Stonyford Husky Ride Photos

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, May 16, 2011.

1. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

As usual, AWESOME !!!
    Flying Trash Can likes this.
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yeah, no kidding! I'm ready for summer and dualsport rides out to lakes and rivers.
    Eric got a photo of you, too, but I messed it up when trying to edit/crop it. It ended up too light, but here it is. The snow photos above are untouched...
    [IMG]

No, it was south of Mill Valley. I think it was somewhere off of 20 where it hooks up with 3 and 16N18, but I can't remember.

Don't know where we'll be on that weekend but we'll be in Nevada right before that so we'll probably be pretty tired...and broke :o

Hah! I didn't realize "Bob Greene" was BFB :lol: I shoulda known when you said you were going riding with OssieDog :p
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks! By the way, we were talking about you when you weren't around [IMG]
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyway, we decided to get out of the storm before we ended up stuck there, so we headed towards the eastern side.
    I like the snow collected in little_twin's backpack...
    [IMG]

Jack didn't mind a little snow. See that smile on his face? I'm pretty sure it was there all day...
    [IMG]

I was envious of Jack's 450 on some of those climbs over on the eastern side. For some reason he didn't want to trade me for my little tiddler 144...
    [IMG]

Ahh...blue sky...sorta...
    [IMG]

The drive to Stonyford is worth it for the views alone!
    [IMG]

The obligatory splash photos on Trail 28. Eric's camera was still foggy and wet from the snow when Nick went through,
    but it was clear by the time Jack and I quit shooting the breeze at the top and made our way down. Or it could have been the fact that I fell twice right before
    the bottom...
    [IMG]

Me...
    [IMG]

Jack...
    [IMG]

The storm was chasing us all day, but we managed to keep outriding it. This was a lovely spot in the sun. Note the tasty German chocolate dirt...
    [IMG]

Triple-sexy Husky love...
    [IMG]

The climb out of the Salt Creek Canyon is relatively easy except for one part. There's a right turn and then BAM! big uphill.
    Eric made it up. Nick was right behind him and bailed early in the climb in order to get a better line. He was in the process of turning around
    when I went flailing by. It was a lot of work, and I'm extremely thankful for the lack of video equipment since my particular technique on this day
    consisted of "make it up at all costs." Remember, the sun had come out so the little WR was running differently than it had earlier in the morning...

I gotta go to softball in about 4 minutes. I promise I'll finish up when I get home!!
  5. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm late to the party, but awesome as usual WC!
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, xymotic! Where've you been?? Better late than never [IMG]

So, where was I? Oh yeah, the hill...

So I damn near burned up my clutch getting up that hill, but I made it. It wasn't pretty by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure Nick was laughing at my stunning display of stellar riding skills [IMG] Eric and I sat at the top for awhile and waited. I had no doubt Jack could make it up no problem, and Nick had been riding like a champion all day (at least he was for the few minutes I kept him in sight [IMG]) so no worries there...so what was the hold-up? Eric finally went back down to see what was going on...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Seems that Jack had taken the funky line and ended up losing momentum in the loose stuff. I've ridden up this hill many, many times in the past and don't ever remember it being as loose and slidey as it was this day. Anyway, Nick came charging up the hill like his life depended on it and ripped off some monster air off the lip in the photo above. Of course, I was poised to film the action in hi-def video. And, of course, I couldn't see what I was doing and ended up watching him ride on by with a camera that didn't catch one frame [IMG]

Next up was Jack, and I thought I'd figured it out and was going to film him coming up. At least this time I got some actual photos, since I was in "burst" mode instead of movie mode [IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Next up was Eric, and I finally figured out what I was doing! I got some great footage, even though I recorded myself saying "Is this thing on? Is it recording?" like a total photo-idiot.
    The good news is the footage turned out great; the bad news is when I downloaded it to my computer it turned into a regular still jpeg of an empty trail [IMG] I gotta spend some time downloading the user manual and software this weekend and see if I can't resurrect it from the dead. I didn't take any more photos of the ride, but we had a ball dropping down into the Wolf Creek staging area and back up over the hill and down to camp. We pulled into camp after 45 miles of totally killer trail riding! We all had a blast, and we're both looking forward to riding with Jack and Nick again in the near future [IMG]I was bummed to hear I missed Jerbear [IMG] I was hoping you'd come back before we left! We'll have to meet up next time [IMG]

So, to recap: the riding was great, the weather was warm, cool and then exciting and beautiful, the camping was waaay nicer than I thought it would be at Davis Flat, and the company could not have been better. Seriously, what a great group of people! I really enjoyed sitting around the fire and talking with everyone about all kinds of stuff. A very interesting and lively group, for sure [IMG] I hope those that came had a good time, and I hope those that missed it will try hard to make the next group ride/camp. It's a pretty rewarding experience all the way around [IMG]

I took 2 more photos on the way home, one in the pouring rain with a rainbow, and one a few minutes later across from the Squaw Creek Inn in the warm sunshine. Kind of a microcosm of our weekend, don't you think?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    ozzie and Flying Trash Can like this.
  7. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I got no excuse, I've been on the computer A LOT more than I've been riding: I broke my arm in Feb and last friday two days before I was "healed" I broke my hand.
  8. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

So that's why my ears were ringing all weekend!!! LOL...... With that weather, there would have been no need for the high output feather duster either.
  9. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    All kind of strays wondered in and out of your camp. The lucky ones got to ride the Mendo trails with you. :applause:
    xymotic....sorry to read of your....breakage's. WT...F?`
  10. ozzie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank god you ran out of photos Woodschick, your making me a little bit envious over here mate, some nice track their [IMG]
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    It was indeed strange weather. Sunshine & major downpours all the way home... Talked to a friend near Napa and apparently they had hail & lightning. [IMG]
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Still, it was all good.[IMG] No tornadoes or flooding.[IMG]
    Coffee likes this.
  13. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Too bad I couldn't stay for the last day of riding, it looks like I missed out on some of the magic... Hopefully there will be a next time.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I know this section of road ;) .. It teaches balance and throttle control .... And clutch feathering ...
  15. Srad600 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '04 TC450 Plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    '96 XR650L SUMO, '11 KTM 990ADV
    Great RR as usual, I should have been there. :banghead: I only managed to get the bike running "Reasonably" well this past Saturday (gotta love tuning at Carnegie). The carb needed some work and unfortunately my landlord is very anti-motorcycles. "No working on bikes, even in my garage"...lovely. Time to find a new place. :thumbsdown:
  16. bigjon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 WXC410 2000 TE410 2008 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJR 1300 Polaris 500
    Oh how sweet it is...We have lots of areas up here that this reminds me of. All I can say is Wow'. thanks for posting. you really have a great camera eye. Almost ready to ride, too maby other stuff came up at the last minute. I will get to ride soon.
  17. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Woodsie don't you know that good things come in small packages.
    Well you have done it again, another compelling and riveting escapade with a happy ending (Eric getting another Husky and presumably flicking the Kato- Big Hooray there).
    Keep the stories coming. I look forward to them very much.
  18. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

As ALWAYS great stuff!!!
  19. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow...haven't seen you around in a long time! Where've you been?? :lol:

Glad you liked the report :thumbsup: We need to do another ride/camp get-together real soon here in NorCal :)
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, ghte! I missed your post...didn't see it til jfoulkrod posted yesterday. You'll be happy to know that our dualsport ride reports will be much nicer to look at from now on :D

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Kevin_TE250 and Coffee like this.