Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by cedarchopper, Jan 16, 2013.

1. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    Actually Marc, I paid exactly what the bike was going for at dealers at the time and got no better of a deal than anyone else was getting at the time accept I got a couple of beanies, a jersey, and only had to drive across Houston to pick of the bike at a Cancer Benefit sponsored by BMW.

I admit, I did not check the VIN because in all honesty, why would I, I was told I was picking up, a new unit and had no idea that is was anything other than that. Plus to be honest, I have never seen a frame without a VIN, I'm guessing that is a Husqvarna thing because that is simply the industry standard. But again, the rep communicated a number of things, just none mentioned "no VIN, no title, or no paperwork". But again, the bike was setting in garage as we had the motor and suspension done, collected parts and to wait for others to be built.Only when my insurance agent wanted to update policy did we ever notice there was no VIN and that is simply the truth.

As for the issue of liability, I can only hope their attorneys take a position that they have no liability or responsibility to a unit they produced, imported, shipped, sold, and delivered to me, while never leaving the chain of custody of their employees or agents. If you think they can distance themselves for that by the suggestion of some in-house counsel, they should seek better counsel because they will result in summary judgement and case law is pretty clear in areas of deceptive trade and fraud.

The easiest manner to resolve this was to simply mate the original VIN to the new frame. Then all paperwork and everything matched, that was how these units were supposed to have been handled. That was why I contacted them and tried to get their assistance. They refused to help at all. Now, I am simply passing it off to someone who won't be as nice as I tried to be.
    john01 likes this.
  2. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    "while never leaving the chain of custody of their employees or agents" I'd like to hear the stuttering when that question comes up. Red face via the hot seat?
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I am done I tried
    TROFFER88 likes this.
  4. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    I do appreciate your idea John, but the simple fact is that I would have never bought the bike had I been told it had no VIN or subsequent paperwork. Even with that I tried to correct it the right way. Nothing against the bike, its great The situation has simply tarnished it a bit!!!
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    What does the guy your actually got it from say?
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    forgive me if i missed this but did you ever bring the bike back and confront them on the no VIN issue and ask for a stamping, new docs or substitution of collateral? dont see that here.

if you paid for docs and title well- they owe ya same! take it back and gitter done!

if not and if the frame has no vin the dealer should be able to add same and file it with the DMV, at your expence of course.

if the old frame was junked w/o a record they may be able to use the engine # as the VIN.
    just cuz the frame has no VIN dont mean it cant have one and you cant have a propper title. either way its a very simple hurdle and i cant begin to imagine why they'd fold their arms and say get lost.

like ajaxauto said, if we can do it here in soCal it can be done anywhere- you aint lived til you dealt with our dmv.

i suggest taking it back to the seller and speaking to the 'dealer principal' (owner) in person in a civil tone w/o the lawyer-speak, not the sales team, again- the dealer principal face to face to get the ball rolling.

why? cuz after all's said and done, all yer moneys gone to the mouthpiece and the "hear say" (punitive is REAL hard to prove in this case) is brought to bare in court, you'll just end up going back down to the dealer anyways for a vin stamping and paperwork re-filing or a substitution of collateral.

its a dealer paperwork issue that originated and will be cleared up there at the 'franchise' and i'm pretty dern sure HVNA/BMW will say the same thing- that they are not liable for the franchise's booboo's. and they aint. no matter what was 'said or signed'.

in either case, more flys with honey, and i'd use the dealer to get it rolling and cleared up as their paperwork and contacts through the dmv will carry a lot of weight.
    if they do send ya packing well that means a bridge got burned somewhere and they got your signature on file on an "as is" doc. end of dealio there man.

if that's the case? take yer ride to the dmv and get it registered yourself per their directions and ajax's suggestion (which ends up meaning going back to a dealer for a head stamping then a sign-off by the C.H.P. here). if its half as easy as it is here you'll be done in a day at the most.

hang in there, take the high road and make it happen face to face.
  7. JSK73 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB144
    I went back and read an earlier post and I seem to have come off harsh, didn't mean to. I feel bad for you cedar I really do. I didn't think to ask or really worry about a VIN # either. I noticed mine didn't have one on the frame a few weeks after I bought it. But I'd been thinking about picking up a 125 to keep for a long time and wasn't planning to insure it so I didn't have a beef. I can see how you would be frustrated.

When I noticed it missing from the frame I looked around the engine case and I does have a stamped number/letter sequence from what I recall. Not sure if it matches the original frame's # though.
  8. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    It will all work out in time one way or the other.

I tried the sugar approach by simply asking to track the motor to the VIN and rebuilding the paperwork from there. That was denied and no reason was even given beyond not our problem.

