Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You do know husky already has the flip flops, I got a pair myself, leaves a giant H when you walk.
    JonXX and panhandlebars like this.
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    But you know they are going to be the wrong color next year, because I'll just about guarantee that they go back to the blue and yellow.
  3. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    It doesn't matter what colour they are, they have to be different from the parent brand, functional and people gotta want to pay realistic money for them. A proper dealer network would help you guys across the pond too, but there's something of a chicken / egg situation there. Maybe they want to gain credibility with a serious push in MX and maybe enduro. We'll see, but I think we all need to forget how cheap they used to be, because that angle didn't do anything for profit and market share. It all depends imo on where Pierer wants to take KTM, because I don't see typical Japanese bike customers moving to any Euro brand overnight, so extra Husky sales will likely be at the expense of KTM numbers - assuming the bikes are good and distinct from the parent brand. If the bikes aren't that different or special then KTM customers wouldn't bother changing, a lot of Husaberg customers will probably feel too sore to buy them and neither will the average Honda / TM pilot, so we're back to having to knock them out for cheap. No sense there.

Perhaps if Pierer has long term plans for KTM as a road based brand then he won't mind Husky becoming KTM offroad, but it still means less choice for customers.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree. They have to be good and not KTM's.

From a customer stand point I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I know I won't be on a KTM and it's looking doubtful that I'd go to the new Husky. They'd have to be earth shattering designs that turn "C" riders into "A" riders or something like that. I'm currently leaning toward Yamaha's YZ250, but have an open mind about the new Sherco 2T.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  5. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

First, a "thank you" to rasputin, I didn't realize the husaberg 70 degree engine was a KTM design. I loved that engine, if the bike were street legal, I would have bought it. It's proof that KTM can build engines for the rest of us, but they simply don't want to.

I still hold out hope for the Bajaj connection to come to the rescue. The 390 they build for KTM is brilliant, proving that their engines deserve to be in this segment. Next to creating another KTM clone, the cheapest option would appear to be to ship the tooling for the 411/511 engines to India and have them made there, along with larger radiators and other accoutrement. Then drop that lower priced power plant into a KTM designed chassis minus the foibles from BMW design. That would make the Husky the tough and durable option to the KTM's no compromise race machines.That, in turn, would help KTM/Husky gain market share, instead of cannibalizing sales from KTM. KTM gets it's profits and market share, we get the durable bike we want, and Husquaberg dealer network will be less impacted. That's a lot of win/win, but it won't help those poor italian workers though.
    4eyes likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    X2 Appreciate the good info, insight and passionate responsible reporting / ideas.
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I know what you mean, but, I feel I should mention that a good bike does not a good rider make. A good rider can do well on a mediocre bike. It's 90% rider, 10% bike. Most people need to work on their riding skills, not changing out the exhaust or shaving 8oz off the total weight by swapping in some carbon fiber.
    oregonsage likes this.
  8. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Another dimension that SP needs to factor into his grand plan is the impact of "Currency Wars". The Japanese have finally got sick and tired of their economy being in recession over the last 20 years and are heavily discounting the Yen. What does this mean? Comparatively much cheaper Japanese dirt bikes again. Great for consumers, especially in the US, another nail in the coffin for Euro based manufacturers trying to compete against asian manufacturing. As hahanule says, moving high volume, low priced commodity bikes (MX/Offroad) to India/China and keep low volume, high tech, high value premium bike manufacturing (Adventure/touring/street) in Europe makes a lot of sense.
  9. dirttracker1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    my10tc250,my12cr144,my12tc449
    Other Motorcycles:
    xr50,minienduro60,Gt80
    The kymco engine is made in taiwan, i don't know how cheaper it could be
    The 449 chassis is great,the powerplant has a lack of power
    It might be good enough for wood riding but not for mx
    Racing,knock 25 pounds of wiring harness and some
    Ktm technologies it would be a much better bike
    The hell with bmw and their boxer v.w.slow stuff
    technology.
    It's frustrating with husky, how long the wait always been
    for the new bikes to come out while we'll start to see
    The 2014 model of other brands by next month or so
    They talk about november to show the new husky in milan lol!
    We been waiting on thr xlite 1st year the thing was hard to start
    2nd year bad injection system,3rd year o.k
    I never see anything like it
    The cr 144,awesome toy!
    wait wait,that's all we do,i don't want jap bike
    So ktm is not to bad after all and i got a dealer
    That want to help us for a while,still would give
    Husky an other chance if they come out with
    bikes better than good next fall.
  10. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

the concept came from sweden, though.

r
    4eyes likes this.
  11. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    You can really see, when you look at the pictures of the hand welded and built Husky 510 and 70 Degree engine prototypes.... that they came from the same hands.
  12. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    The way I remember it, Swedish engineers took KTM parts and started cutting and welding and came up with the 70 degree engine.

