1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st About the Mikuni/Keihin swap:

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Johnnymannen, Mar 27, 2010.

1. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

cel is a couple clips leaner than a jd or similar needle. cel in 2nd clip is more like jd needle in the 0th clip (if there was another slot above the first one).

interesting tho. I assume y'all have done a plug chop or something to verify the main jet is in the ballpark.
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sounds good to me! I have a 460 main and 40 pilot 2 turns out and it´s slightly lean on idle, but smooth right from the bottom but starts to bludder as the revs rise a little. I don,think a 460 main is lean at 50-55F degrees.

Johnny
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've put the needle in the #2 clip (from the top) since I bought the bike. This with with the Mikuni and Keihin carbs. I also run the #2 clip on my YZ and KX, both of which have PWK 38's.

I tried the CEK needle over the weekend and it runs like a raped ape in the mid and top, but I was having some issues in the lower pull. 175/45/CEK #2 was too rich down low, but perfect in the mid and top. This is with the PC pipe/silencer.

On another note, I pulled my reed cage and used 2 gaskets to seal it back up (one between the cage and motor and another between the cage and carb boot) and the bike was definitely richer, so its safe to say I previously had an air leak.

I'm really starting to see the potential of this motor and its scary fast! I'm going to have some head work done shortly and see what a compression bump and some squish tightening does to is. Unreal motor :notworthy:
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

PC,

When I was working with these needles in my WR250, I found that the CEK worked better with the 42 pilot and the CEL worked well with the 45 pilot. The only difference between these needles is the CEL is slightly larger at the base.

Just what worked for me,
    Walt
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thank you!
    I'm going to try the 42 next.

The mid and top are just incredible. Now I just need the low throttle opening to match, since I spend most of my time there.

Thanks again for the needle. She's stupid fast :thumbsup:
  6. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My bike was running just like you discribed, CEL took care of it . I did a few plug chops and looks great. 42 p, CEL #2, 172 main, carb divider plate, Head Mod.
  7. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

Well, durn. I cleaned up the carb off my 2004 250sx, which is a 38mm pwk, and the dimensions are exactly the same as the mikuni, so it popped right into my 2009 wr300, but...... the front left corner of the carb touches one of the screws holding the reed block in, AND the petcock jams right up against the carb and kinks the fuel line closed. so no el worko. I wonder if there is some subtle difference between that carb and the one everyone else is using.

I do know that on my 250sx, the carb had to be removed to change main or pilot, because it wouldn't rotate hardly at all without hitting the bottom of the carb on the top of the engine, whereas later model ktm's seem to be able rotate the carb and change jets in place.

Just for verification, are the jd carbs from kelly free of any interference like I experienced?
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    The carb I bought from Service Honda from a 2000 CR250 fits perfect. No interference on anything.
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The carb off your Ktm which is the same as the one I mounted on my WR144 is the same dimension as the Mikuni TMXX. The difference is that on the PWK ag the float bowl sits farther forward. Comparing all three carbs side by side both the mikuni and the standard PWK have the float bowl in approximately the same place and the AG model has the float bowl about 1/2" farther forward. Not an issue on the WR125 but obviously is an issue on the WR300.

Walt
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Motosapiens,

At the very least you can sell that AG model to one of the 09 and later WR125 folks on here. Add a JD needle kit to it and you are good to go. Although the KTM triple taper needle isn't bad at all.

Walt
  11. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

this thread is worthless without pictures, either of your carb, or of one of the jd/motosportz ones mounted on a 250/300. :applause:

I thought about trying a different petcock or turning mine around, but then i figured that was getting to be too much work for what was supposed to just be a test run before buying a new carb from kelly.

I probably will just sell my carb to a 125 owner that wants a cheap solution.
  12. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Here is a couple from Kelly's 125...
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Later,
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I'll get you a picture when I'm out measuring the gas tank bolt for you. Is there anything else you want while I'm out there? :D
  14. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

How about a beer. Oregon has a pretty awesome selection of small breweries. :cheers:

So it looks like the jd carb is the screw-top one. That would probably explain why it fits different. Mine is the annoying 2-allen-bolt lid. I took a pic of mine, but pedaled to work today and didn't bring the camera with me.
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Oregon is a beer lovers paradise. No doubt!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

My other bikes also have the 2-bolt top PWK's instead of the screw on type. They also have throttle positioning sensors.
    Does the one that came of your KTM have TPS?
  16. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

No tps on the 2004. Not sure what the deal is. I suppose it's possible I didn't have the tank on straight, it sure looks like there's plenty of room between carb and petcock on yours.
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Here is a comparison of the three carbs. In the one overhead shot you can really see the difference in carb length. In the last pic you can see the different shape of the float bowl on the PWK AG.

Walt

Attached Files:

18. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    PWK day for me...took about 15 minutes to install, super simple. First kick it started, I adjusted the idle a bit and went riding.

Its every bit as awesome as Kelly says...its crisp, and smooth, it sounds so good. I was pretty much able to ride below the power valve all afternoon other than the odd hill climb. Im more than impressed. It feels how the bike should have come from the factory.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

heres the only crappy iphone pic of the day on one of the trails called "the line"

[IMG]
  19. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

that trail looks like fun.

what bike? 125?
  20. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Ya sorry 09 wr125!

:busted: