opinions on using fuel injector cleaner?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Irocleis, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bigmo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    I am a HUGE believer in Techron (the expensive stuff, not the $3 a bottle stuff). I have personally had this clear up EFI related check engine lights over the past few years four times now. On my truck that sees VERY predictable use, my mileage ALWAYS goes up a full mpg averaged over 3-4 tanks. The stuff flat out works. My vehicles get it once a year - it is a small investment.
    justintendo likes this.
  2. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    You're doing pretty well in my opinion! Often though the MSDS's will only show the contents up until a point, it won't show a manufacturer's "secret herbs and spices" which is considered intellectual/trade property - Unique additives dont always have to be disclosed if it reveals a product's unique action unless it poses a significant heath risk and it hasnt been covered under a generic chemical name earlier in the MSDS/SDS document. At least that's the deal with Safety Data Sheets here.

I have a basic chemistry knowledge, I understand the ethanol/alcohol raises the Octane Number (but does NOT necessarily raise the CPE content (Chemical Potential Energy)) which is the amount of compression the fuel can resist before self combusting prior to a desired controlled spark ignition (pre-ignition/knocking = hole in piston, hole in cylinder, hole in head, piston in the side of the cylinder! etc.). Other additives like petroleum products from higher/lower in the oil refining process (or non-petroleum based at all) can be added to give more bang (CPE). Some claim to add oxygen, not sure if they do but that could in theory lead to increased CPE. Don't forget the surfactants. There is also a trend of adding pretty colours and fragrances too.
  3. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    Crossing over into fuel a bit but - In regards to octane, there are technically three entirely different potential meanings for octane. 1 - Octane Number = the above meaning used to gauge resistance to self ignition under compression. 2 - Octane the hydrocarbon, eg. methane, ethane, methanol, ethanol etc. 3 - Sometimes used by manufacturers to imply higher octane means better performance or better mileage. This is false, some products do this but likely not by using ethanol alone . This wiki is awesome for explaining energy content of fuels thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    chevron techron is very good
  5. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We have heard really good things about Justice Brothers injector cleaner,I just had a 212 mile 2011 TE630 with stuck fuel pump amd plugged injector.We put in new pump and after starting on starting fluid for 15 minutes of running at idle only about 1200 rpm and missing I added 1/3 camn of Justice brothers and let it idle for 25 minutes and it went up to 1500 rpm and now takes throttle starts and runs perfect.I have never had any other cleaner take and while running clean itself out like that and all I know is after 15 minutes of warm up it would barely idle and 25 minutes later took throotltlee again and 3 days later starts perfect runs perfect.We had a really hard time finding the stuff it just happened a local auto parts started selling it a week ago.:banana: .We have alot of injector problems and cant wait to try it on the next te/txc that has a plugged one.
    ray_ray likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I run Chevron premium on my bikes and it has Techron in it. Dont feel the need for more. I'd actually like to know which additive lubricate stuff. As for cleaning a motor Kreen is the strongest. Many detergents out there like seafoam and marvels but they contain a bunch of filler. If you really need to clean a motor out use Kreen but not as a typical all the time additive IMHO. I learned this while I was deep into Vintage cars. Stuff was amazing as cleaning those old cars out from sitting. I've had pretty much zero fuel related issues on my bikes.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Interesting Bill. Looked at their site, says alcohol free :thumbsup:
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I cant say about F injectors my bike at the time was carburated 1987 FZR1000 Yamaha. 5 valve head bike. 4 downdraft carbs (or high angle at least). The valve overlap was high on this bike and I noticed that the intake valves were getting very fouled and built up with black deposit/combustion "tar". I ran one tank through loaded with Chevron Techron added in at the max prescribed mix. I pulled the carbs after that tank and my intake valves were completly clean. So for once I had visual proof of an additive doing its job on deposits. So Techron does clean at the least intake valve and intake deposits for sure from my visual experience.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Agree. Read a post on a car site a while back where a guy had one of those scope cameras with pix of the vales. Lots of black crap. Ran Techron and showed the after pictures and they looked new. Pretty cool.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    ford has prescribed techron in service bulletins to remove carbon and remove sulphur buildup on fuel senders...many times it would stop the erratic fuel reading..
  12. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    All I know is we have replaced at leat a dozen clogged injectors this year and im loving that $4 worth of Justice Brothers will save my customers over $200 in repair cost .So cant wait until another one comes in to try it again .I run Chevron/Texaco with Techron in all my stuff and no problems ever .We are seeing all kinds of corrosion and build up in throttle bodys on bikes sitting and not ridden much so everything helps.
    robertaccio likes this.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Thanks Bill, keep the reports coming.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Is this the "expensive" stuff?: http://www.amazon.com/Chevron-65740...e=UTF8&qid=1406912063&sr=8-1&keywords=techron
    BTW the Justice Brothers site is down. So I'm going for the Techron.
  15. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  16. Green Mtn Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 310
    Anyone know if the Justice Bros cleaner is sold by anyone in northeast US? Web site said no shipping.
  17. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    BillF-
    So where are Justice Brothers products available? Their website is absolutely no help, which strikes me as bizarre for a longstanding operation.
    And, unrelated to some extent, I still do not understand any of the chemistry.
    Phil in Yakima, with a te310 which runs due to you, your guys, your parts (and my money).
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The site comes up for me but it is bizarly hard to find. No list of vendors, say "not for sale on line", cant find injector cleaner on eBay, amazon, google shop. Odd.
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I swear by using seafoam in my vintage tractors. Seafoam keeps the gas more stable and fresh. Seafoam lubes the upper cylinder like the valves, valve guides besides keeping the rings seated and free of carbon.
    We add it to the gas tank and crankcase oil. Just a little will do you in motorcycles.

It's the best fuel stabilizer I have ever used during the winter storage too. All my equipment starts up in the springtime like it was never parked.

I have had nothing but problems with stabil

My generator had stabil in it and the carb gummed up. I added seafoam and filled the tank. I ran it and let it sit. It was running rough and uneven. After letting it sit for about a week she fired up and ran perfectly. Seafoam works while the equipment is sleeping.
    ray_ray likes this.
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i have never had good luck with stabil...especially with the newer fuels. sea foam is good stuff
    ray_ray likes this.