Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    And Im pretty sure that BMW does use that twin engine in various displacements. I used to own one in an F800.....so his comment on them not wanting it back seemed a bit odd.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'll stand corrected, thanks for the clarification.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Here is the second part of the interview speaking more about Husky...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    giantjoe, Desertyucca and 454x like this.
  4. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    :popcorn:COOL........
  5. 4eyes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R5
    "So Husqvarna will remain a separate company, and the brand will stay alive- that is the most important thing."
    I couldn't agree more! :banana:
    The reunification of Husqvarna and Husaberg sounds like a win too!:applause:
    :popcorn:
  6. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    After reading this news story, I just don't get it. Why would he criticize BMW/Husky for having the exact same marketing strategy as KTM in producing both off road, on road and adventure/touring bikes. Why is it a good strategy for KTM to do this but not Husky? I think BMW were heading in the right direction with their marketing strategy, but what happened in the BMW board room is that they obviously looked at the bottom line and realized that it would take a few more years to recover their investment and for the global economy to recover. They then choked and decided to bail out at any cost. This would probably have more to do with board room politics than any sound business planning. I think SP got onto a deal that he could not refuse. BMW must have been willing to dump their investment at any cost and cut their losses. SP would have purchased the whole deal for a song and also get to take out an emerging competitor. What is it they say about being lucky? - The intersection of opportunity and preparedness. Now he is trying to figure out what to do next. SP strategy for Husky? - there isn't one, just make it up as you go along. Its just a shame that the Nuda, Terra and other BMW derivatives will disappear.
    ntbhusky likes this.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    ....so we are back to what was said in the original interview - what is the plan for MOSS support for the thousands of TR650s that were sold?

(it is a rhetorical question, I would like that to be addressed by Stephan at some point)
    ntbhusky likes this.
  8. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sure is a shame. But from a business standpoint I can understand. With anything there is of course some (winging it) that must take place. Lets just pray for a few things! Made still in Italy. Use of Italian engines. Suspension options(forget WP, I would spend $750 more for ZOKE CC 48's and and Ohlins shock! Seperate frames and the REAL stuff that seperates Husky's from KTM's and by the way SP if your cool at all throw that 6-speed back in the WR 250!!! And put a larger clear tank on it and lower the seat height a bit for short guys like me!!
    panhandlebars likes this.
  9. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    bear in mind magazine interviews are done a couple months or so before the publication. Online interviews (that aren't done by a magazine) are likely to be more current.
    Motosportz likes this.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I tried for 2 years to get a set of the new red 48mm Zokes Worked with Peado himself direct from the Factory
    I said I would pay any price but in the end no deal I AM SO GLAD I SPENT THE MONEY to purchase a set of
    OHLINS forks and shock from David at FBI My 300 is perfect.
    Now the new Beta come with the red zokes I saw them at the races this weeken I still would not change my Husky for a Beta
    My stock tank will go 50 miles at race speed but clear would be nice Stock gearing got me 87 mph but a 6 speed would also be nice What ever they build it will have to be really special to beat how my bike works now
  11. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds like you got er dialed! SWEET!! You must admit those red ZOKES ARE SWEET!! My Gas Gas has 48's and from everyone they say they are sweet! I just do not want the same KTM suspension and of course no PDS!!
  12. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I hate walking. But I´d much rather do that than ride a bike made by someone called Kronreif & Trunkenpolz in a place called Mattighofen. And exactly what happened to Trunkenpolz in 1989? I think we should be told! And I don´t like the colour orange either (even though my aunty came from Londonderry). For me, good bikes come from either the UK or Italy. Nowhere else! And ideally, they should be BLACK.
  13. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I can't see the production leaving Italy for now (and maybe years to come). BMW sorted the manufacturing facility out and there is only 50-55 people building bikes on the floor... thats lean manufacturing. Might get a little leaner with some common parts imported but they will still be Italian built Husqvarna's with R&D coming from Kronreif & Trunkenpolz in a place called Mattighofen.

I just hope the "all new" 250 & 450 4T MX and enduro bikes are derived from the X-lite platform and not a KTM platform.
  14. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Maybe BMW took a leaf from the KTM book and focused on their partnership with TVS to produce cheap street bikes in India for emerging markets. Husqvarna would have simply become unimportant for them.
  15. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Here's some wild speculation.... :popcorn:

1. There will be more dealers offering both Husky's and Berg's in 2014
    2. Husaberg will be produced in Italy in 2015
    3. The first DI 2 Stroke will be in a Berg in 2015-16
    4. Stefan Pierer's "common platform strategy" eg. Bajaj/KTM/Husky street bikes for emerging markets will be paying big profits by 2017

More popcorn please
    4eyes and Motosportz like this.
  16. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    I really respect the fact that he mentioned 2 times and realizes that not everyone wants to ride an orange bike. That's pretty cool coming from the boss man. Very interested in seeing the new 2 strokes now!
  17. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I think alot of that interview is older news. In more recent interviews the plan is to keep the Nuda and TR lines going well into 2014. This could just be talk to help sell the last of the Nuda and Tr's, but I believe with the success of the Terra/Strada line that production will keep going. Also to the people that think the new owners will not be able to keep suppling engines for the TR and Nuda, Pierer has stated he offered the 900cc twin back to BMW for future use. I take that as a sign Husky still has the rights to the TR and Nuda engines. Maybe they will use different FI management, but I think the TR/Nuda Models will remain in production. The TR could easily be half of Husky's sales in 2013, especially if people remain confident that parts/bikes will be available into the future!
  18. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    If you have ever been to the Philippines, it is impossible not to notice that it runs on cheap, small displacement motorbikes, most of them with the word "Honda" written on them.
  19. hahmule Husqvarna
    A Class

OK hahmule feels better, coming out his funk... Looks like Huskies won't be rebadged KTM's after all.
    4eyes likes this.
  20. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yeah I caught that too. I sure hope he sticks to that.