EJK

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Biff Malibu, Jul 1, 2014.

1. megatiker75 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZX6R 2001
    You can take pictures of the connector and the attack on the ECU?
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    The EJK acts as a middleman between the ECU and the injector, so there is no direct connection to the ECU.

L'EJK si collega tra l'iniettore e la centralina, e modifica al volo i parametri della miscela. Non si collega alla centralina nella modalità solitamente usata dai chip mod.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

does not attach to the ECU it goes in line to the injector. It reads the pulse and then modifies it based on your settings.

[IMG]
    PaulC and Jon Knutson like this.
  4. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I finally decided that this is the best solution for the lean stumble problem so I went ahead and ordered one. I live in Italy and when I queried Dobeck Performance a the Dutch distributor (Jeroen van der Meer) contacted me, providing me will all the info needed to proceed with the order. In the end I paid €215 shipped via registered mail, which I find very competitively priced, especially compared to the PCV. Although it'll take at least 10 days to receive it, as the model has been back-ordered, I will gladly provide my feedback once I have it installed.
    mag00 likes this.
  5. Biff Malibu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRE 500, 2003 Harley Deuce.
    Hi Ferrari
    Looking forward to hearing your feed back. I am still happy with mine.
    Cheers
  6. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I'm thinking about it more and more. My 08 SMR has the power up kit that deletes the O2 sensor. My Aprilia didn't have O2 closed loop either. Both ran great! I've already removed the catalytic converters from my Strada. I don't see any reason why it should have any problems. Especially since we got good people here who have already tried it :)
  7. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Have you received your EJK? I'm curious about the results and if you disconnected the O2 sensor per the instructions.
  8. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Unfortunately the EJK has not been shipped yet, so it's going to take a while before I'll be able to get it. I'll let you know as soon as I've it installed.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  10. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Not to be a downer, but I don't see one for out our bikes (or our BMW siblings) from either Lexx or Pro-X.

...I'm keeping an eye on this as I'm really considering biting the bullet and ordering one before my trip in a month, hesitant to drop the money, but I guess Ramen noodles don't taste so bad...
  11. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Here is a little food for thought.
    If you disconnect the Oxy. sensor with the piggyback fuelers which should keep the system in open loop wouldn't using a spoofer like the Eruption Mod with the O2 unhooked have a like effect or does the system go closed loop by coolant temp??
  12. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    In any case the EJK or the Prox (not familiar with this one) is still a spoofer. It simply changes the 02 sensor readings to the ECU to show the need for additional fuel.

They and the AF-XIED device all do this. For instance if the bike predetermined map is set at an AFR of 14.1 (or 14 fuel to 1 air) you can set the the EJK or AF-XIED to approximate an AFR (as sensed at the O2 probe) to 14.3

This in turn is communicated to the ECU and it kicks up the Air Fuel mixture to the throttle body.

This can't be "learned" by the ECU as the ECU always sampling for the best AFR for the engine to operate at given the conditions (hot, wet, dry, cool, elevation) . It doesn't try to reset to the stock fuel map because the 02 sensor is telling it that it needs more fuel because of the environmental conditions so that is what it does.

Still you can't make the optimum AFR with these units. Instead they provide an approximate target for the ECU to compensate to.

If you want to go to exact AFR targeting at all throttle positions you need to install something like an LC2 which requires a data logging program and strapping your laptop down to the seat for a ride or two. The LC2 is made by Innovate Motorsports and works with a program called LogWorks3. You can google these and for the record I am not associated with any of them.

The data log lets you see what the actual AFR readings are and then lets you target the AFR at each given throttle position and engine load by reprograming the LC2. It is still a spoofer and does the same thing as the AF-XIED and I expect the EJK. However, it does it more precisely. You can program the fuel mixture by either Lambda or by AFR. It is a lot more complicated than I have stated so google it and read.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LC-2_Manual.pdf

http://logworks3.software.informer.com/
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

I have a Lexx on order. As long as it plugs in, it should be good to go. I'll tune it on the dyno. According to youtube vids, dnyno is not needed. I will post results. I have a tentative dyno scheduled for next week. Hope parts make it in time.

