Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Owners love it. I like it and see no down side for my type of riding. Seems to get better traction and if nothing else seems to make the chain and sprockets last a LOT longer.
    turtlemoye, JonXX, oregonsage and 2 others like this.
  2. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Out riding today with some of the usual suspects. One guy has been gong thru bikes like crazy trying to find one he 'likes'. (truth be told he just needs to shut up and ride:cool:)

He's not happy with his KTM350XC and can't wait for the Husky to come out - he wants a trail tuned 350 with linkage.
    Me, I just ordered a white KTM front fender for my 310 - might as well make a statement:rolleyes:)
    Jeff aka BOLT likes this.
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Technically, the husky's haven't been husky's since they left Sweden.
    PBM457 likes this.
  4. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Thats like saying the new husky isn't a ktm just cause the radiator shrouds don't bolt right on.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Throwing another food for thought addition, about all the negative focus on the Italian Husky thing with Cagiva tech...all over the intertube and very heavy "over there" especially.
    Yes Cagiva ended the Swede 2 stroke lines and put their motor and chassis with Husky plastics graphics but at that time Cagiva 2Ts were on world championship podiums in MX and more modern comparatively in chassis and engine designs (they were engineering MotoGP bikes), it was the best way to modernize the 2T line. And of course to keep the new production going strong with minimal change or tooling issues. Thats good biz.
    4T line!!! the Italians refined the Single cam until its line ended in very recent times .They even continued to use the single backbone Swede designed chassis all the way to the end of the single cammer ending. The Italians refined the Swede design big block 4T into multi World enduro championships and for gosh sakes the 1st modern era 4stroke MXGP championship with Jacky Martins in 93 (since Jeff Smiths BSA)
    So I for one dont see the Italian ruining anything it was just another business ownership transition. All country based based business has its own culture, some say stereotypes......I say culture of doing.

I still vividly remember Stefan Merriman OA the ISDE on his single cammer-single backbone chassis machine well refined old school tech from the CH Racing Race shop. Doesn't sound to me that the Italians screwed that one up.
    ( PS they also won some more Husqvarna World enduro championships with their Cagiva based 2 stroke line as well)
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Same guys who when BMW took over were talking crap about how horrible KTM is and how BMW and the 449 was the next big thing and a game changer. Lots of history proven wrong. Lots of complete 180 in opinions. Lots of logo worshiping.

1. The swedish huskys are the REAL huskys period.
    2. Cagiva bought them and took them to even higher levels and won countless championships. Only the 610 platform remained from the swedish designs. They did very well with the brand for many years. So many lots of people only know these models as huskys.
    3. BMW bought it from Cagiva and floundered to find their way and obviously bit off more than they could chew. We got some upgraded x-lights, continued the 125 platform. Added the 449/511 and TR650 both based on in house engines. I personally dont see them as killing the brand like "over there" does because they did not kill off the x-lights, 125 and try to make something else work. they added some bikes like the Nuda and TR650 which was all new for Husky but also opened the opportunity for profit and furthering the brand. They simply decided they had enough of the bleeding money and wanted out.
    4. KTM buys them, completely eliminates any current models including the much loved and winning x-light package and 125's and replaces the whole line with KTM based bikes.

The "over there" crew of 2 buys this as progress but I personally see it as a loss of one more choice. ALL previous models are GONE. I do think the KTM based bikes will be great, already were. I do think they bring things to the table husky was not doing. I do think you will see a huge number of "huskys" on the starting lines everywhere. What I don't see is a unique brand but something i could have already been buying and riding for years in a KTM / Berg. In the end it is not a huge deal to me personally, i have no stake in this company and these are consumer toys. I will personally morn the loss of the x-light and 125 platform as I found it very much to my liking. that choice is now gone.
  7. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This may not mean much to many (mainly younger) riders, especially those over the ocean. But things on two wheels are the product of a great many years of tradition. So there´s just a bit of admiration for Italian bikes over here, maybe just because they´re made in a country where bikes are more than mass produced junk. Even if the `lectrics are somewhat duff and parts & service could be much better. An Italian bike is a bike. An Austrian "bike" (have there aver been any?) is NOT.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    best post ive seen on here in quite awhile...why do some people just not seem to get this?
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Keep venting boys, it good for the soul.... I guess?
  10. PBM457 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350SXF 2004 RM250
    If they could just cross the Austrian Husky with the Italian Husky we might make everyone happy.
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Technically speaking, mankind today are not Neanderthals ... :0) .... I let go of that past many moons ago ...

Sounds good but there are not any Italians in the factory where the bikes are built. We need a brand new baby ... Who cares about the labor or cost ... Just show me the new baby.
  12. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    I kinda liked my Cagiva 1988 wmx250
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    wow 100 pages! couple of hours of my life ill never get back. kinda like a car accident this thread, know I shouldn't look but cant look away :)
    JonXX and 454x like this.
  14. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

with the new interview the the husky GM, it is stated that they will be platform sharing, looks like about 90% . frame, sups, motors. not much to change and give it a different personality.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  16. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    the do get the 125 but its the motocross version

They might have browsed through the cafe husky archives and find out how many did swap their ignitions from the WR for a CR one :rolleyes:

Robert-Jan
    ray_ray likes this.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Thanks for the update on Stew in the MC racing... RV2 is still the man to beat I think ... Its gonna be a crowed field for sure with all the 250 guys stepping up ... Stew is focusing now it appears ... Maybe a couple yrs without that top pay check and he saw his bank account drop.... That motivates about all of us ...
    Captnemo likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I think he is just growing up. I over the glam and excitement, more relaxed, more focused, looks like he is letting it come to him more and making better decisions. Still don't think he can beat RV or RD consistently but will be fun to watch him try. More stacked at the top is more fun to watch. Tomac and Roczen will make things interesting as well. Going to be an interesting year.

- Wait, whats this thread about again?
  19. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Exactly what I was thinking. The cat (Huskaberg's) has been out of the bag long enough now so this thread is bound to get squirrely. :lol:
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

After you note the changes from the KTM brother it comes from there is not a lot left to talk about.