Got The Voyager GPS mounted up...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Apr 15, 2011.

1. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Have you tried Trailtech themselves for what we are trying to ocomplish? Might be a shot.
  2. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Figured another way to do it but it takes some work. run the TrailTech pickup as well by making a bracket or, drill another hole and tape it for the pickup to screw into.

A thought?
  3. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I looked at the brake caliper bracket the other day and there is room to drill and tap it higher up on the bracket. I had also considered doing it that way but haven't done anything yet. I'm hoping to get an old cable with a trashed pick end from someone that's buying a new one. There in lies the answer to our problem and I'm thinking that(dare I say it) the orange bikes also used the same type of connector on their speedometer cables so there should be a few headed for the trash out there somewhere.
    PALMER84ONE likes this.
  4. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well if that is the case then wouldn't the dealer have the parts? Worth a shot as I am only miles from Z racing (a KTM Stealer). The junk yard is an option. LOL
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  6. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kelly,
    I think that is the same sensor that comes in the kit. We are actually only thinking about the connector. I was thinking about a Y connector with one female and two male connectors to hook up both computers to one sensor. So, if you can buy the connectors and housings you can make this up and the issue is done. When I have time I am going to look into it. Should have something by the weeks end.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Oh, sorry, I miss read what you were trying to do.
  8. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think I have solved it without drilling but spending. I just picked up a wheel sensor for the YZ250 to run the Endurance computer. The cable was way long enough and the magnet sensor can be placed on the caliper to read RPM/Speed. So, purchase a cable from TrailTech for a bike that has a shorter cable and run it to the Voyager. What-da-ya-think?

Looks like part# 800-06 is the winner for cable at 1450mm, the YZ is 1800mm and the end appears to be the same. For 24.95 I think I'll try and be the adventurer.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Does anyone know if there is a way to multi select routes when downloading of thier website? It takes forever and the routes are just couple mile segments. So not 100 percent sure I am capturing them all? I love the unit but need some better way to get tracks downloaded. Suggestions?
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Call and ask Trailtech on that, they are very helpful.
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Ok second ride on it and love the thing. The garmin mount is officially coming off bike. I was worried that I would miss the colored topo maps of my garmin so ran them both for a couple rides. I have to say trailtech did such a seemless job on this unit that I am a believer now. Yeah the black and white is not as pretty as colored topos but who cares when your riding? As long as you know where your at and how to get home thats all that matters in the end.

Only drawback...downloading maps is a pain. BUT once you have them they are in. I am still learning it but have to say I dont think I will be missing my $400 garmin and thats saying alot.
    Motosportz likes this.
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    What maps are you using with your voyager?

After reading the power connection instructions, it states that it is not recommended to run the power off the stator as the power is too unregulated and might damage the device ...

Is everyone running DC power for the device?

Also, the device is slightly larger than a vapor so the mounting devices will not fit between the two ... Looks like many of the ELEC connectors and front end speed-0 stuff are the same though ...
  13. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    yeah, as a matter of fact I called trailtech and they specically said its setup to handle ac/dc. So I hooked it directly up to wire for my light on my wr300. Works awesome. Two rides and no issues. So far downloaded the street maps ones to get fireroads and some trails. But the trails part I cant utilize until summer because of riding areas this time of year theres no maps for. Which is ok because the main reason I got a gps was I got sick of getting turned around. It highlights where you are and direction your going so itsa no brainer to figure out.
    Alot of trails come out on fireroads here in NW so as long as you have that I am finding its still ok. I do however hope they improve how to download maps(like a mulit select as they do for the streetmaps) and maybe an easier forum to exchange tracks and such.

But as long as its gpx file supposedly it can handle so I will be experimenting with previously saved gps files from my garmin software soon.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep, GPX files make it EZ. If you edit a lot of the crap you dont need before loading it up it works better.
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    What tool are you using to edit them? The bundled software on the CD that comes from TrailTech?
  16. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Well I finally got mine mounted up and the remote antenna installed in a non vulnerable location which still allows a good shot of the sky. I used a piece of 1/8" kydex and drilled and tapped the bark buster for the antenna. I'm thinking I'll add a small piece of the kydex material to the small open spot on the front of the computor not protected by the beautiful red holder(where the Trail Tech logo is). I ride in some rockey areas where when passing it's not uncommon to have stones and rocks from other back tires launched at you. I have some helmets that look like I was shot from the chips in them.I didn't install the temperature sensor yet because the wire lead on it didn't appear to be long enough to route safely when installed. I have the uptite y fitting installed in my radiator hose and I may have to modify that by shorting the portion that goes down towards the water pump to accommodate the installation of the water temp sensor, I don't see where else it can possibly go on an 09 TE510. I think I would prefer to have a billet fitting with the sensor, rather than the composite one that comes with the kit if there is such an animal.:thumbsup:

GEDC0498.JPG GEDC0499.JPG GEDC0500.JPG
    Thumperama likes this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  18. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    I put the temp sensor in the cross over hose from the R radiator to the Uptite Y. About mid way and it is protected by the frame. Also ran all the wires and cable in a shrink wrap tube and heated and shrunk them all together with slits allowing the wires and sensors to pop out at the right locations. Looks almost like a stock harnes. I also didn't like the aluminum bracket they furnish with the protection unit so I got the other one and it mounts through the bar clamp bolts.
  19. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I had to take it all back apart again I didn't like the way that I had the power hooked up, so when I did that I decided to put the temp sensor in. Just a couple more pics, and this thing sure has some cool features.I just have to learn how to use it now.Oh and I decided to post a picture of my garage assistant, he's a big help. GEDC0502.JPG GEDC0503.JPG GEDC0505.JPG
    Thumperama and Motosportz like this.
  20. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    just fyi out there....I stopped in at trailtech Friday and asked some general questions. My wr300 is wired straight up to the main power(which supposedly is ok). Theres a screen called "user" that you can see what voltage your at from the bike. I was at 20 at low rpm's. The tech there told me thats a tad high and I should get a voltage regulator for $15. So I did.