FLAMEOUT and the '08 EFI

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by MOTORHEAD, Oct 12, 2008.

1. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Seymore - Are you running with the brass plug in your pipe, where the Lambda would of been? If so one could surmise that the FB1 setting is still used with the connector in (race map mode). What is your WOT setting?
  2. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes I have the brass plug installed and the race connector plugged in. I also welded in a second port for using a wideband O2 data logger when I was still using the stock O2 sensor.

FB1 has more of a effect with the race connector installed. Think of FB1 as fuel map offset that will either increase or decrease the AFR.

There appears to be significant variation from bike to bike that causes the same FB1 setting to deliver a different AFR.

My WOT value is very close to 100.2%.
  3. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Seymore - is it possible to use the stock port in the exh pipe for a Wide band 02 with data logger ness? If so where would I get such an animal?
  4. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

So if I was to set my FB1 in the low 90's, what other method's could I use verify I'm not running too lean?
  5. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

these are the settings for the early 450/510 vin bikes, do yourself a HUGE favour though, get your dealer to upload the latest software into your ECU, you`ll be surprised & very happy with the results. It`s a new bike allover.

Attached Files:

6. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

dags - any idea what kind of MPG your pulling down on single track riding?
  7. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

Early settings with 14/53 Gearing, best was 30MPG, normal was 24 hard riding

Later settings (as above) 46 & 33
  8. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

You can use the stock sensor port.
    I use a Innovate LM-1 with RPM and TPS input that reads 10-20:1 AFR. It logs samples 12 times per second, so you get a clear picture of whats happening. The only reason I added the 2nd port was to do test with the stock O2 connected. After thinking about the likelihood of damaging the O2 sensor from thermal shock from getting water in the pipe from water crossing, I decided it would be best to just run without any type of O2 sensor. Cars and street bikes have better sealed exhaust and are not as likely to be used as a submarine.

You can find the LM-1 kits on ebay, I also have a extra one I would be willing to sell, it's just like new. PM me if your interested.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=lm-1+innovate&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=lm-1&_osacat=0
  9. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been getting 36mpg on technical single track and 53mpg on fire roads. With the 3gal tank I would feel comfortable planning a 100mile single track loop.
  10. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

just do v2, you`ll be happy :thumbsup:

only certain dealers can make the vsn changes
    Vsn 1, early bikes had the FB1 & TPS bulletin for change
    Vsn 2, Software upload - cleans the midrange, top end & economy.
    if your local guys don`t have it, send the ECU to one that does, they`ll put it in a bike & upload, then when it comes back you`ll just need to hook up to normal iBEAT & re-set the TPS to your bike. The FB will be unchanged.

The 09 software will be programmable, not a switch as some think, it will be via the ECU & software, possible it will only remain in-house with IMPORTER to prevent larry leadfoots changing the curves & putting Husky`s up there with CRF Valve failures. Won`t be avail for some time yet.
    Or you could just order an 09 ECU, but the horsepower & economy against the 08 is unknown at this stage (none in the country for testing yet)
  11. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Alright, who can I send my ECU to?
  12. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

can up-tite or Halls help you. (you in the states) ??
  13. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have not heard of any one state side have the new maps yet, but I'll give em a call.
  14. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I will back up Dags call to upgrade to the 09 fuel mapping, 110 klm & I topped up with 6 ltrs, leaving 1.2 ltr in the tank after 110 klm.
    A huge difference, runs a lot cleaner, crisper, easier to start & way less stalling also, the pipe runs spotless. Best "Bang for my bucks" I've spent yet. A different bike.
  15. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Hi Motorhead,

Are you having this problem when you are getting low on fuel?
    If so make sure the fuel pump is seated correctly in the plastic housing & secure it with cable ties to prevent it moving again. I have experienced this & so have a few others & it's an easy fix.
  16. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    That happened to me also, have it fixed now, but still have some issues with stalling. It's much better, but still not great.
  17. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I think I've got it narrowed down to "low fuel pressure" shutting down the engine. Hard braking, big down hills, anything that causes the fuel to slosh forward in the tank. I think the fuel pressure drops enough to get the ECU to shut the system down.

Now, how do you fix it?

Tanks foam, baffles ?
  18. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

Prime Volume – (Pick up fully submersed) 70.82ml
    Prime Volume – (First sign of low fuel level around pick-up) 38ml
    On a flat surface the fuel drops below absolute pick up point with 2612.4ml of fuel in tank after 4587.6ml (approx 60%) has been used
    Fully primed pump allows engine to idle for 7 Minutes (tested at 1,750 RPM)
    Remaining fuel in tank after “ran out of fuel” 300ml (this is after pump ran dry so the 300ml is dead fuel)

Amount of fuel required to prime pump after “running out” 200ml (added to the remaining 300ml = 500ml from dead empty tank & dry pump)

because it`s not a return to tank system air in the line will lean it out only - not stop it as quickly as a return to tank or externally pressure regulated system, as it`s not as crucial to constant absolute volume after the pump.
    I ran it totally dry - the pump was empty & all that was left in the tank was exactly 300ml, you could shake it around & use that up too if you had too.

All tests on a flat surface.

The advantage of a system like this is that it only needs enough fuel to around the pick up intermittently to run the bike, because the pump will give up to 7 minutes (corrected down depending on RPM etc) & that is plenty of time for splashing fuel to be picked up. However, like any bike, don`t let it run that dry, it`s really no different to a carby system & you can extract all but 300ml of fuel, not many are actually that good

Low fuel Light came on with 1900ml remaining in tank, so that`s 700ml after the pick up started drawing air, but again remember this is on a flat surface, so riding would allow fuel surge & keep fuel being picked up and that means it still has 1600ml until it totally runs out, = reserve of 1.6lts
    Purely for specs & you can draw your own conclusions, but i`m happy that the system used is capable of running efficiently & makes good use of the allowable volume of fuel without adverse harm on the pump or engine, sure a 100% submersed pump is always the best, so unless you want to cut the tank up & fit a swirl pot or an external can be comfortable that this system is pretty efficient in doing what needs to be done.

Depending on your riding style, gearing & tune, do your mpg & you can work out how long you`ve got after low light comes on. BTW the light is triggered by fuel level, not drop of pressure as someone had asked me once before.
    Here are the measured fuel pressure & 8 minute drop also.

1.Max Pressure - Running
    2.Pressure Drop after 8 minutes

Attached Files:

19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Then how come I can do a stoppie with 2/3 tank of fuel and the motor shuts off ?

Try your test in a fast harescrambles and get back with me. I don't sit and idle for 8 minutes at a time.
  20. bendbiker Husqvarna
    B Class

Too rich O2 plug and spark screen

Attached are photos of the overly rich EFI map due to Power Up kit. I thought this would help those who have the TE 08 problems. This bike only has 900 miles or 45hrs. You can image the inside of the head is already carboned up on a near new bike. So besides the problems of stalling or studdering, there is this hidden cancer growing!

On a side note: The spark arrestor screen (Arrow exhaust) is plugging also, but it seem small for a 450 trying to evacuate exhaust gases. Does someone make a screen with 3 or 4 times the surface area?

View attachment 267

View attachment 268

Attached Files: