In Search Of Dry Land In The Desert

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Your reports suck![IMG]

Only in the sense that my computer must be a piece of [IMG] and it takes so long for the page to load that I have to go do laundry or vacuum a room while I'm waiting to see all the fun stuff.[IMG]

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Sensational Woodsie. Thank you for such a great ride report. I almost felt I was there. What interesting and varied geography.
    Ciao
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Myself, I had no idea the desert had so much going on on any given 24hr time period...
  5. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

awesome pics and storys of adventure!! love it!
  6. HuskyT Moderator

I learned how to fly in a 1946 Cessna 140 that I painstakingly restored with my Dad in British Columbia over the course of about five or 6 summers from age 9 to 14. This picture brings back a lot of memories for me. Thanks, For posting it!

T
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Amazing report as always. What's next?!
  8. branchyboy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975 gp360 + 8
    wow thank you i felt like i was on the trip with you , that's gold!
  9. BrandonR Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for Another great RR.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

You need to do a coffee table book of all your ride reports. Include a couple of DVD's with some video and sell them by the hundreds. I will take two.
  11. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    Thanks for taking the time to post up those pictures and fine words - it kind of reminds me of the National Geographic magazines I scrounged (and treasured) as a kid! It's a little sad that you couldn't make it back to the crash site yet, but maaaan - it looks pretty tough out there...
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Sorry, kiddo [IMG] I noticed the photos were larger than usual. I got a new higher megapixel camera and that might be contributing to the size issue, too. On the other hand, your house is probably really clean now [IMG]

Thanks, ghte[IMG] I'm sure some folks are getting tired of my usual desert scenery, but I really love it out there. It's just wide open and beautiful to me.

That's the beauty of the desert, ray_ray! It looks barren from a distance, but once you get down into it you can smell the sage and feel the remoteness and the quiet...my goodness, the quiet...no sound of wind whistling through trees or anything...just the sound of your own heartbeat. Sometimes the coyotes or the wild burros make some noise, and there are always birds near water (which is where I usually end up being, too, for some odd reason [IMG]) but for the most part the striking desert silence is a refreshing and cleansing experience. It's kinda nice to know you're probably the only human beings withing a 50-100 mile radius...or more.

Thanks, WHITEROCKET5.9 [IMG] I appreciate the kind words!
  13. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I wish.[IMG]
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow...that's totally cool, Tim! I bet that was a really neat time for you and your father [IMG] Here's another image or two to help invoke those awesome memories...

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks, Walt [IMG] I dunno...we're tired. Been working like dogs and riding constantly (it seems like it, anyway) since December and the next planned ride we've got going is Kennedy Meadows over 4th of July weekend (Hey, DirtDame! Quit scrubbing your house and pay attention!) and so I think we're just going to chill out through June. I spent the entire day Sunday in my jammies and never left the house [IMG] That is quite a rarity for me. Even more rare is Eric washed one bike all weekend and that was it! No wrenchin' or fussin' or fixin' or tweakin'...nothin'! Crap...I hope we're not getting old or anything...

Thanks, branchyboy! That's the effect I'm going for..thanks for coming along [IMG]

BrandonR! Were your ears burning last weekend? We were talking about you..."the guy with the real Husky" [IMG]

You know, back in the day of usenet groups (no photos) I used to write up rambling reports of my adventures. My writing was much more fun and descriptive. The photos have made me lazy, in that they tell the story better than I ever could. I used to print them out (Eric's dad really enjoyed reading them) and I have them all in a binder somewhere. I wonder if it's possible to do the same thing with all these reports with photos? I wrote a story (and a poem) once about an enduro gone bad. Bikes were floating down the river, some bikes were lost, I was in the water up to my helmet, Eric's brand new bike spent the night on the banks of a swollen creek with a bent rod, snow was so heavy you couldn't see 5' in front of you. Anyway, we had to go back out and rescue Eric's bike the next day and tow it out of the canyon. I wrote about returning to the van after another hard day in the snow and rain and eating an ash-covered hotdog on a frozen bun that was rolling down the nasty floor of our cargo van. This was years ago and twice in the ensuing years other riders have exclaimed after meeting me "Hey! You're the gal that wrote that report! The hot dog rolling out of your reach! I remember that story!" It made me feel pretty damned good about myself, if you don't mind my sayin' so [IMG]
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The pleasure was all mine, 7point62 [IMG] I, too, love NG magazines. I could never be a NG photographer in a zillion years. Those guys just have "it," don't they?
    I was bummed about the flags, too...I really wanted to put those flags on the spot where those 11 servicemen lost their lives. My mom was a big supporter of veterans and I wanted to do it for her, too. The flags that are up there are really worn and tattered...
    P1020343.JPG
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, get your house in order so we can ride this July!
    Dirtdame likes this.
  17. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

LAWDY LAWDY MISS CLAWDY !!
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Um...ok...

thanks...I think?

[IMG]
  19. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I was maybe a little afraid of that. Actually the only rock walls I've taken down were those that needed to be rebuilt. Honest
    106 huh?
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG] Don't worry, it was all good!

Yep, 106...pretty nice, eh? [IMG]