1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st 125, 144, 165, 177 You do all know there is a 250 'off the shelf'

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Crocus Paper, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750

Most of these bikes are history, no longer made. The modern 2T 250 with adjustable power valves and developments in exhaust technology can get a power delivery that pretty much covers most of those capacities.

I know 2 people that had 200 KTM's, they were new to the sport, one likes it and is going to keep it, the other bought a 250.
  2. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    Well you know best, as well as your two friends.
    454x, surfingboyo and JRod4928 like this.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Do you have a Provini power valve adjuster on your WR250?
    454x likes this.
  4. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Yes, they're no longer made because racing classes dictated the size of the bikes. They became the most popular bikes, so it no longer became economical for the manufacturers to keep offering these intermediates. Companies like KTM are bringing those back to life because they recognize that these intermediate bike sizes are in demand.

KTM200's aren't even good examples for this convo because their power delivery is not similar to a 125 or a 250, so it's an intermediate when it comes to engine size, but the behavior of the bike is not in the same ballpark as the 125/250's we know. IMO it's a different animal completely. But at the moment, it's the only "off the shelf" intermediate bike size available, so I see why it's used in this conversation.

I personally researched this for a long time because I nearly bought a KTM200, but I decided against it because I wanted the power curve of a weak 250, but with a mid-top like a 125, then I heard about the 165, and the search was over. I wouldn't own a husky if it wasn't for that.

I should add that the 2004 KTM 200SX is probably ideal for me (but it's too old), as it really was a motocross bike. But since then, they've been taken a different direction by KTM and now they have a mid range power curve with virtually no top
  5. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    I had a 2000 model year KTM 200EXC. It had adequate low end, strong mid range, and insane top end pull. It would loop out on you if you weren't careful when whacking throttle full open. JD jet kit was only mod. I weigh 260 lbs. I have read that the earlier versions were stronger motors than what the newer ones ride like.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I know several people who have ridden and competed in events on 250s and 300s for years, who all decided that they liked the ease of handling handling, and power of smaller bikes. They all downsized to KTM 200s, or bought KTM 150s and bumped the engine size on them. None of these people are likely to want to ride the larger platform bikes anymore.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I have ridden the older KTM 200s. Didn't like the power delivery. The bikes felt like a larger displacement 125, demanding to be revved all the time, whereas my KDXs felt like small displacement 250s, liking to loaf around in the lower part of the powerband.
    Matthew Howard likes this.
  8. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I'm not sure of the exact year, but at some point in the history of the KTM 200, KTM decided to take the bike away from a mid-top MX style power delivery and replaced it with a mid range power curve that lends itself to trail riding. Sounds like your EXC came from that older generation. I'd like to hear from some others who've ridden a few of those 200's

I'd love to ride one of those older KTM's!
  9. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]

Here's my '98 200exc. She did just fine against modern 250's and 300's last year!

Motor is flat out awesome in the woods!

[IMG]

Came of this Gasgas EC250. Great bike too. I'm simply faster on the 200!
  10. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

Ha ha. I had a 00 200EXC KTM and a 04 250EC GasGas. The 200EXC had a much livelier motor than the 250EC but not as good as my WR300.:naughty:
  12. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.

Now take the crankshaft from that 250 and hold it in your hand. Weigh it. Measure the diameter of the crankwheels. Now do the same with a Husky 125, 144, 165, and 177 crank (all same for practical purposes, 177 slightly different). That's pretty much where the answer lies. And your 250 anything will never handle as well or feel as light and flickable as a result. It's a handling thing. The small crank of a 165/177 maintains the handling advantage, while the added displacement brings the power down the RPM scale and closer to a 250's sheer output. Different people want and excel with different setups. Your 250 isn't best for everyone.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep
    JRod4928 likes this.
  14. andymarriner450 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr 150
    I'm fifty next year I've riding bike since I was ten I've raced mx For 25 years and that was on all different makes of 250s two stroke of course had a little venture in to super moto for two years on a 450 honda man that was a expensive couple of seasons I then decided to do Enduro and hare and hounds on a Ktm 250 2 stroke after two seasons I found a husky wr 143 for a very good price so snapped it up and all I can say is what a difference after two hours I'm still in control yes I still crash but I'm still in some form of control I LOVE MY LITTLE HUSKY GENUINE STATMENT best bike I've ever rode yes there's problems but when you sort them out they rip and I can't what for the weekends
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A local shop owner's son is the kid that ran over the Ninja nut. On the 125,144,165 and 177 you really have to ride one to understand just how great they are and how different they are from any 250 bike. Oh.... it really should be a Husky too :D:applause:. It's a handling thing. Thanks Walt :applause:.
  16. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
  17. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    I saw where one of the previous posters had said "woods ninja" and that's what came to mind. I saw this video on youtube about a year ago and thought I'd post it. Evidently the fellow thinks he's a ninja or something and every time I watch the video I still laugh.
  18. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

GhostRider32 that is a VCHSS race were that guy (nobody knows who he is) was as you saw just hiding out under the leaves and got ran over. He was seen earlier in the day on the course in regular cloths acting a little strange but nobody ever talked to him. They did call a local sheriff and he checked the local hospital to see if anyone showed up with rib/back injuries. His identity is still unknown. A local bike shops son is the kid that ran over him. I talked to him and he said it scared the crap out of him :eek:. They call him the Ninja!
  19. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not to beat a dead horse, but Shane Watts just took 12th overall last weekend at round 1 of the national enduro. Any guess on which bike? 300...no. 250...nope. just a beginner's 200! And, he's over 40!

Sorry to rub it in Crocus :-)
    troy deck likes this.
  20. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hahaha old guys rule:applause:
    john01 and trailboss like this.