1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 / 300 Keihin brass; What's in yours?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250

Got a ride in yestarday in some pretty muddy conditions and this set up worked really well. In most places allowing the motor to come up on the pipe hard just caused useless wheel spin, so running in the high gears was a must. It did a great job pulling around like a tractor in the slime and would start hauling with a twist of the throttle. A flick of the clutch really got things going.
  2. WhizzBang24 Husqvarna
    B Class

Hey I read up and am currently running this jetting in my 09 wr250 and it rocks. Im a little skeptical about the fuel economy though which leads to my question. What clip position do you run the needle at? Im currently 48 pilot, 178 main, N3VE needle-middle position on needle, airscrew 1 3/4 turns. I don't think the jetting could be any better but figured I'd confirm. Everything you've said is word for word. Thanks so much...The mikuni is and always will be retired!!!
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Thanks Whizz. Glad to hear it's working out for you, too. I'm running mine in the middle clip also, but with a 175 main.

If I were riding MX I might want it a little sharper, but I'm really liking this set-up. It seems to suit me and the WR just fine.
  4. WhizzBang24 Husqvarna
    B Class

Sorry made a typo. I'm also running a 175. Rode an 09 XCW 250 and the motor had nothing on my 93!! :banghead:
  5. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Did a lot of riding the last few days and I'm very happy with this jetting. Seems a little lean toward the last 1/2 on Friday morning when it was about 40. I could probable get away with bumping the clip down one and a 178 or 180 main.

Saturday it was much warmer, getting up to around 70, so it didn't seem as bad on the top half. I still need to try dropping to the 4th clip and a bigger main, but my bike was so muddy there was no way I was going to start playing with the carb settings.

BTW; Most of my riding is done at around 300' to 700'. I rarely see anything over a 1000'.
  6. Terry B Husqvarna

motorhead are you still running this jetting? Just getting the bike back together after a tear down,everything was in excellent shape.It sure pays to tear down and grease everything only one bad bearing wich was the lower shock.Anyways I have picked one of these needles up and am ready
    to install.wich clip postion are you running now that it's warmer?
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm going to try the 4th clip with the 178 main tomorrow, but it's supposed to be in the mid 70's. From my last ride I'm guessing that it might be a to fat for the temp, but I need to try it.

I'll post back on it tomorrow night.
  8. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Motorhead. Do you know where i can find that article of Seb´s bike? Would be intresting to read it! I also have the PWK in my WR 300 now and i currently use the red needle from JD in second clip from top, 42 pilot, 175 main,7 slide and airscrew 1,5 turns out.Very slight bludder at little throttleopening, very crisp and responsive once you open it more. I live at sealevel and around 50-55F.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It came from a a digital mag, but I'm having trouble remembering the name right now.

I have the JD needles and they work good, but I really like the way this YZ needle works with my WR250's set-up.

To me there's a little more to needle profiles than just perfectly clean jetting. They can alter the power spread the same way a fuel map can alter a EFI bikes power-band.

Think of needles as "hard" fuel maps.
  10. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Found it. It came from MOTOCROSS DIGITAL, but they have suspended publication.
  11. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, that´s nothing to do then. Yes, i know the needle is "mapping the character of the engine. I know this carb isn´t made for streetuse, but i`m curious about how to make it more clean right off throttle. This is noting that matters when you are on the endurotracks or the motocross tracks as you don`t use light ,steady and very small throttleopenings. I tried to change the main to a smaller today, but that didn`t help, so i guess That i need a needle that is even leaner right of throttle, or a slide that has more cut, maybe a 9 or something. I have a 42 pilot in now at 1,5 turns out, but maybe i could try a 40 and see what happens. It`just at maybe 1/8 throttle that there is bludder. Highway bludder you could call it!

Johnny
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Is that with the YZ needle?

Today it was very warm here, near 80F. 48 pilot at 2 turns on the air screw, middle clip-3 and 175 main. I may have been able to go to a 45, but the 48 was working really nice.

The 4th clip / 178 was just too much at this temp. I'd say it would be good for < 55F.

