FLAMEOUT and the '08 EFI

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by MOTORHEAD, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    If it was a carb I would say your AP squirt is too big and your bike was loading up with fuel because of the on/off/on/off throttle you were doing earlier before it died.

As an experiment try to reduce the on/off of the throttle a bit and see if that does anything.
  2. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    I'd say if you haven't hooked up to an IBeat diagnostic tool that your TPS adjustment is out and therefore there is not anything a P-Up or Powercommander can do for you unless the FI on the bike is working correctly to begin with.

Simple trip to the dealer or someone with an IBeat diagnostic tool and cable. (other Italian brands use similar interface/IBeat)
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It was on the iBeat two weeks ago. Everything OK. But, I guess it will have to back to find out why the fuel pump won't run now.
  4. hipsterdufus Husqvarna
    A Class

wow, should i just not buy the leftover 08 te250 after all this? this efi sounds like more trouble than its worth
  5. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its a sad, pain in the ass ordeal MOTORHEAD is goin through with his, but what you're not hearing from is the thousands that are very happy with their 08 injected bikes.. :thumbsup:
    I'm ONE of them.. F.I is one of the things that pushed me more to autos years ago and away from bikes.. I'll NEVER own another carbed bike..wanna buy my Banshee?? She's for sale and has TWO carbs.. LOL..
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    My '08 TE250 was perfect after I bumped the idle up to 1850. It was a great bike in every respect. Bone-nuts reliable and NO futzing with jetting! I would have kept that bike forever if I was a 4 stroke kinda guy. I traded for an '09 WR 300 to get me back to my roots. Unfortunately, a few folks have reported issues with the EFI on the '08's. And as is usually the case with the internet, the folks having problems come in droves looking for help (or sometime just to whine). Lord knows, I went to TT and whined about my POS Honda 250. The trouble with the internet and forums in general, is you see a disproportionate amount of dissatisfied folks who are looking for help. The happy customers see no need to go out of their way to seek help for non-existant problems.

That said, I feel for Motorhead. I really do. I had so many issues with my '09 Honda CRF 250R I felt like I was lost in the Atlantic Ocean in a rubber raft. NO ONE should have to put up with problems like his on a new bike.

Sheesh, I should have just said: "Most '08 EFI owners are happy! Buy one and enjoy!" :thumbsup:
  7. hipsterdufus Husqvarna
    A Class

very true on how you only see the people with the problems on the net.....and it only ends up being a handful of people

my last new bike purchase was a 08 KTM 530 exc and that was a headache to get running properly. it ended up being so big and powerfull i sold it with 300 miles on the clock

im making my decision right now between a used 06 tc250 and the 08 te250

:notworthy:
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Sorry to be the turd in the punch bowl. :excuseme:

Don't let my problems sway you, it may be all my own fault. I may be doing everything wrong and causing a lot of my own problems.

Maybe it's just the way I ride it, as Coffee suggested. Could be the way I'm setting it up. Maybe I'm just not a FI kind'a guy. :confused:
  9. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

My 08 TE 250 has been flawless. Had the dealer install the power up kit and check the tps settings before I picked it up. My first ride outside of up and down the driveway was a 40 mile rip through steep loamy soil and steep loose gravel roads. Did my first valve check a year later with over 2k hard offroad miles and the valves and compression were in spec. Just after the valve check. I added the new Athena 300 kit that comes with its own electronic box. It was just plug and play. The new 300 kit has also been flawless. IMHO the left over 08 would be a superior purchase to the 06 tc. 08 has new frame,street legal,better suspension components.
    Russ
  11. husky123 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey guys. Maybe some of you saw my "2 Miles of Hell" in Ride Reports? I put my 09 TE510 through a pretty tough rock section. Well, now I have to be honest....here are the outtakes from that nightmare. 8, count 'em, eight flameouts in a matter of about 100 yards.

My intent is not to spread hate and discontent. I'm not ready to sell it, not even close. I'm just hopefully providing some levity and helping my healing in the process.:D Closure, yeah, that's it. Maybe it's just not made for that and I should stay away from those situations? Maybe if I wasn't such a p*ssy with the throttle and held it on?

I'm taking her to the dealer tomorrow to hook up to the "Great Wizard" because after that it is throwing a code...constant blinking green that wont' reset.

