1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Note to BMW/HVA

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ohmygewd, Oct 17, 2012.

1. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Well I'm pissed off too! This should be in the general motorcycle discussions so four stroke guys don't miss the pictures of other manufacturers. You're so greedy lol.

I own a Yamaha but hang around here because the members are better. I have to admit though, I will own on when I can afford it mostly because of this forum.
    lankydoug likes this.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Just an OBTW, There is provision in the Husky 125 cases for an oil bathed starter motor, with the ability to run it direct to the clutch ring gear or with a normal solinoid engaged gear running on the primary drive gear from the oil injection location. We will be working on both possibilities this winter so that sometime next spring we can offer an electric leg for the 125/144/165. Some of you might think this is crazy to do for a tiddler motor. I can just tell you that we can sell at least a dozen of these the day they are available. Lots of us short/old guys that are sick of being left behind trying to find a way to kick start in an awkward position as your buddies ride into the next county after just hitting the button.
    Tentontimmy, Phoenix, Bill502 and 2 others like this.
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    First time I stalled my WR300 in an 18" deep puddle I missed having the magic button :-) Tiddler or not, there are situations where balancing on one leg and kicking is sub-optimal.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Man up girls :)
    shawbagga, marcmo0 and 454x like this.
  5. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Same cases back to 98. I am pretty sure this part of the cases is a relic of a much earlier street model that was intended to have an electric start. Husky now just uses a freeze plug to fill the machined hole between the clutch case and the tranny cavity. Actually I have no idea what was intended in this area of the tranny. But it is a large diameter area with machined surfaces and threaded bolt holes for attaching? The clutch side of the cases has another area for the oil injection pump on the WRE and SM european models that is adjacent to this other opening.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

If the button is there do you still use the kick starter?;)
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely right after I reach down, rip that thing off there with no tools and toss that E-start in the woods. :D

[IMG]