If these work as stated, it will be a better solution than the afxied, booster, eruption, unless you are into carbon fouling your engine. You can set the different zones on these EJK, Lex and others, without having the enrich the complete throttle range. AT $169 average price, the Lexx is a pretty decent value. I may check on their silencers, I paid 2 bones for my Scorpion, and if these Lexx silencers are decent, it is a good price.

You will lose the auto tune or learning on the TR650, boo hoo. If you need it for altitude, just plug the o2 back in for that time.
  14. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Remember not to fuss too much over the actual AFR number. Give the engine what it wants. What makes the the most power is what the engine wants. Even if your AFR is 10:1....if that produces the highest HP result let 'er rip!

drzcharlie, I wanted to "modify" your statement about the XiED and EJK. They work quite differently. The XiED accepts the O2 signal (in mV) and reduces it accordingly. It sends the reduced mV reading to the ECU thus "cheating" the ECU to enrich the mixture via target O2 window.

The EJK takes the PWM (pulse-width modulation) injector signal from the ECU and extends the injector hold-open time. It adds milliseconds to the already calculated pulse width the ECU desires. That's why the EJK in question needs the O2 sensor unplugged. If you left the O2 plugged in, the ECU would send a signal to the injector, the EJK would extend it. Then the O2 sensor would provide feedback and the ECU would look-up the target O2 window see that it's rich and reduce the pulse width rendering the EJK's efforts useless.

The primary issue is the O2 target window is painfully lean. I've experienced lean misfires under certain conditions on the highway! With the dual-ignition coil setup that's surprising. The ignition system should be capable of igniting a cloud of coffee creamer. I have no idea how these engines don't burn up from being so lean.
    PaulC and Motosportz like this.
  15. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    In other news....I ordered and EJK from Dobeck Performance. I will post results as soon as I humanly possible.

This is me right now....
    [IMG]
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm going for good strong running. I do not need max power, (Homer joke). This bike has way more power than I need.

But much of it is hard to use with snatchy throttle and flat spots. I do not mind it detuned slightly if it performs when asked.

The TR uses a narrow band o2, also known as a switching o2. It is heated.

Hey Charlie, Have you done any real world driving tests with the o2 unplugged? No spoofers at all, just running the default open map?
  17. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I did, it ran like dog crap.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bear with me here but in my opinion disconnecting the 02 sensor is a serious shortcoming of the EJK. Why? First when missing an 02 the BMW ECU's go into a sort of "Limp Home Fueling Pattern" This means the EJK has to add extra fuel for the same result. It also eliminates the ability of the ECU to adapt to fuel differences (think alcohol fuel), wear, fuel pressure variations, sensor wear et al.

Second, the EJK adds features which the BMW ECU's already have. The already add a lot of fuel when you turn the throttle and at higher RPM/TPS. When you boost the baseline with an AF-XIED, fuel gets added everywhere. Most Dyno Operators measure mixture incorrectly. Leading companies like Dynojet and Dobeck to believe our bikes are leaner than they are (not they aren't lean). At WOT I am running 6% richer or an AFR of about 12:1 which is plenty rich.

Harley XIEDS change bias amplitude, that is not how the AF-XIED for BMW's works. These units constantly monitor the o2 sensor, process it and output a lambda-shifed, full scale signal. In the end the EJK switches out the o@ during times when it is lengthening pulses. This is a very basic approach that wrestles with the ECU. Its primary benefit (IMHO) is for those who want to think about fueling in carburetor terms, hence the name "Electronic Jet Kit" or EJK. This ok but (IMHO) it doesn't address how a modern FI ECU functions.
    engineerk9 and V8Astro like this.
  19. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think we can both agree there is no "magic bullet" solution available yet. It sounds like you are satisfied with the XIED. Which may be the more "correct" solution. I'm picky when it comes to tuning. The EJK will allow me a little control over where I want fueling changes. I don't really like deleting the O2 for the reasons you mentioned. But I've had two EFI bikes that did not have lamda feedback. Both of which ran great. I currently still own a SMR510 which has the Husky supplied power-up kit which included removing the O2 sensor. It's a trade off though. I'll get my tuneability at the expense of reliability (maybe?)
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I run the JD tuner on my TE511 with the o2 disconnected. Works fantastic, EZ to tune, zero issues and seems to be fine with altitude and temp changes.