Actual news on the KTM purchase of Husqvarna

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Howard V, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ntbhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC 250
    We still feel sick about the takeover, hope that your government will make SP pay for his arrogance. Wishing the workforce well.
    4eyes and surfer1100 like this.
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes! Very much so! And screw KTM´s Pierer. There´s sure to be another Italian dirt bike when my Husky packs it in and I´ll not be party to whatever´s going on in Austria.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  3. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Got a ? about HUSKY GEAR, didn't want to start another thread. Do ya think the apparel stuff will be closeout priced also or will they just dispose of it. Been thinking about getting what I can now so when the next version of stuff comes out(2014?) I can still proudly wear the pre-KTM gear..... :D
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    While we all get indignant about this turn of events, let's remember.... 25 years ago 400 people lost their jobs in Sweden, when Cagiva moved Husqvarna to Italy. There are still people who won't ride a Husky, because of that.......
    4eyes, 454x, bhab and 3 others like this.
  5. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    I know a more then a few people that feel that way.
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Was it really that many?
  7. Dano540 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE 450 & 2008 TXC 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 Yamaha FZ1
    Im actually pretty excited about the idea of having a Husky hard parts store. Maybe we can all buy Husqvarna toasters
    giantjoe likes this.
  8. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Oh, look what I found.

Attached Files:

454x and silverpilen like this.
  9. PeterHB Husqvarna
    AA Class

It´s not entirely true. Husqvarna AB began building Husqvarna lawn mower in the factory where they built motorcycles.
  10. PeterHB Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think I need to puke :thumbsdown:
  11. silverpilen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450, 2005 TC450, 2013 TE250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    Don't forget, the italian motorcyle industry thrives on small subcontractors. The manufacturers are essentially engineers/designers and assemblers, most of the components are farmed out to a myriad of smaller sub contractors, even frame tubes and forming and sometimes welding are outsourced. Checkout the Megafactory documentary for both MV-Augusta and Ducati to see what I mean. This is how Italy can remain efficient and competitive against cheaper Japanese and Taiwan/Chinese bikes and still maintain style and quality. The loss of jobs for the Husky factory workers is the tip of the ice berg, the knock on effect to others is significant if SP decides to dump Italy all together and move production to Austria/India. As far as KTM/Husaberg goes, the only Italian products I can think of is the Domino throttle tube, I don't even think they use Acerbis plastics anymore? It sounds like SP want Husky will to go the same way. No wonder the Italians are pi$$ed.
  12. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, you are absolutely right on that.:thumbsup:
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Spent a little time working on a friends KTM today. All I am going to say is if this is what I have to look forward too then I won't buy one. Have done some engine work in the past and scratched my head a bit but todays experience was a jaw dropper.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Brembo brakes on all KTM models and also hydraulics for clutches on all except 125/150/200's, which still use Magura. KTM is super into vertical integration, they even build their own 2T expansion chambers.
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Walt,
    Tell us the details....
  16. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    :popcorn:
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Hi Norman,

I am not going into details but I was just stunned with the cheesy parts and under engineered parts. I know that many of us are used to the over engineered bullet proof Husky 2T's and if this is the direction they are going then I am bailing. KTM's are premium priced bikes...I guess that is how you make money by saving on the little things that bite the regular guy in the ass after the new is worn off.
    4eyes and huskybear like this.
  18. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, I'd have to say that's a good way to put it. The new seems to ware off rather quickly and you're basically in need of a new bike.
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    As a former owner of a KTM, I would say that that is true. Like little wood screw looking thingies that screwed directly into my gas tank to hold the shrouds on, cruddy subframe that cracked right away, cracked exhaust, leaky engine gaskets, blown shock seal, broken light switch and on and on getting nickled and dimed.:excuseme: No problems of that sort with either my Kawasakis or my Husqvarnas.
    panhandlebars likes this.
  20. bhab Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300, TC449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 2.9, KTM 200 XC-W

I wish you would share your observations, I have owned several KTMs and I've not found this to be true. Mine have been very easy to work on highly adjustable and well laid out. I try to stay out of the orange/red (or blue and yellow) debates, but your opinion is highly valued around here and I'd honestly like to know your thoughts.
    Picklito, shawbagga and 454x like this.