Just having some Friday fun man, sounds like another great idea from the wallyworld factory.
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    After Walt redesigns the entire 125/144/165, then it's time to relabel the brand.
    So will it become a Wallyvarna or Husqabean?
  10. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    LMAO off Matt......
  11. edmoto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 CR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400SR, XR250R, VOR503, GG XC300e
    I suspect patience is not a virtue?
    I think a DI 2 stroke from Husky is just around the corner. An early release 2014 in mid 2013. Ahh yes, so its been claimed "around the corner" since before forever. But I think this is where the BMW angle comes into play. BMW has a far longer view of the market. As a result, they want to have Husky make game-changing bikes versus year to year updates. They want to create machines for the future, rather than rehashed versions of current model year designs. And to make bikes that are distinctive to Husky. Such as a Beemer fan taking pride in their 6 cylinder bike, or classic flathead twin cylinder bikes. So too do they want people to develop an affinity for Husky specific design distinctions, rather than design similarities in a bike. Make a bike that is lighter by 5 pounds? Or makes 2 more HP? Or has electric start? Not enough. They want to make bikes that reset the bar and have an application and sales potential for years, not seasons. After all, BMW is making scooters now?!? And their flagship airhead is soon to be water cooled?!? Jeez, what's next... Harley making an overhead cam motor? Oh wait, they did already.
    I think BMW sees a better future for dirt bikes along the lines of "better technology makes better living". After all, a DIRT BIKE (no brand mentioned) purist would argue that a clutch as in the G450X aka TE511 is idiotic. Or that 2 strokes need a carb and a power valve, nothing else. But witness how sled manufacturers have brought orbital injection and E-TEC advances. So BMW is moving Husky into a strategic position to be competitive as a brand in the offroad segment. Yes, they could come out with a lighter frame, or 2 more HP in a motor redesign, or a new plastic color scheme. But that is just evolving the models. It is my opinion that BMW wants to redirect the market in a whole new direction, and in a direction that has the mettle to overcome the constantly changing emission standards in the US, EU, so on. So a DI 2 stroke is Husky's next play. But it takes time to make this technology work. Think Bimota VDue, Honda EXP-2, etc. So, as a big wig in BMW HVA, do you invest your hard earned money tweaking a 250/300 bike that is old and could use a lot of attention, or hold that design steady for a year or two past its due date to make a really big splash with a new motor/DI design? This is that long range vision that I believe BMW is bringing to Husky. Still, it doesn't make the current situation any easier to swallow. GG, Beta, TM, OSSA, Sherco... all very tempting. But I think without the current importer for GG, they'd be much less prevalent. TM is a nice bike, but if they became big, they'd no longer be TM, no? OSSA has DI, but the network and manufacturer support looks miniscule. I know of a few Husaberg who are quietly irritated that KTM is making their bikes a copy cat version of several KTM models. Husaberg had a real design innovation with their 70 degree engine... even if the new KTM motors in their standard configuration (some might say "typical" layout) have replaced the 70 motors because they really are lighter and slightly more powerful. Then again, there are lots of rabid Honda/Yamaha/Kaw/Suz fans out there. But all that enthusiasm is for one 450 and one 250 bike. Imagine how they would be beside themselves if Honda (for example) had multiple 4 stroke bikes AND 2 stroke bikes to choose from. They would all die from over excitement! So in a larger sense, Husky isn't all that bad. Could they be better? Absolutely. But the immediacy of excellence is a little slower coming for Husky now, but I think if patience could be a virtue, Husky will be very much on top of their game in the not too distant future and satisfy most enthusiasts.
    Twinair and water racer like this.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Cry and moan, go buy different brands, but I'll kick your butts on my trusty old WR. :D
    marcmo0 and 454x like this.
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wheres my WB165 E-starter? Make that 7 sells Walt :D :applause:.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am not sure if you are aware that the 6 speed transmission already exists on their shelves and they have been unwilling to give the customers one of the big things that they want for ZERO cost to them.
    It also would have been pretty easy to put the 250/300 motor in the newer chasis that came out in 2008, after all the the original 250/450/510 chasis was based on the WR/CR 250 chasis. We are not talking rocket science or hi cost re-engineering here, we are talking about giving the customer what they want for very little and selling more units while the new stuff is developed. I do think they are in the business of selling bikes and more is usually better.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I think I might want a DI 200cc bike in a CR/WR144 frame but I expect it would cost around 8K, maybe more. I think back at why I sold my GasGas and bought a new left over 09 Wr250 and there is still no new bike that I would rather buy given the same choice of deals so Husky is doing something right ... at least for me. My WR cost $4,900 new, it fits me better than any other bike, it's within 10 lbs of any of it's competition and the WR250 is known for being dependable. The difference in dollars allowed me to customize it to suit my needs making it even better when compared dollar for dollar to the competition. I am a very competitive person but my drive to compete is fueled by my desire to get better than I am rather than better than someone else. I apply that to trail riding an really could care less about racing. If I enter a hare scramble or enduro it is only for the opportunity to ride in a new or fun place. IMO Husky hit the mark with the WR250/300 and the only real improvement I would pay for is maybe a lighter bike but not 3K more. If you agree with any or all of my points you probably already own a WR250 or a WR300.

If you are shorter and like the GasGas better because it fits you better and you can hit the button on a side hill because your legs are too short to kick start it then I can understand your preference but that doesn't mean that Husky missed the mark for everyone.

Here is a little song you can sing while your riding your GasGas

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA
    adam6402 likes this.
  16. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Right On..............:popcorn:
  17. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    Very well said, the WR's are the ticket. I don't want big changes, gimme six speeds and some red rims and i'm cool; then stock them with Metzlers and a Keihin carb. Bingo.............
  18. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    The real issue to me.. is Husky(and I am thinking more BMW) has missed the boat on planned obsolescence(understatement) the actual Wr250 as old as it is.. really a pretty good bike....sure its tall..has a funny kicker..and its old school in too many ways....But to be honest I really think Its BMW's image and corporate philosophy(I think its a German ECO thing) to not get too overly involved with the 2T market..thats the way I see it...and that really bugs me

The WR 250 is a great classic bike.....but how good could it have been...with constant proper development will always be a source of wonder:thinking:
  19. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
  20. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Everyone Hang on!!!...I am pretty sure that in this photo, Chuck Norris is testing the latest Husky 2t, direct injected, e-start with back up kickstart bike from Husky. It is available in 125, 144, 165,200, 250, 300 and 350. Those machine guns, rockets and missiles are going to come factory intalled as OEM equipment as well. This way you can blast the $#^! out of anyone in front of you. Easily making you the first back to the car/finish line regardless of how fast/slow you are, or how heavy/light the bike is/ or how many times you had to kick or push the button. Just don't blame Husky if you are a bad shot...It is clearly stated in the manual that Husky is not responsible if you suck at shooting and blowing things up.
    water racer likes this.