The Cebu, Negros, Panay, And Masbate Islands Ride

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by ray_ray, Feb 15, 2012.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    cool picts. You should consider starting a moto adventures type tourguide company. Seeing how the islands over there are friendly and safe to americans it would be a killer little duel sport adventure location me thinks.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats whats he is doing :cheers:
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Really cool Ray.
    Good luck starting your adventure touring business.
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    ah cool didnt know that. Seems like the perfect place for it
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    The people, terrain and riding atmosphere are very good but difficult to get bikes in here as compared to most places around the world so we will supply the bikes and all travel costs while on a tour ... No real riding gear provided as of now ...

Due to the bike importing saga, the Philippines are skipped over to some degree and that is a lose to us all as this place needs the business and it is such a great place to ride a bike..

We wanna be as much of dirt \ trail riding as possible and not so much high daily mileage or 'adventure' oriented ... The ADV will happen by default and we want to supply as much off-road riding as possible and provide some unrestricted, open, dirt bike riding.... We have to hit the hardtop to move around but our goal it to limit it as much as possible ...

This place is evolving ... slowly, no bubbles here, but as seen in this pic it is happening... This was one of the gnarly east-to-west trails we cross Cebu on ... Still pretty gnarly today, just wider, but in 2yrs it might be all cement if the money does not run out ...

The trail\road goes between the dozer and the pole ...last yr they dozed this out to 1 good size lane and now it looks like they are trying to make it into 2 lanes ...
    100_5883.JPG 100_5884.JPG
  6. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok .. Here are some pics from the actual tour ... 10 days, ~1000 miles of dirt, street, ST, BRGYS, cities ... 6 boat rides, numerous bridges (big & small) ... Rain, beer, sand, and plenty of helpful people along the way ... Samar island was also crossed ....

The Husky did OK... I did blow out the front disc rotor 1/2 through and rode with only a rear brake but that was not so bad ... These types of rides are hard on a bike due to the high mileage in a short time and overall lack of maintenance time allotted due to time constraints ...

I'll have a pointer to more pics at the end here and have some helmet cam vids later also ... My CoutourRoam, model 1600, was DOA but I have some vids from the other riders ...

I've got ~800 pics so I can't really lay them out in any real order so what follows will be random pics and I'll try to add some headers to each ...Always check out the scenery :) ...

Yams wr250 and wr450 were the other bikes we had so be prepared to see blue ...

This pic is sort of shows the attention we get as we cross the islands ... Everyone thinks we are probably motocrossers moving on to a race because we are on big bikes ... We always draw a crowd that is curious about the foreigners ... Everyone wants to see a show ...Everyone is helpful and an inspiration along the way ... I thank every who cheered us on and helped us along the way and we had lots of guides clearing trails for us along the way ...
    100_0192 - Copy.JPG 100_0369.JPG 100_0949.JPG 100_6176.JPG 100_6198.JPG
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    We had plenty of rain ... More than expected really for this time of the year...

100_6224.JPG 100_6230.JPG

Leyte Island ... Leyte Landing Memorial, located at the Red Beach, Palo, Leyte.
    100_6244.JPG

The big guy walking in front is a true war hero yesterday, today, and tomorrow here.
    100_6251.JPG

Samar Island and this is really getting primitive here ... This Sitio (village) exists at this location as a natural spring is close enough to supply water ... No water, life cannot exist ...
    100_6291.JPG
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More Samar and wilderness ... This pic is about 4 miles up the trail from the last pic .... This area would make a true adventure type ride ... Looks isolated but notice the trail .. Well worn so people are using it on a regular basis ...
    100_6305.JPG

Main street....
    100_0199.JPG

Masbate beach ....
    100_6458.JPG

Smallish pump boat but we crossed to Panay Island quickly ....
    100_6465.JPG

Small, isolated resort on the north shore or Panay ....
    100_6553.JPG
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Panay Island...We are trying to push across a MT range in the center of the island ..

I'm sort of the point man and pushed across most of the ST first...Here I've already made a climb and get a shot of the staged, trail riders...
    100_6612.JPG e

Some of the guides who help us up the ST... You can see the bikes in the distance...
    100_6626.JPG

100_6712.JPG

We crossed here just to the right side of the small, most distant tree on the left side of that hilltop...
    IMG_0479.JPG

This stuff was all very ridable since it was dry ... A little rain and the difficulty level would skyrocket on the slippery mud ... And at this point in the ride, our knobbies were getting very worn ...
    IMG_0549.JPG
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The ship for the ride from Panay to Negros ... Nice warm raining day ;0

100_6793.JPG

I never saw this bridge till this pic ...
    IMG_0170.JPG

Because we crossed it at night ... Very spooky for me because it was wet and the bridge swayed the entire way across ...
    IMG_0194.JPG

Fresh coconut juice is the best stuff going on the trail....
    IMG_0226.JPG ha

This crossing was a pain but no real chance of a real injury ...
    IMG_0246.JPG
  12. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Man that awesome territory ! You have the job of jobs.....
  13. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep, the different islands have slightly different terrain with boat crossing making somewhat different and interesting travel between them... We plan on going back and doing some re-routing in a month or so ...I'm gonna get a GPS which will help greatly in both following and recording trails ...

Here are a few more bridge crossings .....
    IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0171.JPG
  14. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Made a stop at Kwajalein back in my Navy days.
  15. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

truly amazing trip (you should post this on Adventure Rider), but I have to ask about the fuel supply and octane quality for the Husky high comp engine? Your bike seems to have a small tank and there were no photos of you ever filling it..
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Fuel is not really a problem here ... A larger tank is not needed because even in the isolated areas, motorcycles are still the weapon of choice here and someone will be selling gas out of coke bottles ... Same gas from the retails that they have bought and marked up the price per liter and pour into liter size coke bottles ... Within a day, 100 miles or so, we'll be back to a more civilized area and just top off the tanks again from a retail station ...

Premium gas here is marked as 93-97 octane and usually marked as containing 10% ethanol ... Expensive stuff.. priced from 56P per liter to ~70P in remote places ...

99% of the time, fuel from the bottles is OK but on occasion, it might make the bike cough some ... I like buying from these guys as it promotes their lively
    hood and overall good will for me, a foreigner, I get a free drink of beer or shot of rum sometimes from the sellers, and they pour the gas sometimes for me ...

~Maybe ~never had my Husky ping any in the 2.25 yrs I've been here ...
  17. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'd love to come take a tour with you. Time and money probably makes it prohibitive, though. :)
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep I can see that as some issues ... ESP airline tickets ... I've flown round trip here for ~800$ in the past but not lately ....

I'd like to do the Desert 100 again but your latter mentioned prohibition has a hold on me :(
  19. 3116biff Husqvarna
    B Class

Wow, That looks amazing. Any idea when you might get this going and price of the tour??

Thx Scott
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    We just finished our longest tour ... The pics here are from that 5 island, 11 day ride ... Prices range from $125 to $175 per day, depending on the tour route and what islands we cover ... This includes pretty much all costs while on the tour ... A bike to ride, food, drinks, rooms, gas, beer, boat rides ... All inclusive ... Sometimes we will be outside sleeping, sometimes in-doors, sometimes in nipa huts ... Accommodations are not always on a high level due to the fact they just are not alot available due to the location we are in but we do try to stay at a few comfortable sites along the way ...

We can talk more on what you'd like to see when you come over and tailor a ride to what you want to experience and one to fit your time slot .... Just send me a PM ...

We'll be refining the route some and I need a part for my Husky (Kelly...), but we are pretty much set on ready now or will be in a couple of weeks for more touring ... I'll just be here exploring in the mean time ...