1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Round II - '72 450 Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by mike328, May 10, 2011.

1. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Front backing plate looks good ...so do brakes IMG00048-20110620-1917.jpg IMG00050-20110620-1918.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rear and front wheel & hub...Hubs looks good...but the rims are in tough shape, tires are shot. Kinda hard to see the dents flat spots etc, but I pointed out a crack

Attached Files:

3. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some idiot used screwdrivers to change tires at some point in this bikes life...so I figured I will be needing these, new shoulder rims.. sorry didn't unwrap them I need to get them to Woodys and have them drilled etc.. just doing this as I can

Attached Files:

4. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The seat has been brazed..this is a weak point on huskys...but the cover looks serviceable! The night ended with me huffing cleaning solvents!...oh yea had a few cold ones too.. I will resume posting as I progress to show finished items... Frame is about done..This is gonna be a long project..

Attached Files:

5. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

some bling.. had some parts electroless nickel plated... not many BUFO bolts but those that made it get replated

Attached Files:

6. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

bing carb ... the slide is shot... worn down where it hit the idle screw..also needle very badly pitted. kinda hard to see but the slide groove is worn badly... not straight

Attached Files:

7. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok... frame painted ..now install the steering head races.. I used a block of wood..and beat that up..better tool would have been a lead hammer.. here I am using the wood on the lower race..

Attached Files:

8. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

next need to install bearings.. but need to do install with the frame upside down.

Attached Files:

9. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

bearings in place...then turn the frame upright ...

Attached Files:

10. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I keep telling myself .."its gonna be a Rider".....LOL
    Also sorry about photo quality..kinda blurry

side note:for those who store their photos on DVD/CD & use a sharpie/magic marker to label them. I recently learned that the ink in these detorriates the media, and the photos are unreadable. Sharpie now makes a marker specifically for DVD etc.
    HuskyT likes this.
  11. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Took a break this weekend from the 450 & rode the CR250.. Please don't flame me because its not Husky.. The CR250 does have HUSKY Hi-Rise bars..!! Anyway had a Mikuni and swapped out the Keihin, did this because jets for the Keihin for my elevation are as rare as hens teeth...

Attached Files:

12. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the original tank ..no dent on the side,(reflection)..but need to pick up an aftermarket pipe..I am now realizing what some exhaust pipes have sold for.. so I rode it this weekend..had the throttle cable...so replaced the throttle cable/carb yaddda yadda .. now I am having problems with the throttle cable & the amount of free play... makes me want to leave the front brake & clutch alone... oh well monday I call the person who sold me the cables..months ago!...LOL

Attached Files:

13. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

FYI, I had the same issue on a 74 250 mag that I restored a few months back except the lip was entirely gone in about a 30 degree section. Built it back up with weld (not sure what rod my brother used, for he welded it up). I Was then able to recut the brake face and groove on a Prototrak Bridgeport.
    mike328 likes this.
  14. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Metalhof...nice bike in your avator & Thanks for the info I like keeping that as reference material..Any idea what caused this for both of us?
  15. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

16. retro rocket Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think your wear is a result of the axle bush in the brake plate being worn. My theory being that if there is excessive free play in the plate the action of braking will twist the plate and in doing so it temporally makes contact with the hub as it rotates and so creates the wear you describe.
    mike328 likes this.
  17. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Rocket", I was thinking the same thing too. However I 'collected' a few (axle bushings) and actually the original one on the "worn brake backing plate" is slightly longer or the same length on the inboard side (Brake drum side) than the others, yours included.
    I went to a motorcycle salvage yard, actually to have a cable made, but me & the owner started talking about brake backing plates. He told me where to look in his yard, I found a 360 sportsman brake backing plate & IT TOO was worn like mine. I didnt buy any brake backers but I am beginning to see a "theme".
    I am beginning to think its the brake arm stay & when those bushings go out at the Brake backing plate and where the brake arm connects to the frame..you get the "flex" of the hub then the wear. The 360 Sportsman's bushings were worn out or gone...cant remember now... its just a theory but I'm gonna follow up & ask John Lefevere see if he has any ideas. I bet he will know.. Both my bushing are deterroiated..the rubber surrounding them is almost like a thick oil consistency that 'rolls' off & dissintegrates to a thick rubbery grease..with very small chunks of rubber. I seen the same detorration on the old carburetor "o" rings

BTW the salvage yard I went to, the guy has a Maico 501, he traded a used tire for it!.. a Bultaco pursang signed by jim pomeroy.. a montesa cappra, etc..
  18. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update...Carb rebuilt.. engine done, small stuff being painted etc... working on "MISC" sourcing bolts...LOL.. SHOCK bolts...funny; the original BUFO bolts to mount the shocks is a 3/8, 24 pitch 1 5/8" long bolt... (SAE??) yep yep.. not metric size.
    I am going to get new 3/8 bolts with approximately the same shoulder & cut them to length... I will be using the BUFO from my '71 400 for the "original".... now need to build a jig to cut the bolts to length...continuing
  19. offyatindy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 Husqvarna 450WR
    Just read your post about the brake bushing. Took mine apart a couple days ago and found mine had deteriorated as well in the same way that you described. Thinking I might be able to wrap the center metal tube in thick fuel line as a temporary fix. We will see.
  20. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

"tindy"...I am trying to source more of those bushings.. I will let ya know.
    meanwhile, since I was taking photos of my 400 spark arrestor I decided to gather parts and show the progress on my 450.
    Wheels drilled, had to send to Buchannons to drill...Woodys superlaced the SS spokes..
    These are new Akront Morad rims....
    Brakes...one set is SBS....the other with the cuts into the shoe are a set I picked up, thought I would give them a try...the SBS feels more aggressive..I may put that one on the rear

Attached Files: