Trailtech X2 headlight review

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. meletis Husqvarna
    B Class

exactly

all components are from existing lights used already and tested thoroughly in the past

no performance or reliability issues
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep, the 2" IS the MR16. Liability? Hey, once it is in your possession you can mount it to your skatebaord for all I care :D I will shoot pix of the husky graphics soon. They are red and white and look like this (kinda like the CFR one)...

[IMG]
  3. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Liability? Hey, once it is in your possession you can mount it to your skatebaord for all I care :D

:busted:Skateborad! Maybe I'll get 2?
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

what about all black, similar to the 08 TE OEM product?
  5. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Look at those pics above, they are all black. heat gun & peal= black.

Me, I want orange!
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The headlight shells come in white red and black, maybe more colors. I will be over there tomorrow and will get some pix of the final product up.

K
  7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

any updates about this headlight from Trail Tech?
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    such as? Been running 2 of them and will be going to a 24hr race with them this weekend. Work great. Sold quit a few.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Not a big deal at all, don't worry about it.
  12. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

So I was ready to place an order but you only take PayPal? That takes forever to process.
  13. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Off with your head!!!
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Doesn't Pay Pay accept credit cards? That is how I used to do it before opening a Pay Pal account.
  15. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

:thumbsup::cheers: I forgot...I have it set to take $ from my account and that takes 5 days. :doh:
  16. REDOVAL Husqvarna
    A Class

I picked up the Husy X2 setup from Kelly last week and the light is impressive. The intent was to replace the anemic factory headlamp on my 2007 Husky TE510 with something that people will actually see on the street and allow me to ride offroad at night without struggle. I have used trail tech HID products for some time and this light was not a let-down. I did have problems with the factory stator lighting it off. The stator output at the headlight harness shows approx 11.5VAC. When the engine is revved, the stator output drops to about 9VAC at its lowest. I ended up wiring the light directly to the battery using a simple male and female plug for the time being. With the light wired DC to the battery, the stator only very slightly maintains its charge. I rode with both lights on wired to the battery for about one hour and it survived fine. I rode with the light in combination with a trail tech mr11 hemlet mounted HID setup and it was an awesome amount of usable light even at fast trail riding speed. The stock setup was pathetic; in comparison this light is everything you could hope for with a minimal current draw.

I do have a couple of questions regarding the electrical setup:

Kelly, you have this on your 610 wired to the AC setup on your bike correct? Did you use the leads to the stock headlamp setup or did you run your own using the factory switch? I tried that method on the 07 TE510 and had problems lighting off the HIDs.

Would swapping the stator to DC output allow me to run the light using the factory headlamp wiring? I have yet to find out if the DC stator change is a help for these issues or just another way of doing the same thing.

Finally, changing the stator to a higher output model is a viable option as well. Does anyone have specific experience with replacing or upgrading the stator as it applies to the TE models?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for providing this information. I wired the 610 one straight up tot he stock headlight wires / switch. Works great but the 610 puts out over 300 watts. On my TXC450 i upgraded the stator and have no issues. Ran it for hours at the 24 hour race this weekend without issue. Was very impressed with the amount of light. using just the headlight was enough to haul the mail. I need to do more research on the TE models and will be taking one to TT for more information as electricity is not my strong point.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:
  18. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Ah Ha! One of those guys are you? :cheers:
  19. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    What's the story on the 70W halogen version of this light? Anyone using it yet? I'm curious how it would work for the street.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, I have it. The up side it it turns right on and off, no light up time. It is about twice as bright as the stock light but about half as bright as the HID. I run it on my TXC to be seen on the trail and use for getting home if I get caught on the trail at night. For racing the HID gets mounted up.