More news on the strada 650

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by firecrotch, May 12, 2012.

1. Sparrowhawk Husqvarna
    AA Class

I expect there are two hurdles for the Nuda and one and a half for the Strada. Both face emissions approval. Even though they are essentially the same as what BMW offers, there will be changes in FI, exhaust systems, valve timing etc. that will need to go through the approval process. This isn't any big deal. It's the same whenever a bike gets refreshed.

I thnik the big hurdle is getting dealers prepared to service, supply parts, and attract cstomers for a completely different kind of bike. There are a few BMW+ Husky dealerships that would make the transition easily but for others not so much. KTM took years to get the 950 twins into dealers. Most KTM dealers were dirt bike shops and didn't want anything to do with big street bikes. They are still having trouble breaking into the sportbike market. Even though it has much to offer, when was the last time you saw an RC8 or even a Duke on the floor at a KTM dealer?
    Motosportz and Muddy Waters like this.
  2. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

That makes sense to me Sparrow :cheers:
    ...and I live in the boondocks, I have yet to see a KTM dealership...
  3. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I understand it's about $30G's to get a bike approved to register for hiway use with California Air Resources Board (CARB). CA is the biggest bike market in the US. And that is per model.
    BMW made this mistake with the G450X and it finished off a good bike for them for lack of sales. The year it came out they couldn't sell it in CA.
    I dunno what the fed requires.