The Husky F/I FIX

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Tech 3, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    This all started when I first got the bike a 2010 SMR 510,
    the first thing I did was to put my Innovate motorsports LC-1
    air fuel mixture gage on and started to log my A/F ratios
    it wasn't pretty. The next thing I did was to buy a ibeat from Scott at semco
    when I first hooked it up the TPS was off the ibeat came in handy there to be able to correct this problem. The i beat was able to set the CO's up to the point where there were no more flame outs and the bike ran a lot better.I spent all last summer trying to get my A/F ratio's to come in line where i wanted through out the O through wide open range and could never make it happen,no matter what i did i could not get rid of the 1/8 throttle rich spot right where i would cruse around at, I tested right up until the fall and never could make it happen my best settings ended up being CO1 97 CO2 100 CO3 100 and that is where i left off for the winter.
    This year I was ready to try something new so I ordered a JD tuner an installed it,after about 200 miles of ridden and some calls to JD (BINGO) The bike is now set up runs perfect compared to my best efforts be four,now the A/F ratio is a flat line across the board I picked up 10 more miles be four my fuel lite comes on,be four lite came on at 51 to 54 miles now it comes on at 62 miles that is a big plus for me, with the accelerator pump feature the bike will power wheelie in third where be four it would only do it in first and second. pulls much harder all the way up to the point where it gets way too crazy for me to handle at my age, the bike never flattens out just keeps pulling like a Westinghouse locomotive.
    Long story short, The ibeat,JD tuner and a air fuel mixture gage is one way to go.
    The ibeat for setting up the TPS, the JD unite for making changes, and a air fuel gage
    to make sure you aren't guessing at what you are doing.
  2. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Update
    yesterday while commuting i noticed the bike acting a little lethargic
    i looked down at the air fuel gage and noticed i was running way to lean
    when i first set the unite up it was in the 5o's OAT yesterday it was in the Hi
    80's that being said
    I just pulled over set my idle mode up 1 bump
    my green mode up 1 bump and my yellow mode up 1.5 steps
    up and took less than a minute pulled away checked my air fuel gage
    and everything right where i wanted it again
    The JD unite and a air fuel mixture gage is KING
    [IMG]
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Excellent feedback! Thanks! :cheers:
  4. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    Any idea why you were running lean? Presumably you hadn't changed anything, so I'm wondering what could've caused it.
  5. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    I wounder that my self nothing changed weather the same i suspect it could be the
    coolant temp sensor but when i got back to the shop i put it on the ibeat and there was no
    trouble code,SO i will keep my eye on the air fuel ratio and post my findings, But it was nice
    to be able to correct the lean condition right there on the spot with the JD unit.
  6. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I've read on here that there have been some issues with the intake manifold delaminating and causing a lean condition . I personally haven't had this problem but it may be worth a look seeing how you set the unit up in the 50's and it was running lean in the 80's . There has to be a reason why more air is getting into the intake tract, or less gas to the throttle body. one would think....
  7. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Thank you for having this site to share info
    Coffee likes this.
  8. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    you are right on, i looked at the intake boot it is OK I shot carb cleaner on the boot while it was running
    and no change in the RPM's this is my shop bike and it gets used every day in good weather so I will stay on it till I get it figured out,but i really appreciate your feed back,I been a motorcycle mechanic for 45 years and you never stop learning
    and there is no such a thing as too much info in this game every thought helps.
  9. inkmixer Husqvarna
    C Class

Great feedback.
    I am having some popping and even stalling issues with my 2010 510smr. It has less than 1000kms and a bike that nice with so much boot-in-the-pants shouldn't behave that erratically. Staling happens after about 50kms. As soon as i fill up, problem is gone.
    This is what I suspect: gas pump problem. Either clogged near the reserve limit, or something. I will investigate and follow up.
    Also: exhaust tips are quite blackened - meaning running rich. The intake boot is slightly cracked, but that would create the opposite: running lean. SO, a JD nit was on my radar (and wish list). I will purchase and install and will follow up too.

Thanks for the tips and thanx CH for such a great forum!
  10. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Sounds like fuel pump has worked it's way out of the mount mine did that
    replace the cracked boot that will throw everything off
  11. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    The bike kept getting leaner so i pulled the tank moved the wiring and removed the ECU so I
    could see the boot real good and FMR there it was a crack at the top of the boot,new parts on order
    should have the bike back running by mid next week
    Thanks for your feedback that kept coming up in the back of my head until I thought
    tear this thing down and get a good look see
    The saving grace was I was able to see the lean condition with the A/F gage and compensate for it with the JD unit Going down the road
  12. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Tech3 what are your settings on the JD Tuner (pre boot crack)
  13. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Troffer88 The bike is set up like this 2010 SMR 510 with a single exhaust A TE mid pipe and a TXC
    can cut down with the spark arrestor in It makes a difference with the arrestor in with it out it runs leaner
    and the JD unit has to be Bumped up a little to compensate with that said with the arrestor in the JD unit was
    1. mode green-2
    2. mode yellow-1
    3. mode red - 3
    4. mode green blue - 2
    5. mode surge -2
    6. mode Accelerator pump - 4
    Bike ran great like this when I get it fixed I will take the spark arrestor out and dial The JD unit in again
    The bike runs cooler with out the spark arrestor I also ordered a Hi Flo water pump to further cool down
    the engine.
  14. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Up date I had to clean the throttle body today while I'm waiting on parts
    I noticed the intake side was nice and clean but the head side of the throttle body
    was a mess, a lot of crud i thought this cant be good for the sensors in side the throttle
    body, so i pulled the TPS off the throttle body and shot carb cleaner through the holes
    that lead to the sensor unit also ran small brushes through the holes and everything is nice and clean now.FYI I pulled out the idle adjuster screw and the choke knob this was dirty also I did find out that the screw works like this, as you screw it in it lets more air in to the idle circuit as you screw it out it lets less this
    my be useful info for you tuners.
    ALSO this bike from day one has had a diet of only 93 octain shell or sunoco
  15. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Parts came in yesterday I put the bike back tougher and It
    runs perfect again,I left the spark arrestor in,I'm liking the
    quieter sound over the open exhaust must be a age thing
    Two things worth mentioning is
    1. the new replacement intake boot looks to be much stronger than the original
    2. the new Hi Flo water pump is sweet, it cooled the bike down quite
    a bit
  16. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Glad to hear you found the problem .:thumbsup: There is almost always a reason things change that "normally shouldn't", in a direction that makes no sense . I have to wonder why there are so many reports of these things coming apart. The new intake manifold appears to have been changed, I wonder if we all should be changing them out then, with the new and better part. I've heard of quite a few of the 510s having this problem or so it seems.
  17. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    The new part looks a lot more stout for sure, I know now I will check this part out every fall
    I put about 4000 miles a summer on the bike, the manual says to replace every 6000 miles
    mine only made it to 4000
    But thanks again for your post that is what made me go back and take a really good look,
    what threw me off was squirting the carb cleaner on the boot and no rpm change
    but the crack was up top right under the ECU and i did not want to get to crazy with the
    spray that close to the ECU.
  18. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    Did some checking the new boot is the same number as the orginal one
    8000-B0357 part number so it must be the same boot mine was just wore out.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Tech 3, great info and result, thank you for posting that stuff. the JD is cool huh? So liberating "jetting" on the fly.
  20. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    The JD unit it great I could not be happier with the way the bike runs.
    JD him self has a Innovate LC-1 wide band O2 Air Fuel gage that he runs
    on his bikes with his power surge, what a great combo for getting your bike
    spot on. Easy start up hot or cold,better millage, more power.