1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Help me decide on WR250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by RusRider, Oct 30, 2011.

1. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

I was choosing a new bike for woods riding mostly bar width singltracks and rarely fireroads. Now I ride yz125. My first choise was ktm 250, but than I've found good offer for new 2011 wr 250. I'll be the only one riding husky in my place, so to tell the truth I'm a bit scary of buying one. Then dirt rider review of the wr also brake my mind, they didn't like the bike.
    So I need the first hand outputs on WR250.
    How does it behave in tight woods, logs, ruts. Reliability, parts will be huge problem for me.

I'm almost done with decision but I need some support from WR owners.
  2. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    I have 220 hrs on my 08. Most riding is done on single track and hare scrambles.I really like the way this bike works in the woods the only problems it has are rider induced.As far as reliability I just replaced the rear wheel bearings and swing arm bearings.That's it, besides plastics I've busted.I did put a Keihin AS on it.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I love my 09 WR250, I put a Tubliss MT43 Pirelli on the back and a Tubliss Bridgestone M59 on the front, the usual guards and jetted the stock Mikuni. The engine is a low and mid range beast and the bike stays planted and grips the nasty stuff like velcro. If mine came up missing today I would buy another one tomorrow.

80% of what I ride is single track the other 20% is crossing the openings to get to more woods.
    tomaz likes this.
  4. Jhunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an '08 WR250 and I would buy another one in a second. I came off a KTM200 so I was a little worried that the Husky wouldn't turn and handle the tight woods as well as my 200 but it was quite to opposite. The Husky turns on a dime. The front end is planted and torque and motor are perfect. I did have a local tuner rework my front and rear suspension (softer, woods set up). I ride 90% nasty, hilly and rocky single track in Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky and this bike can handle almost anything.
  5. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    I have and '02 CR/WR 250. When I first got it, the steering seemed a little weird, like turning off main road on to a trail, slowing down and making the turn felt a like it need some persuasion. But get it into tight, nasty, back and forth turning, it is amazing how quick it will turn. Also how tight it turns lock to lock. It is a rare occasion where the front end becomes unplanted, when it does it's usually over-input in a narrow rut or such.
  6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Dont pay attention to those stupid magazine articles...The american reviews of the Husky bikes are soooo lame. I honestly believe it is because KTM hooks the employees of the magazines up with bikes to ride/race all year, so they lube KTMs chain like they are the only manufacturer of off road motorcycles. So lame.
    There is a test where the Husky, KTM and Gas Gas 300 were all reviewed side by side. The end result was that KTM won, ONLY because it has an electric start. The Husky is a great bike. I came from a YZ250 and cant believe how amazing this bike (i have 09 300 but would ride a 250 any day) handles singltrack and technical trails. I have read the reviews and you need to read them with a fine tooth comb. In one review they rip on Husky for not having a hydraulic clutch, but then later in the same review they rave about how even though its not, it works better than they hydraulic ones of the competition. They bash it because the jetting is rich from the factory...Ummm...they have to rejet every bike, particulary 2t's! But for some reason they had to make such a big deal about rejetting the Husky. And then they make very little note about how much it shreds when jetted properly. They bash the Brembo brakes on a Husky review and rave about them on any other bike that has Brembos...I don't get it. Well, actually I do. (my opinion following)
    Husky doesn't give them free bikes to ride all season every season, so they need to bash them in order to make them sound bad in order to keep KTM sales up. Because with those sales comes bikes and advertising dollars $$$! I live in UT and I can tell you, by far the bike of choice is the KTM 300. They are everywhere out here. It is a good bike, but I would take my 300 ANY DAY!!! My friends orange 300's boil over when things get real hot and techy. NOT my Husky. I even had 2 different orange riders comment about that. Another commented on how they couldn't get over how low the motor chugs without stalling.
    Listen, the bikes are all amazing these days, everyone makes a great machine. But, I did the same thing. Was looking for a new YZ and found a screaming deal on a Husky. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. Parts are NO problem thanks to the internet. And the best part is...I haven't needed any parts except for regular maintenance stuff. Bulletproof, fast, they handle better than any bike that I have ridden. Feel free to PM with any particular questions. But I promise you, you won't be disappointed in a Husky for singletrack amazingness!
    ohmygewd and WHITEROCKET5.9 like this.
  7. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for inputs!!!

Early morning I'll go for 10 hours drive to my new bike.
    After bring it home I'll try to figure out jetting it for the temperature we have now unfortunately I'm not very good in it. But I think that I'll find all information here.

It will be long weekend, three days off))) tree days of riding new bike!!! What could be better
  8. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Nice. Post some pics when you get it!
  9. MR54L Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    2008 WR250 My first HUSQVARNA:thumbsup:, I'm very happy with the bike retuned and polution gear removed. What a beast on MX tracks, Enduro- wide open tracks & tight tracks :cheers:
    I am a Honda convert due to Honda going all out 4T. The only thing I'm sorry about is not jumping the fence sooner
    ray_ray and MOTORHEAD like this.
  10. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

It is seating in the garage. In person it looks even better then on pictures!!! But I'm in braking in procedur and it won't start after the first warm up/cool down. Is 8 C / 46 F to cold for stock jetting? How I can make it run?
  11. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Has the "power up" been done? There is a little "starter jet" that needs to be changed, mine would not start well until I did so.
  12. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

I've seen it in the jet kit comes with the bike. Where is it located in the carb?
    What also should be done to convert it to the race mod?

Thanks!
  13. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Download this manual http://www.outbackmx.com/files/Workshop Manuals/2010WR 250-300.pdf
    Do the full power procedure in section Q I believe?

1. Remove the throttle stop and change the needle and slide.
    2. Change the pilot jet
    3. Change the main jet
    4. Change the starter jet
    5. Remove the emissions controls and change the expansion chamber (exhaust pipe)
    6. Replace the air restrictor in the air filter with the small plastic cage.

The jets are all located in the upper side of the float bowl.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My 09 WR250 came jetted rich and was hard to start. I suggest reading some of the posts on 2 stroke jetting and jetting chat and possibly find someone at a similar altitude with the stock Mikuni and use their jetting as a baseline. Then you can tune to suit you from there because every bike and rider can require a little different tuning. When you get it jetted correctly it will be a torque monster especially in the mid range and will start 1st kick nearly every time. Enjoy and please give a ride report.
  15. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks!!!
    Unfortunately the seller didn't give me the exhaust pipe from the power up kit. Is it ok if make carb mode without pipe changing?
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    What country are you in? My 09 stock pipe is fine and there is no power up kit that I know of for a 2t with a carb in the US. All you need to do is re-jet and possibly take out the throttle stop if it has one in it. (mine did not). A lot of people reseal the reed block on both sides with Honda gaskets (I think they are Honda) for insurance because they are bad about sucking air and causing lean jetting symptoms. (my dealer did this for me for free before he shipped the bike).
  17. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm from Russia but the bike comes from Germany I believe. And it comes with jet kit and pipe but pipe I'll have in two weeks. I don't know if the pipe only for inviremental regulation or reduce some power as well.
  18. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I have heard of some bikes in Europe coming with a catalyst in the pipe which yours may have and that would definitely affect jetting and performance. Hopefully someone here on the forum can chime in with first hand knowledge.
  19. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    In Canada we have a catalyst in the pipe.
  20. RusRider Husqvarna
    B Class

What will be better live the jetting as it is and ride it at slow mode or change jetting according to jet kit and live pipe with catalyst and see how it will work?
    I badly want to ride it tomorrow and I'm so sad that I don't have the right pipe((((