Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by cedarchopper, Jan 16, 2013.

1. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    Hammer you are 100% correct and my emails show I was simply trying to resolve an issue and tried handling it without an attorney and simply wanted it fixed. Now with the behavior and response from BMW's Staff, I feel like I have no other option then to let my attorney pursue it, if for no more than the principle of it. It is very easy to provide customer service and assistance. Having been a long time KTM rider, I can tell you this type of treatment is unimaginable. Our local series have long relationships with KTM and if a rider was missing an award or a prizes they jumped in whether dealer or company. But then you cannot get a KTM frame with a VIN and there is where problem lies. BMW knew these bikes were going to be dumped on the public and did not and possible encouraged it to take place. Most folks aka Bill's took care of the VINS, the install and told customers what they were getting. That is what good people do !

Mine on other hand was sold to me as a new bike, not a parts bike. The ads and emails show just that. Best one is the setting the bikes were shot in, huge trailers with BMW and Husqvarana logos all over them. All communications went to BMWNA email accounts and phone numbers that are answered BMW. But this person was able to get bikes, no vin numbers, advertise and sell from their company lines of communications, and then after they say no bikes were sold without VINs at Husqvarna, sends an email again from BMW telling me that my bike he presented and sold to me as new has no VIN, no paperwork, and was sold as parts only. But had he told me this when we bought bike would have walked away, but we are still waiting on the paperwork he assured us he would mail> Yeah, I wasn't mad until now
  2. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Oh, so you bought this through a BMW / Husky Rep Directly?!?!?!?!? I must of missed that before...

Wow.....
  3. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I got one of those recalled 09 cr125's rebuilt on a wr125 frame from Husky Italy. They sent the replacement frame with no VIN and Bill added a plate to the frame containing the VIN. It's all legit though and I have the title.
    Motosportz and jmetteer like this.
  4. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    PC that is what I was trying to do and even talked to Bill about how he handled them. The problem is that BMW NA will not assist me at all in getting any information at all and have no basically told me it is not their problem. I have tried for weeks with them and am simply resolved to the fact that it is going to require an attorney.

The ad where I find my bike was very simple. It stated that 3- 2009 CR 125s - New Bikes and had a price, with an email and telephone number that took you to BMW NA Representative. I even sent them copies and emails, which they have ignored and tried to distance themselves from. There was an ebay ad and even one on another website, proclaiming the units as new and never was this parts bike idea ever mention. It is ok, because it will get resolved, one way or another.
  5. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm glad it sounds like your going to hold them accountable for this instead of sweeping it under the rug. The rep needs to re-design his business ethics...
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I would think that you could get a salvage title a lot cheaper than what an attorney will charge for 1 hour of their time.

FYI Colorado does not title off road only bikes so if you would have bought the bike from someone in CO you would have only got a bill of sale which could then be used to get a title in your state.
  7. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    Doug, you are probably right, but it is about principles now and standing behind one's word. Might be a Texas thing, but I would have never got into this deal if I had been told the truth. Still a great bike, just bad deal filled with lies!
  8. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Makes ya want to give him a Texas size wuppin'! :applause:
    Xcuvator likes this.
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
  10. JSK73 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB144
    I own a sibling bike.

It took me a while to figure out the front forks for sure but what I was thinking when I bought mine was the exact opposite. I was thinking "Yay, a bike without a VIN, so when the government takes over we might still have some non track-able tactical vehicles available.

Thanks for screwing that all up Texan, says the Mississippian.
    jmetteer likes this.
  11. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Its interesting that there is such a range of responses. I've had nothing but good experiences. They even put my pic in the Ride More magazine (that scored brownie points for sure).

Contacted Husqvarna about getting MSO for former race bike. Got it (went through a few people and took a while, but got it).
    Contacted Husqvarna because my race series was added to contingency mid-year unknowingly. They let me in and gave me bucks for the qualified events.
    Contacted Husvarna about a parts concern and got a call from the national aftersales guy.

However, this whole selling blank frame bikes seems very shady all around! Hope you get it all worked out, because this sure is a crummy first experience with a brand.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That sucks. The Dealer misrepresented the bikes. Some of these were sold correctly like Bills did. I'm sure lots of people in Corona know all about this right now. The dealer should be held accountable and get you a vin and paperwork. Why are you not calling out the dealer at this point? Your pissed as you should be and need to let us all know so we can all apply pressure on your behalf. Some of us have contacts that might help. Keep us posted on progress and let us help. As for moving back to KTM do it. Nothing speaks louder than that. These are toys, if your not feeling the love let it be known and speak with your pocketbook so this does not happen again. I love the brand and have a great lacal dealer but if that went south I would just buy another brand. Lots of great bikes out there. Sorry this happened to you.

Oh, in the future NEVER leave with a new bike without all the paperwork and VIN checked MSO to bike. Bills was the customer around the bikes, tells you what you need to know, paperwork in hand and checks the VIN with you and then you sign off. That's the way it should always be. I get full coverage on ALL my bikes and you have to have a VIN. I would never leave a dealership without all my paperwork and the correct bike VIN, that's the minimum. If they can't provide that I not buy a bike.
    Lonfish likes this.
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Its been a few years since I bought it, but to the best of my recollection the VIN number on my new frame was the same VIN number from the recalled 09 cr125 frame. So....there should be a vacant 09cr125 VIN floating around from your recalled frame.

I dont think they need to recreate the paperwork.... they just need to recreate the frame to match the ppwk that came with the bike when it was imported. Not sure if this info helps or not, but maybe the seller doesn't understand this and doesn't want to deal with creating a new VIN (state police, DMV, fees, etc...)

This truly does suck and I'd be pissed too. Hope you can get this sorted and enjoy the bike.
    jmetteer likes this.
  14. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    I asked the same question above... Sounds like he bought it DIRECTLY from a HVNA rep...
  15. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The problem here is the rep did this not a dealer. It is compounded by the fact that he did several units. The VIN from the destroyed frame should have been transferred and it wasn't. Unfortunately there is no way to know what VIN should be his and randomly assigning one of those VINs could end up in fraud and loss of licenses if that VIN was given to another customer. The only guy that can really start to fix this is the guy that sold the bike, anyone else is guessing and gambling with their license unfortunately.
  16. JSK73 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB144
    But he'd already done that at the beginning of the transaction. I mentioned before that I have a sibling bike. I feel like I got a SMOKING deal on a brand new left-over bike.
  17. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have read all of this for days now and have a question Do you like the bike?Do you want to keep it if you had a title?Forget about the dealer part do you feel you got a good
    deal? Do you still want to fight and do a lot of work trying to get the dealer to conform?
    Would you be happy if you had a title ?If the answer is yes then it is easy to get a legal title on your bike even wth out a vin on the fram IF you have a paper trail stating where and how you got the bike
    I own a wrecking yard and a used car lot and deal with the calf DMV everyday for over 20 years you can only try and think of all the work we do to title cars.Once you know how to do it the legal way it s no problem You are in texas so I do not know there rules but n cailf we could get you alegal title just have to do the proper paperwork
    Start by talking to some one in the know from the texas dmv or better yet any good independent texas title company shoud help you
    You should beable to have a asigned vin like in calif we call it blue taged and then have a new title issused There are so many ways to do it
    Do not waset money on legal help unless some one else will repay you it is just a bike Like i said go to a lien sale company or any good dealer or even a wrecking yard n texas you will be suprise once you talk to some one in the know how easy a legal title is Let me know how it works out John
    MikeB, pvduke, lankydoug and 3 others like this.
  18. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    John,

Getting a salvage title would not be a big issue if that was what I was told from day one, it was not. In fact had I been told, that no paper work or VIN existed I would have never bought the bike. That is the simple truth.
  19. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You should not have to get a salvage WHYsalvage? Start by asking someone in Texas who does title work If we can do it in calif you should be able to do it there
  20. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    First off I agree this was a back-doored shady deal spun by a sleazy salesman (whatever his title is he's a lame sleaze). That being said....

You bought a bike that had NO vin stamped on the headtube. You bear some responsibility. This should have been a major red-flag but you probably got a smoking deal upfront and you CHOSE to go ahead on the shady deal with a promise and a handshake. I've got news for ya, there's LIARS everywhere, everyday, and you'll find more of them trying to sell you something than anywhere. There were ignored indicators right up front.

So, you can spend a boatload of money to basically say "See I'm right you're wrong". If that's what you need to be happy, go ahead. Otherwise just handle it and get a title like Ajax said. Of course BMWNA is distancing themselves from this. I gaurantee they have more lawyers with better experience than your guy, they have already determined they are not liable. So what's the point in stomping around and spending needless money NOT fixing the problem. The only money you should spend is to get it VIN'd/titled. You chose to by a discounted bike that had no vin on the frame, period. You were lied to. Disclose this dbag's name then get yourself a title and be done with it. You DO know his name, I hope?