Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I dont know about everyone's dealer neck of the woods....but good close word says that our local dealer was visited this week by the top tier HMFIC of the new KTM- Husky group/division/segment or whatever it will be. Word said feeling was a good one.
    BILLF likes this.
  2. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    I HAVE ALOT OF SYMPATHY for anyone loosing a job, but Mv Agusta couldnt keep them employed kept going bankrupt,BMW was loosing money?Someone has to make Husqvarna profitable to survive,a Mitsubishi plant closed 1 mile from here 3 years ago and 350 people ,most friends and customers who moved away to find jobs.Its a bad deal but SP,owns it and making choices to keep it alive and profitable.
  3. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    I'm starting to see Husqvarna "Ride More" advertising everywhere. I have a feeling Husqvarna motorcycles are going to get very popular again.:cool:
  4. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310
    Recombining Husaberg and Husqvarna is a good thing in my opinion.
    4eyes and WoodsChick like this.
  5. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I believe that SP, being a racing dirt bike kinda guy, that understands the history of racing, does not want to be known as "The guy that killed Husqvarna". It maybe some wishful thinking, I still kinda hope the scenario with him selling KTM off to Bajaj & running with Husky to the front of the pack plays out.....
    4eyes, Dirtdame and PBM457 like this.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I guess what I would like to see is the Husky/Husaberg combination to build unique bikes/test bed from and for KTM. If they have to share components, I understand that but please let them turn and handle at least close to what we are used to with the late model 125's/x-lites. I expect them to cost more and that is going to be an issue for many, but as Bill states, if they don't make money they will fail just like what we are seeing right now. It is not like the low prices sold 100,000 bikes. Ktm does sell the crap out of $8000+ dirt bikes. I will continue to watch and learn with the rest of you. I might not buy a new Husky but I will still support our really good dealers like Bill's, Hall's, Motoxotica, Wilmington Powersports, Upstate Cycle, and all the other great dealers that I have left out.
    510 SM SC, BILLF, water racer and 2 others like this.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'm sure that was money spent trying to develop a street bike line and the turd 449/511 platform, not to mention a new factory and new North American sales center. The bikes that where there when they bought it from Cagiva have been the back bone of the line. IMO, their looses were all BMW management blunderings and assets that take time to see returns on.
    huskyduck, MotoXotica and Xcuvator like this.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  9. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

For sure agree with you. BMW although trying to build what they wanted to build just not really the right contender for that particular mission.
    MOTORHEAD likes this.
  10. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I really wouldn't panic just yet! I will assure you at least in my own mind. If this doesn't work out. The Italians will find and investor and go their own direction. SP is not stupid. A cloaned KTM/Husky makes no sense at all and keeping them separate may be better off for him down the road as well. A few shared componets sure. With suspension options thrown in. Sure. 21 Husky's is impressive! I need to sit down and figure out how many I have had and yes I also bought a Husky 50 for my son back around 01 or 02 or so! I say we all be very positive until the stake is driven. And then wait and see the spinoff of what goes down if this happens!
  11. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

12. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    I for one am Heading over to my local Husky Dealer (Goldcoast) to see what kinda of deal I can get on a 13 I may even buy 2 or 3. I don't care what models they have,I can find a use for any one of them or all of them for the reduced price may as well stock up. I was about to buy a Gas Gas but with the discount I may be able to get 2 Huskys. As for the future....I think I'll be good for a few years anyway. So rejoice my friends lets ride.
    Mike-AK likes this.
  13. NYCMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 TE310R,13 Strada,
    Other Motorcycles:
    1977 Rm125,78 Rm125, 80 RM125...KTM
    BTW I was gonna buy a Gas Gas and have Montesa graphics made up for it,kinda looks like a modern Montesa. Whats in a name anyway.These new Huskys are really Two-stroke CAGIVA'S and the four strokes are mostly BMW's. I have no problem with that and had a great time racing my 1988 CAGIVA WMX 250 back in 1988, unfortunatly the 2013 WR 250 is mostly still the same bike. But I just may buy one anyway If there is any left.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Most of those losses were the decision to build their new factory stuff and reinvent the parts distribution system and take over distribution in several countries because they thought they could do it better. It took years for them to surpass the small crew that ran husqvarna USA and they took over distribution in several other countries as well. The losses from motorcycle production were a small piece of this and could have been avoided by listening to dealers and customers telling them what we wanted. I sat in a meeting with the BMW husky execs shortly after the take over (with several top dealers) and requests were made for things like bigger fuel tanks, putting the 6 speed transmission back in the WR 250/300 ( they already had this ) and wide ratio transmissions in the 250/310/450/510. They chose instead to go off in tangents and dump millions of dollars that realistically did nothing for production.
  15. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Isn't everything that BMW built, but the TR's, 449/511 and Nuda's really CAGIVA?
  16. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Correct
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I've posted before... Husky became wrong sized! When it was first part of Cagiva, there were.... Ducati, Cagiva and Husqvarna. These made for a viable company, with a broad range of bikes. In '97 Cagiva sells off Ducati and the company gets smaller. They buy MV Agusta, but the first bike is a few years away and just the exclusive F4. This can hardly replace the extensive Ducati line up... 750 Monster to 916. When the agreement to use Ducati engines in big Cagivas runs out in '00, they switch to Suzuki engines, but can't import them to certain markets, so Cagiva gets smaller. At this time the EU minimal licensing for scooters is still in effect, so small displacement Cagivas don't sell as well as scooters.... Cagiva's share gets smaller. MV starts to add models, but it's still top shelf, limited numbers.

Finally Husky is sold to BMW... It's really just a small dirt bike builder, with too much staff and infrastructure, because it was part of what once was a big company, but everyone still treats it like a big company. It only builds one tenth the bikes KTM does! BMW should have thought small and then grown in steps, but a big corporate entity can't do that well.

Husky is just not big enough at this point to be a stand alone company, with the staff and infrastructure it presently has. This applies in the US distribution too....
  18. dcg141 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My idea for the first new bike. Make the current 350 a 390 and install an autoclutch. Make the new body work unique and replicate the look of the old Husqvarna aluminum tank. A 390 auto...bet it would be a homerun.
  19. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    and bring back the 360
    Blair7 and ohmygewd like this.
  20. curly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    `12 WR300
    i`m really keen to order a high comp head for my wr300 but i`m really concerned it will get lost in the system or there won`t be anyone at head office to chuck it and the bits in the daily shipment