Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Even though absolutely NOTHING will be done in Sweden beyond the unveiling.
    4eyes, surfer1100 and panhandlebars like this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I think of that each time someone mentions "VW philosophy".
  3. SigPig Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 200&690
    All the doom and gloom in this thread about losing the brand and or the name. Then when the news comes out that the name (at least) will live on there is more doom and gloom about real Huskies etc. Some people will always find something to complain about I guess.

I had a berg, always wanted a husky. I ride orange because it's the only non jap dealers who actually have dealers anywhere near me. Plus they're actually pretty decent bikes.

Would love to demo a new Husky once all the dust settles. I'm sure it will be a great bike as it always has.
    Blazes likes this.
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I own a wrecking yard and we sell almost every type of car part To me one of the worst cars to get parts for and one of the hardest brands to get the correct part for is VW I personally hate working on VW Plus the most over priced BOS I know of When you make a living selling car parts you learn what brands are best and VW is at the bottom
    surfer1100 likes this.
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    That's because you aren't a Husky rider. If you where, you'd understand. It would appear that we're going to get red and white KTM's now. The press release speaks of Husaberg technology. Other than plastic sub frames they're blue KTM's. So now what are we going to get? Red and white KTM's with plastic subframes and red cylinder heads?
  6. bhab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300, TC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 2.9, KTM 200 XC-W

God, I hope not . . . I much prefer yellow and blue. ;)
  7. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Update from our friends in Varese; I guess from what we know now, the workers may be retained building parts for the old bikes but not involved in new manufacture?

This is Husqvarna
    We have some international friends here so I thought I share with you in English what is happening, how things have moved forward so far. The meeting held in Milan, at the Lombardy Region HQ, was no surprise. The new property (please note: Pierer isn't present at the moment in Italy. He never met a single HVA employee and it seems it ain't part of his intentions for the near future) simply repeated for the 100000th times that their decision is to layoff 212 people (all departments except Sales/Marketing ->30 people). That's it. they don't move from this idea. They confirmed the layoff starting from June 1st (2 weeks more or less). Yesterday, another meeting was held. this time it was time for the employee reps to tell them the news: the ministry of Economic Development in Italy has decided to call a meeting for next May 22nd which will have to be attended by both parties. The subject of this meeting is pretty clear: the new ownership will be asked to present a plan of production that will guarantee the continuation of work activities at Biandronno's plant. Further details have yet to be disclosed. Stay tuned!

[IMG]
    surfer1100 likes this.
  8. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    I love my 2010 WR300. Great bike. I hate the kickstart angle, haven't got a holeshot on it ever (race off-road with dead engine starts). The KYB forks are older tech than my old 2005 Yamaha YZ250. The bike hasn't changed much since forever, I guess why they are so inexpensive to purchase. I'm optimistic that the new Huskys will be built to be competitive in the market, up to date, maybe even revolutionary. If there $8000 to $9000, that's life. When I buy a new bike, I going to buy the best valued 300 2 stroke available. I really don't care what color it is, just that it feels like a part of me when I ride it. I wonder what % of the new company SP owns, the more the better for Husky's identity.
    panhandlebars likes this.
  9. panhandlebars Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm200sold!klx125&drz 70 kids
    Nah they will be white and blue with a little yellow, like the 80's ...stoping the red and white will signify a clean break from Varese..and differentiate them from husabergs (R.I.P) .......expect trendy husqvarna toaster and flips flops available at your local dealer....Ktm hard parts is probably already warming up the blue anodizing dye as we speak.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    So the Kymco motor is a goner I guess. They probably can't find a way to reverse engineer it so it needs parts as often as a punkin.
    JonXX, silverpilen and panhandlebars like this.
  11. HuskyFede Husqvarna
    A Class

Yesterday much went on regarding the Husqvarna thing. While the employees were outside striking for their right to work, a press release passed through. It said "Husqvarna rebirth" "We bring together what belongs together" bla bla bla. Kinda lame, if you ask me, for someone who's clearly in for the money. Now, what it's going to be for our beloved brand? My idea is that you need to look further. What is this going to be for the whole business? When you'll buy an Husqvarna, will it be a unique bike with a special design? will it just be a replica of 1000 other bikes, just with different colors and stickers? When you'll go to the races, will a certain someone win because he's the best? Or will he win because the management needs to push the sales of that certain bike/brand? This is all new people, this is one who has it all, a master of puppets who will move his chess pieces (basically all) at his own personal satisfaction and profit. This way, I believe we are all seeing the decadence of the so called "sportive spirit" "fair game" I mean, it's like going to a wrestling game and believing that Jhon Cena is really beating the crap out of Ray Mysterio. I don't know. at this point to me this is NOT a rebirth, this is NOT a new era for any brand. This is the end, plain and simple. Not only for Husqvarna and the unforgettable 240 people who are losing everything to make Mr. Pierer reach the top ten of the richest and most powerful man in offroad. The end of the excitement to go and see what's new at the shows, who is winning at the races, who has come up with the best design etc. So at this point, I really wish Husqvarna in the person of Husqvarna Group AB would come and get back the brand and never give it out anymore to anyone and put an end to this. Because this is disgusting, and the blood is on their hands too.
  12. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    HuskyFede,
    Is there any news from Varese regarding the following;
    1. The press release confirms that SP will maintain spares availability for past and presents models. Do you see any role in the Biandronno factory in the future supporting this? If not, how do they expect to do this? Is it possible without the factory support?
    2. Have you heard any more news with regard to Castiglionne and Cagiva/MV Augusta? Have they made any decisions to perhaps restart Cagiva and employ any of the ex Husky workers?
    Cheers
  13. HuskyFede Husqvarna
    A Class