I am a relative newcomer to Husqvarna(09), so this Swedish connection means nothing to me.
    I like Pizza...
  13. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

they took an old husaberg engine, cut and re-welded it. looked like a picasso painting. the pictures appeared in magazines, but i don't have them anymore.

r
    robertaccio likes this.
  14. Factory4510 Husqvarna
    A Class

How big of an oil sump did the 570 engine have and why. Is it not in a platform anymore?
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm very aware of that. So my statement holds true that if a bike is that good, as to turn C riders into A riders, then I'd have to have one. Wouldn't you?
    robertaccio likes this.
  16. HuskyFede Husqvarna
    A Class

It was held at the Ministry of Economic Development (MED), the meeting scheduled between unions (Fim Fiom CGIL and CISL) and properties (Group Pierer - Ktm) in regard to the Husqvarna dispute. A meeting request by the trade unions to discuss the future of the Cassinetta di Biandronno Company for which it has been started the procedure for termination and the extraordinary layoff of 212 workers.
    During the meeting the representatives of the workers have repeated their analysis on the operation conducted by Ktm which can be summarized in two words: industrial depredation.
    Fiom CGIL and CISL Fim have also outlined their concerns about the questionable management of BMW (owner of the company from 2007 to March 2013) and the most likely meaning of the sale of Husqvarna brand to the new Austrian properties: a pure speculation. In this regard, the ministry has declared its willingness to deepen the contents and conditions of Biandronno, also involving BMW.
    The Ministry, on behalf of the Government, after hearing both sides, raised some observations and concerns about the form and content of the operation that KTM is leading Husqvarna on.
    The ministry has decided to continue the discussion table, summoning the parties for a new meeting scheduled for 29 May, with the aim of maintaining industrial activities in Cassinetta.
    Also to strengthen the table proposed by the Ministry, the union has, however, requested that the layoffs will not start on June 1, as unilaterally requested by the company’s owners.
  17. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Now that is a correct statement.Now I will get in trouble for saying it but really I do agree If people would spend the time and some money setting up there bikes they would have a much better ride.But it is cheaper to go buy a new sticker kit and look fast.Or some new add on shinny part,or play with your carb because you feel you need to go faster.Then coplain the other guy on the newer bike beat you Yet you might be over weight and out of shape and your suspention is set up for a 160 pound rider.I have always spent my money on suspention and bike set up
    Good suspention and bike set up can help just about any bike.I have been riding and racing for a long time now and have rode alot of bikes But I did not want to give up on the Husky 300 so I spent the most money I have ever spent on suspention for it.I am still in it less then a new KTM As of now this old out dated overweight 300 2 stroke is the best handling easy to ride bike I have ever owned.Yes I love my Husky CR 165 but my 300 is a better bike for where I am now.I also spent the extra money for good tires and a set of bib mousses For the type of racing I do I do not think I could ever use a tube again.
    I can hit just about anything I want never get a flat and the suspention will soak it up.
    That being said I have yet to see any new 2 stroke bike out there be it a Beta,TM,YZ ect that really is anything that much better.Yes I know some of you want a e button or a easy clutch but really is it worth paying thousands of dollars for it.So for now I will wait and see what the new Husky company will come out with Time will tell but I see no reason to look else where for a new ride
    surfer1100, guscycle, MikeB and 7 others like this.
  18. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ajax nailed it. I always get frustrated when a customer will gladly pay $500 for a steering damper yet wont spend $200 putting the correct springs on his bike for their weight.
    4eyes likes this.
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

True Scotty or worse is the $200 for springs with a worn rounded bald tire
  20. 72racerx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VFR800
    I agree with Ajax getting the suspension set up correctly is worth more in terms of making someone go faster than any exhaust, engine or weight reduction mod ever would. I work retail and wholesale in the motorcycle industry and the amount of people I see wanting all the go fast bits and bling only to have a bike that handles like a wet couch is astonishing. The first major upgrade I made to my 125 apart from protection gear was heavier springs front and back. The amount of difference it made was like light and day, it still needs a bit of tweaking to fine tune it.