More Carb news, TMxx info this time

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Motosportz, Dec 19, 2012.

1. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Got a Lectron coming from Kelly for my GG 250
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Tim the difference is definitely noticeable and usable. My RB TMXX is really good right now but the SC just had more throttle response, better power and much smoother. Rev'd quicker and all the other things that have been written. I think the 165 would be better with the 38 SC if you want to rev it at all. The 36 is better for me with either metering carb. I also really like the idea of no more puking gas on the two mile long nasty descents and climbs(or every time I flop). The difference wasn't as great as the difference that Kelly was noticing between the old TMX and the metering rod cards but it is definitely noticeable. I have to tell you the elimination of jetting issues, better fuel economy, and smooth seemless power are what is selling me. I look at the throttle response and increased power as just bonus's that I don't reallllly need. In its current tune the 165 is awsome and has more than I need everywhere. It definitely runs better than it did for you guys in Bend since I got the exhaust shim out of the middle of the exhaust port. Probably is closer to Brandon's than Kelly's. With the SC I whacked the throttle in 4th gear on the bottom just screwing around and if I hadn't had the left hand rear brake to detonate I was going to get a dirt enema.:eek:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Glad to know you feel the same way.

Exactly. Well put. More power? Well OK but the real nice thing is the smooth response that lets you control that power. Sweet.

Do you feel like you need to pull it open further than a standard carb to get to the tower? Tapered bore maybe? I thought it would be perfect with a slightly quicker throttle cam.

Conversely do you feel it likes big throttle openings much better than the jet carbs? My Lectron (and the APT) like huge openings pulling hills and pull hard. No bog just pulls. Love it. I an hardly wait to get this on some big technical hills.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It did pull farther but my real ride time and area were so limited that I couldn't make any kind of real judgement on throttle pull and openings. I also can't wait to get some real technical stuff done with these carbs. Other than a couple of trips south(big maybe), I won't be riding much until April at the earliest. Maybe I can demo a Lectron if I manage to escape south for a week?!
  5. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    I have a 2012 wr 300. I'm interested in the jd jet kit to fix a stumble at low rpm's when i start opening the throttle. I also was wondering why i can't find a replacement 6gay69-4 needle, or even a needle w the same diameters as measured w a micrometer.I currently have a 32.5 pilot, 440 main,clip in 4th down, 4.0 slide.Im at sea level and about 35 degrees,stock carb.
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Well, I got my JD jetting kit today. Except, they didn't include the needle jet (which is sort of the whole point of the kit). :banghead: Guess I'm not going riding this weekend...
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats odd. Did you call them and order it direct?
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Try a 40 pilot. That might help. That's what I am running.
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I called and talked to them, and they told me to order it on their website and gave me the part number.

I know I have the right kit because it has the right bike/year range on it, and the list in the box says it should have the needle jet. Sadly, it looks like somebody missed putting it in the box. :(

I called and emailed them, and I have always been happy with their service, so I have no doubt that they will send me a new jet right away. It's still a bummer because I was hoping to do the work on the bike this weekend, and now I can't.

For what it's worth, I am running a 35 pilot in mine, and I think I can go leaner. The JD kit comes with a 32.5, although it's hard to make a direct comparison because I don't know how much the different needle plays into the behavior right off idle.

It's interesting that he is describing problems, because I am on totally stock jetting except for the smaller pilot and my bike runs pretty well. I think there is power to be had with better jetting, but as far as stumbles, hesitations, etc, I have none of them. I can lug it at a walking pace in first and it pulls fine if I open the throttle from there.
  10. dan s Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 wr 250 A-Class
    I just received the same kit the new s9 nozzle was in my kit. I never played around with the nozzle before can't wait to try it out just waiting for my forks to come back from revalve and I will try. You should also check what number slide you have I have a 5 not a 4 and the said I may have to go slightly richer because I have a leaner slide.
  11. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    With the 40 pilot the bike loads up,and the air screw didn't make much difference. Once I decided on the 32.5 the bike ran way better. Maybe I'll fiddle w the air screw a little more.
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    What about a JD needle for the older TMX?
    Ive just pulled off my 36mm PWK because riding it back to back with my old TMX is has a lot less power mid to top .
    I can feel the power when the PWK felt dead beyond 7k
    The thing with the older TMX is it gives the bike an elastic band feeling - I really missed that with the PWK .
    The PWK reponds better but doesnt feel as good to me. Ive also had the 38mm and that was similar.
    Id rather put up with some bad to have the great when it is on form.

How does the Lectron feel?

Whats the newer TMXX feel like compared to older square slide carb ? Does it feel similar .
  13. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Do you have the cr ignition?-puts the zing into it
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Yes I just put it on .
    The improvement isn't as much as I was hoping -still early days
    The mikuni feels like it wants to rev the pwk hits early but feels a couple of hp down to me
    I like the character of the motor with the mikuni better
  15. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    So, I can give a partial report of the JD kid on my 2012 WR 300.

Setup: Stock bike, sea level, ~50 deg F.
    32.5 pilot, air screw 1 1/4 turns out (JD recommended 1 3/4, had to go in a bit to get better response off idle). 410 main, red needle, 2nd clip.

All of this is relative to the stock setup, which was GAY needle, 3rd clip, 420 main. I has changed the pilot to a 35.

In general, the bike ran really well. Definitely better than stock in the low/mid range, good throttle response, and some surging/stumbling that I had at a light cruise (like doing 40-50 mph on flat pavement) was gone. WOT power was, well, about the same, the bike is so ridiculous it's hard to judge WOT power.

Starting was improved but I still don't love it. Cold, choke on, it would cough and idle for a second and then die on like the 3rd kick, and then would usually start and idle with a few more kicks. Might improve if I richen the air screw a little more? Hot, it would usually start on the first or second good kick, with the throttle cracked; still makes it WAY easier to start if you lean it against a tree so you can stand on the pegs.

I was going to swap over to the Keihin PWK that I also have (brand new) to compare them, but I had an incident with a tree that ended my day early:

[IMG]

Got some stitches and my arm in a sling, hopefully I can get back out in a few weeks and finish the test!
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    ouch, heal fast.
    Coffee and Vinduro like this.
  17. dan s Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 wr 250 A-Class
    I just installed the JD jetting kit in my 2013 wr 250. It starts a little better and that's about it. Ran exactly the same in ways of performance. If I had to do it over again I would have spent the 100$ towards the keihin air stryker.
  18. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    That's interesting Dan, my bike definitely felt better right off idle and at little throttle with the JD kit. Started a little easier too, although it's still not great (not sure how much of it is jetting and how much of it is just the bike).

Where in NJ are you located? I'm in southeast PA but I ride a lot in the Wharton area. I was out there last weekend (see photo above for how that worked out...).

I have a PWK brand new in a box, as soon as I heal up I am going to run the two setups back-to-back to see how they compare. Should be interesting!
  19. dan s Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 wr 250 A-Class
    Yeah that's where I ride too. Yeah the only thing I noticed is the starting. I can live with it the way it is. I might try the smart carb some day but I'm tired of messing with carb issues. I rather be spending my time on handling. I was running 3/4 race fuel 1/4 pump fuel the other weekend and this weekend I ran 50/50 race fuel/pump fuel and it started even better.
  20. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like it rich on the pilot.