But it is still a fun bike! And in the end that makes the taste less bitter !!
  9. cedarchopper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR 165
    JSK, no worries You should no when I called you and encouraged you to buy yours I was in the dark about these issues. But, it is a good bike, just wish we had been told the truth from start!
  10. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01&02WR360_02WR250_02CR250_12WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Does the rep you bought it from still work for BMW/Husqvarna?
    You didn't buy through a dealer, correct?
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    ok. this is getting weird. 13 mos ago??? i've read this 6 times and it makes no sense, sorry.

who's THEY? was this a PP sale or an actual Husky dealer sale? sounds like a private party sale to me.

look- if you've had this thing 13 mos???? did i even read that right? if so?

fughetaboutit! yer done! he's/they/them are gone!

move on.

take it down to the DMV, tell them the deal like ajaxauto said and get some paperwork going so you can register it etc. if it aint hot
    10 bucks says they'll, or a bike dealer, can headstamp it and then your HP can sign off on it post-inspect and then you can get reg's.

if THEY (obv not a Husqvarna dealer) took your money and sent ya packin' with no papers? call the cops and CYA! but be prepared to forefit the bike as evidence. and answer that fatal: "why'd ya wait so long?".

i also strongly advise against you going legal with the whole lawyer and "principal thing" w/o airtight proof THEY boned you. oh he'll take your case, and your $$ too! but save it for tires. lesson learned.

register it yerself or move on. WAY too much water's gone under that bridge.
  12. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Please go away I can not stand looking at this total waste of time and space on this sight And before I go away one more time WHEN DID I EVER SAY SALVAGE

Just because Ajax is a wrecking yard along with many other things do you keep saying SALVAGE

and while we are speaking of Ajax any one need a car or truck part please give me a call With over 2,600 cars and trucks all with DMV title work done and certified by DMV for sale either complet on in parts Now back to more important things like how to jet a bike
    TROFFER88 likes this.
  13. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you read these posts. I for one think he is doing the right thing. If some rep from a company did this to me I would put the screws to them also.
    cedarchopper likes this.
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Cedar, was the state tax paid? That might be another issue.
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Well you posted it here. You should give all the info so we can help apply pressure (do it to key people via PM if you are uncomfortable for some reason). If your not going to be forthcoming maybe something else is fishy in this deal. Most people after 13 months and being shafted might be yelling it from the rooftops after feeling lied to and then ignored. You posted a "Buyer Beware" but are not telling to to beware of nor letting us know how to really help you. Something is not 100% here. Have you contacted your rep? Dealers? If you really bought it completely legit there should have been a lot of ownership paperwork, some of which should show some VIN or it never happened. Just to much weird here. Where did you get it, from whom, with what paperwork, were the taxes paid? Was it ever registered anywhere? Confusing.
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    not an attorney per say....but i did stay at a holiday inn last night! :banana:

i also deal with contracts and deals all day long for a large maker. yer prolly driving one.

stop with the salavge title. it's/was a new bike. it aint been written off by an under-writer.
    you need a NEW REGISTERED OWNER title.

and what "value" are we speaking of? it's a freakin dirt bike. it has no residule value. unless you paid cash it's not even collateral.

dood- you bought a bike private party, or from a "rep", or from Slim Shady M/C Works.
    whatever.
    that's like buying TV's from a van while the dood wears a Sony shirt.
    my money says this was NOT a dealer floor stock sale.
    others here, and in the states, got theirs new from dealer floor stock with a stock # and a VIN.

you aired your over 1-year old "deal" on the CH Board while bashing the dealer and HVNA/BMW. what did you expect? total koom-bye-yah?

[[[[[ we also gave you some advice and ideas based on our experience on how to get your title. it's really not that hard. ]]]]]

if you feel like someone boned you over a year ago? go gettum. knock yerself out. pride and principal will empty your pockets fast.

im also telling you w/ 100% certainty that unless you got air tight proof and docs showing irrefuteable proof that THEY, whomever that is, bamboozled you? you aint got a case. PERIOD.
    he-said she-said? that's hear-say, emails and ad's? big deal.
    HVNA/BMW already told you it aint their baby. so whom do you sue now? the salesman/REP?
    the burden on proof is on YOU to prove the malfesance as the litigant. and it better be REAL juicy after 12 mos. later or the judge will bounce that docket so fast ya wont even get to speak if the min burden of proof aint been met.

seriously- ya waited over a year to make this an issue? have you touched or used the bike at all? the judge will ask you those two things and a whole lot more.

he'll also tell ya in that time you could have had your title and this whole thing resolved and worn out two top ends and a dozen tires.

best of luck to ya on whatever you decide.
    TROFFER88 likes this.
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Dear Husky friends, Buyer beware!! I want to warn you about a guy that I think dealt me dirty but I'm not going to say his name. The end. :lol::busted::excuseme:
  18. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    'One year ago'
    lankydoug likes this.
  19. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    While you guys are hating, I'd love to hear the outcome cedar. Please post when you know more. As with everything, some people will agree, and some will disagree. Do what YOU feel is right, and update us!

Might as well throw my opinion out there. Neglect on both sides, more-so on HVNA if all above is correct
    john01 and LandofMotards like this.
  20. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know the Rep (I see him once or twice a year at a dealer and or a Enduro) and that he used a New frame with NEW components from the original bike. So the bike was NEW but a salvage model because of the frame update. Did you pay full retail or a used bike price ? He should have explained about the new frame and the lack of paperwork and why. For many riders that would not be a major problem. A lot of bikes don't have Titles and without a title a bill of sale is all that is needed to resell. Honestly, is this worth the hassel ? I don't think his intent was to cheat anyone but to provide someone a good bike at a dirt cheap price. He can't provide a title if there was no original paperwork because of the bikes salvage status.