couple of pennies for you....
    troy deck likes this.
  19. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i think ur rite i just HOPE by MY 15/16 its a whole new bike i dont think S.P. platform engineering is gona work on dirt bikes
  20. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would say the problem was poor marketing. Look at the difference in marketing and the results. Both bikes were great off road bikes but 1 had poor marketing and the other was everywhere.
    4eyes and 454x like this.