Quick background: When this was taken I had already got my butt handed to me for about a mile, was close to puking in the heat and not at all "mentally there".

Quicktime needed, may not be suitable for small children in the room.

MOTORHEAD - this is for you. I feel your pain.:thumbsup:

http://gallery.me.com/lpresgrave#100462
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    While I completely understand your frustration it would be good to reduce that amount of words that would lessen the quality of Cafe Husky like 'ass'.

Thank you for the video, if you have one with bike audio instead of music then it might be a useful tool for the Dynojet people to get a better idea as to what might be going on.
  13. husky123 Husqvarna
    A Class

I'll see if I can make one up without the music and curse words. Give me a few.

Edit: Just checked between my curse words and the mic bouncing around in my vest there's no good audio of the flameout. But, like I said in the PCV thread, it just sounds like your classic flameout.

Edit to the edit: Just fixed that "word". I'm a little slow...

Dean: Do you want me to pull the video?:excuseme:
  14. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    "And we thank you for your support."

Sunday; Clutch push rod bends on WR250, can't get it out. Take the 510 for a ride after fixing bad relay issue and the fuel pump pops out of socket again. Runs out of fuel without warning.

Monday; Start dismantling 250 to splitting the cases to try and get the rod out, after spending 3 weeks and a grand "restoring" it.

I love my Husky's, too. :thumbsup:
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It is a wonderful video, why would I want you to pull it? :confused:

If the audio would help situation then great, but it won't so don't worry about it. I've got a hunch there will be more videos in the future (unfortunately).
  17. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

husky123...that was some funny chit!
  18. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Been there done that! My 08 TE 450 has actually make me a better rider...I don't chop the throttle as much and gas it a lot more over nasty stuff!

19. RLW Husqvarna
    AA Class

Those are similar conditions to where my carb '05 TE510 does it's pop-die crap......places where the bike's hot, can't get up speed and dang sure can't hammer the throttle.
    Just happened again not 2wks ago, twice in 20ft on a steep rocky section right out of a switchback.

I'd kept thinking it was some little jetting thing that EFI would correct, but apparently not.
  20. seredyns Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had my TE310 for a couple of months now and I figured I would throw in my 2 cents worth on the flameout issue and I apologize in advance that this is long. The powerup kit was installed at the dealer and they set it up on the computer and it has ran great from day one. The first time I got the bike in a tight gnarly section I had a couple of flameouts but I attributed that to getting familiar with the bike and it not being broken in. I was also coming off a YZ250F that was basically stock. Since the 310 had so much more torque and a more linear powerband I often found myself in way too high of a gear and would end up stalling. In more open situations the bike ran perfectly with occasional popping on deceleration. I turned up the idle a bit and as I got used to the bike the stalling issues seemed to go away.

So I do the first oil change and head out to work on my clubs enduro. All very slow speed stuff, arrowing, clearing branches, etc. Stop and go all day long in hot and very humid conditions. Well, I had flameouts galore and often times the bike proved very difficult to re-start. At one point the fuel pump would not prime and I turned off the key for a few moments and then was able to re-start after that. This bike was running great before today, what changed? The only thing I did was change the oil.

Later at home I went to check the oil level in the sight glass and realized that I had overfilled it with oil. Not sure by how much but the level was somewhere above the sight glass. Not sure how that happened but there might have been some beer involved :) Anyway, decided to change the oil again and got the level set correctly between the two marks.

Headed out the following weekend to work on the enduro again. Same slow speed stuff. Same hot and humid conditions. I had noticeably less flameouts on this day. An occasional stall maybe but not nearly as many issues as I had the previous weekend. The bike was starting easier also.

Now I am wondering if the way the head vent tube runs into the intake tube is possibly a contributor to some of these issues. The way I figure is when the oil is extremely hot there will be more hot vapor going straight into the EFI. My, um, experiment with excess oil in the crankcase seems to confirm this as the flameouts were worse when the oil was overfilled. I saw this at Rick Ramsey’s website http://www.rickramsey.net/TE310mods.htm#headvent and I am thinking that I may give it a try to vent the vapor out rather than back into the intake. Anyone have an opinion on this? Do you think it is worth trying? What would be the best way to plug the hole?