I was loving my bike today. We got into some gnarly single track and I was cruising in 3rd and 4th just off idle. It was so smooth and I could just flow at about two gears than it seemed like I should be, but it was working so well. I was killing the guys I was with and it seemed effortless.

I would think this would work good as a street ride. It LOVES short shifting, so you can be really smooth.

I've also got the suspension figured out, so that was a big plus, too. I'm running way stiffer springs with less low speed than I started with and it's really nice.
  13. WhizzBang24 Husqvarna
    B Class

+ 10 on that... I don't think the jetting could get any better, this motor is unbeatable. These bikes have so much low end it blows my mind. 2 gears high isn't an exaggeration. It starts first kick cold and when warm it's easy as the button. My only question for you is if you've found anything to do about the starting in gear issue. Mine is an 09 250 and it's hit or miss for dead engine starts..I dont think a hydraulic clutch would make a difference, but then again I know minimum. Speaking of that too, I heard magura makes the setup but would it make the clutch pull any easier or is that internally related?? Thanks again for these settings. Maybe husqvarna will read these posts and ask yamaha if they can use a 99 needle...HAHA
  14. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

No, i don`t have that needle. I use the red JD needle in 2nd from top. Very crisp and responsive! Sounds really "metallic" in the pipe on throttle and runs really strong and clean on throttle. It would be intresting to try the Yamaha needle. can you cruise at constant throttle with that without any bludder? Maybe i´m asking too much:excuseme:! If i could get the red needle performance but slightly leaner at throttleopening it would be perfect!
  15. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Cool. Glad to here you are finding the same thing. I'm thinking about trying a 170 or 172 main and maybe a 45 pilot now that getting really hot.

I don't have an answer on the starting in gear. Mine does it sometimes, too. I've had a hydraulic kit on other bike and I don't think it will help this. I got a much lighter pull just switching to a WC clutch lever that has a better leverage ratio.

Sometimes there just seems to be a little drag in the clutch plates, which isn't uncommon for any bike, really. Lighter weight oils seem to help.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    This jetting set up I'm running is super smooth riding around like you would on a dual sport ride. Will it do what you want? That's a $14 question you'll have to answer. :excuseme:
  17. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, besides the slight bludder on the road i´m very satisfyed. For the woods i´d probably lower the needle a clip or two to make it a little less "explosive", but otherwise it´s great. The question is if your needle is leaner straight off the bottom then my red one. If so, that would be worth to try just to evaluate. Jetting is intresting stuff! But the Keihin in itself was a big improvement! Kelly delivered quickly to the Huskyland!:sweden:
  18. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Tried the N3VE today.45 pilot,175 main, clip in every position.It was close in the second clip from top but was still breaking up a little.Put the JD blue back in (3rd position) it cleaned right up.I put a 178 main in also.It's about 52 degrees.I'll try again when it warms up a little.On sunday it was 70,I ran a 48 pilot,178 main,JD blue 3rd clip.It was a little rich down low ,perfect on the needle,and rich up top.I run 50/50 pump and non-oxygenated race gas with the squish set at .045.Have you got any more suggestions?Thanks.
  19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Not sure what to say. Whizz and I are liking the N3VE. I rode it in the mid 80's yestarday and it was fine. I climbed some monsterious hills covered in rocks and loose sandy soil and it crawled right up them.
  20. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

For me, the best result i have had on my 2010 WR300 is :
    178 main
    42 pilot
    Slide #7
    CEL needle in the middle
    Air screw 1 1/2 out.

I will continue to try different setting but my bike works great now.
    The only trouble is response of the motor from idle. I find the response to timid, not strong enough. From the midle to the top, this bike is a real beast. When i rode side to side with my friend KTM 450SX, i beat im REALLY bad. This WR300 definitly is a beast.
    A few year ago my bike was a CR500 97. From the idle to the mid, nothing can touch the CR500, but from mid to top i really think the WR300 is a serious contender to the mighty 500...

If only i can find a way to have more low end on the WR300... Right now, the bike can lug like un champ, he never stall and can climb hill like nothing, the only trouble is the lack of strongness and response in the very low rpm.