1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st About the Mikuni/Keihin swap:

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Johnnymannen, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Can't hurt to try it. :thumbsup: Make sure the slide is tight.
  2. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks !
    I will send you the needles tomorrow :cheers:

I appreciate all help and info from all peoples here (even if my english is really bad :doh:) so if i can
    help anybody here its a pleasure for me.
  3. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

If you have the carb for free its ok to try, but in my opinion (after messing 3 weeks and have removed the carb at least 25 time...for good result) the best you can do is ordering the carb from Motosportz, just install it and ride it...:cool:
    With a price that low for a new carb + JD jetting, its a no brainer for me:thumbsup:
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Motosapiens,

Unfortunately the parts list for the 04 250 sx is a 36 mm-s ag. They are identical except for bore size. Ktm seemed to flip back and forth from 38 to 36 to 38 for many of their models. The 36 will give you better response but cost you some top as expected. I almost bought one off that model that was also cheap until I did a little research to make sure of size.

When I was last in Boise, I was running 45 pilot, CEL needle in the center slot, 165 main and a #7 slide in my WR 250 and it ran exceptional. I have the same jetting in my WR360 in a 39mm pwk and it runs great everywhere and I have had it as low as 2500' and as high as 9500'.

Remember that the -s ag model PWK is the same dimension as the new TMXX and if you have the old TMX it will be too short to fit.

Here are some pics of this type of PWK airstriker.

Walt

Attached Files:

5. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

mine works pretty well already. starting when hot could be a bit easier, but no real complaints, so I just want to make sure it's really an improvement over the mikuni, rather than just a closer starting point to the right jetting. And i do already have the carb in a box. If it works i'll order a shiny new one from kelly just because who knows how worn the needle jet is on a used carb, and sometimes the slides do wear out and start chipping, etc....
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the PWK that came stock on my KX500 was worn out. Made it real hard to start and also would not idle or run right off the bottom. You could see obvious wear on the slide.
  7. sean Husqvarna
    B Class

Im seriously thinking of buying one of these off you, will it make that much difference?? my'n run pretty well?
  8. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

the ktm parts fiche appears to show it as a 38mm for the sx and 36 for the exc, but maybe i'm reading it wrong. it's certainly a different carb than the 36mm ones on my gf's 250 xcw's.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    For the 125 absolutely. For the 250 less so but my buddies 07 WR250 does run a lot better off the bottom and gets better mileage.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Motosapiens,

Those parts fiches are easy to click on the wrong model the way they jump on my puter when I don't want to let the page load completely. Of course I probably have the slowest connection speed on CH. So I completely understand my misreading which was which. I do know that the 05 SX has the 38 for a fact and it works identically to the standard PWK airstriker except for the bolt on top. :excuseme::banghead: I have now purchased an even half dozen used pwk's in the last few years and have yet to encounter one that was worn beyond working tolerances. I do make sure I have good picks of the parts and explode them before I purchase. But I must sound like a broken record that I still think it is a better deal in the long run to buy the Kit from Kelly for the 125's to get the built in JD needles and the new carb. For the larger bores that aren't as finicky as the 125 the standard Keihin needles work well.

Walt
  11. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

swapped the CEK for the CEL , HRC 630 and Wallybean were dead on . Tightened the bottom right up.
  12. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Cool ! :thumbsup:
    Troffer88, just for fun have you try a drag race beetween your WR300 and your Aprilia 450. Last week me and my freind have made many drag on pavement with some dirt bike (KTM 530 09, CRF450 04, KTM 300 xc-w, KTM 450sx 06, XR650R 02) and my WR300 have never loose :applause: All people that was there are really surprise by the outright power of my Husky. Nobody have ever seen a Husky and they are really impressed by the quality and performance of my WR. I think this bike can make a holeshot in every categories.
  13. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeh I have have, It is the Aprilia it has a bunch of work done to it. But in stock form the WR was faster to about 55 mph
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I should probably ride the Aprilia for you once in a while to keep it loose and so it does not feel left out. :D
  15. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

When ever you want to Kelly
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    heading over now :D
  17. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

really, 2nd clip from top? That seems like it would be too lean to even run. My other bikes seem to like clip 4 or 5 (towards the bottom) which should be equivalent to clips 2 and 3 in the CCL.
  18. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

second from the top
  19. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

It seems like you can go very lean on the needle, especially when you ride really gnarly stuff. I currently use the red JD needle in 2nd from the top and i even foul plugs sometimes. I will go to first clip pos. until i get the needle from the kind man HRC 630!

Johnny:sweden:
  20. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes, this is the setting that work the best for me. The bike run also very good with the clip on the middle but the response is more mellow.