Tecate to Cabo in Dec. -- Interested?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Do it! If nothing else the chase truck is a lot of fun!
  2. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

:cheers: Ahh Dean, you have no idea how badly I want to, over the last three years I've made a few ride plans & had to bail on all of them because of my damn leg.

Just started back to work, & hopefully I'll find someone who doesn't mind riding with me in the dirt, like an old panic stricken grandma till I get my dirt legs back.

Seeing a couple fellow Canadians planning on doing it & they're relatively close by, opened the window of opportunity to me just a crack :).

If there's still an opening in the fall, I'll have a better idea if it's a go, or no go.

Till then I can just dream & hope :cheers:
  3. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

Don't have enough vacation time! :cry:
  4. If I don't ship the Husky down to Colombia, I might try to make it.
  5. Motobob356 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds like a great trip. Do we need a certain # of riders to make this happen? I would really like to make it -this is something I have been wanting to do for awhile. Is the riding about the same type of terrain/difficulty we saw on the recent Husky ride? I'm sure we will see more as this builds momentum.
  6. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike,

Currently those dates you proposed look good for me. Meet at HSV Sat afternoon(12/26/09) and leave from there early morning Sunday. We would probably need to fly out of Cabo to SD on Sunday the 3rd.

The girlfriend is excited to come too. She is a little less apprehensive about going down there with all of you after meeting and riding with us to the Husky Monument.

My dad is willing to drive chase down there, but he would like to drive with someone, so hopefully I can get Dave to come along again. He's always a good guy to have with us in Mexico.

Mike, are you willing to drive the chase truck and trailer back? I'm not sure that my dad or I can get that much time off work to make the couple day drive back from Cabo.

We also need to figure the minimum (I would be fine if it was you, me and George) and maximum as larger groups can get really hard to coordinate and cost daylight/force us to take pavement as we saw on the last SF trip.

This ride has been on my todo list for many years, and I can't think of a better group of guys to do it with! I hope we can make it happen.

-Blake
  7. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

8. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    South of the boarder is out of my comfort zone. An adventure north of the boarder sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

I hear Vancouver Island BC, Canada doesn't have snakes or bears, or drug lords with guns.. A perfect place to camp out in the wild with a Husky. :excuseme:
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im stoked to see your dad is down with driving down.
    I will drive back. Ive put the comfortable stock seats back in my truck. Room for 3 others to drive up. :thumbsup:
    Everyone else flys home. Tickets will need to be bought soon. I guess that will be the 'test' - if ya have a flight home, you are on the ride! For those on a sever budget there are cheap buses (ive done it in my riding gear) and there is a small number of seats in the truck.

I think the minimum number of riders is 6. I think it will be easy to do that. I think the max should be around 12-13, with the idea breakdowns, crashes, etc. will mean about 10-12 making it all the way down, and most likely 1-2 will back out at the last minute for a variety of reasons...
    First come, first put on the list. Folks must post that they are 100% commited, once the trip is announced (right now its just discussion) and they have a plane ticket.

The real max is how many can fit on my truck and trailer for the drive up. I will take a closer look, but i think i can get 3 in the back of the truck and 8-9 on the trailer, sideways, on a long flatbed. Any group bigger will require 2-3 chase trucks, and some serious planning. A group of 10 all the way down to Cabo is a big group. Malcolm and others who do large rides hire transport trucks, and maybe in the future years that will might be an option...but Malcolm doesnt have an F350 dakar chase truck...:)

We could probably have local SoCal folks who want to tag along for 2-3 days up north and then head home on their own. Just ideas.

Riding all the way down is really something special. Theres a real sense of accomplishment when ya pull up to KM 0 at the old plaza in Cabo. :thumbsup:

10. UberKul Husqvarna
    AA Class

I better bag it right now. Brother can't get the time off and wife is not as excited as I am. Take lots of pics and make me hate you all!:D
  11. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    :lol: That's funny :)

Ok, I'm ready to go! :thumbsup:

Time off: Check

Funds: Check

Passport: Check

GPS: Check

SPoT: Check

Willing Riding Partner: Check

Enthusiasm: Check

Commitment: Check

TE: Uh...I'm working on it :D

WoodsChick
  12. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Mike I can always count on you and George for epic rides....F*** yea Im ready to go.

But only if Blakes dad Scotty does another BB-Q.!! You can put me on your list when

you create one. Nick will be a maybe, I have'nt told him of the ride yet but I will today.

C-ya guys...Jim
  13. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I'm interested, and depending upon the dates may actually be able to swing it. I'd have to meet up with you at the start as I'd be trailering from Omaha.
  14. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, my status went from interested, past possible, even past probable, to committed.

If you guys are doing this ride on the dates Mike Kay published, then I'm in. I'm sure there will be a lot of logistics to work out as I'm coming from Omaha, but I am able to be responsible for getting my bike to and from the SoCal area and meeting up at the start point (if not earlier). If any other midwesterners are going, perhaps we can coordinate something.

And yes, I'm pumped about this!

Y
  15. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

outta da 'Ha. :applause:

Can you swing by New Mexico along the way? Pick up Howard and his 610?
    Or maybe have those crazy canucks pick ya up on their way from Ontario.

One drive one way, the other fly's, and then revers it the way home?

Lots of time to figure it all out. Although it will be high season and flights would best be purchased in the next month or 2.

Bad news is gas will be $5/gallon by Xmas. :excuseme: So for sure truck pooling is gonna be a good idea, especially you long haulers. :thumbsup:
  16. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Mike,
    I know the trip is in planning stage so: Keep in mind If another chase

is needed my F350

big cab, big bed would be happy to go down as a parts/gas hauler if

group is on the

bigger side and someone wants to drive it down. Can take 4 riders

and 4 bikes home.
    :thumbsup:
    C-ya Jim
  17. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
  18. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Damn you all to Hades! Holiday timing is a no go unless I can convince my other half to take the kids down to Cabo to meet us at the end for our own vacation. Lots of logistics getting back too. Hmmmmm. I love the Baja I've seen so far and know there's lots more out there.
  19. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    As you said, lots of time to figure it out.

Four options spring to mind currently; I have a trailer-in-a-bag single rail trailer that I use to get my track bike to & from area tracks. I tow it with an Equinox, so I cannot pull a really big trailer. Given this:

1. Get my butt and my bike to SoCal by trailering direct from Omaha.
    2. Beg, borrow, or steal a two-bike trailer and swing through NM to pick up Howard.
    3. Hitch a ride with folks coming from Up North.
    4. Ship my bike to SoCal in advance and fly out for the trip.

We'll get this sorted out.
  20. tlking6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm hovering over this thread with extreme interest!! I take that time off every year, traditionaly, and camp out in the desert with my wife and recoup from the holiday madness. I am so ready for a new tradition!!!
    I think, if I am in, I would want to be part of the return trek home with the chase trucks.