under the laws in force, they are obliged to maintain for 10 years spare parts for the models. I know they are collecting all the parts at Biandronno. At the moment sales & marketing remain at there to complete the sale of MY 2013 and the remaining stock. This I think will be their only task. Their presence has been confirmed for one year at the Italian plant. I guess they want them to finish the "BMW era", while Austria will be focused on the new era, starting from MY 2014.
    No further news or rumors came from the other side of the lake -> cagiva and personally I don't think right now they have the money to start such project and hiring 212 people.
  14. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

i did and do not want to start a "volkswagen philosophy" discussion. i don't care who did it first, or whatever. i only mentioned it because pierer mentioned it several times.

r
  15. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

well there goes my dream, go visit the hallowed ground of the husky factory, and meet Fede .. :(
    surfer1100 likes this.
  16. PJW Husqvarna
    AA Class

It will be interesting to see if Kymco starts building their own dirt bikes as a by product of this fiasco.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    It's all starting to sink in.... Husky as we have known it for the last 25+ years is gone. I've lived through this before and it worked out, due to the passion of the people at Cagiva. Maybe the passion at KTM, will make it work out again. I hope KTM will see fit to recognize and keep some of the superior Husky engineering, just as Cagiva kept Husqvarna's superior 4T tech. At the same time, they put Cagiva's more advanced 2T tech into the bikes. It made for great motorcycles, with many victories and championships.

Cagiva had vision, but lacked resources, BMW had resources, but lacked vision, maybe KTM will have both in the end. The doubts of 25 years ago return (for me they were without foundation), but some people see this as the proper rebirth of a marque, that has wandered in the wilderness for 25 years (I also find no foundation to this).

I have known and ridden Huskys in all their iterations... Swedish, Italian, German and now with what might be the next one, my Husaberg 2 stroke.... all good bikes. I still believe that Italian ones are the sweetest! The Husaberg is good, but still seemed to need many of the tweaks, a Swedish single shock Husky needed 25+ years ago to handle! I have it dialed now and am very happy.

As Rasputin said... a spice in the dirt bike world is lost, but we just have to keep an open mind and see what happens, regardless of our notions about KTM and what they will do. People had a lot of notions about Cagiva and Husky. Lots of vision, but lack of resources in the end.... lots of great motorcycles though!
    4eyes, water racer, JonXX and 7 others like this.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It's my understanding that BMW will keep the Kymco built / BMW designed 449 / 511 motor. The X-lite motor and the Cagiva based 2 stroke motors are history.
  19. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    A shrinking gene pool is fine if you're building anonymous tin boxes to transport people from A to B, but I don't see that it's anything other than a backward step for the dirtbike scene - both competition and leisure. At least we still have TM, Beta, Gas Gas, Sherco, etc. over here doing something different. Even if "Husqvarna Sportmotorcycles GMBH" gets standalone technology it's still just part of the parent company's grand plan. A niche, not a competitor. Ideally I'd like to see the Japanese up their game and kick evolution along a bit, otherwise dirtbiking in all it's forms will gravitate towards a one make series and I can't see that doing anything to raise participation levels.
    4eyes likes this.
  20. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Here's what I think they should do; This Pierer group needs to sell Cagiva ( or the Italian government, in which case Cagiva could run it for them. ) the factory and the current X-lite and WR platforms at a very reduced price. In return Cagive will maintain parts supplies for the current line and continue to build and develop the X-lite and 2 stroke lines. The Pierer group can wash their hands of the Italian built bikes, the factory, it's employees and having to run a parts business for old Huskys. That alone should come as a huge cost savings to Pierer. This plant could also continue to build 499/511 platform bikes for BWM if they wish to continue with that line.

This should be a win win for everybody involved, from the government, employees, Pierer and current customers.