Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll concur with Life in Sepia, I had an absolutely fantastic time. Just the right amount of planning, not too tightly scheduled, did not feel like work.

Thanks, again, to George...who refused to take any money for his tweaking, wrenching and advice. He said, "keep it, you'll need it it Baja"

It was a pleasure riding with Mike, he took us on a route that I'd never be able to have orchestrated. I really enjoyed being in very lightly traveled places. Places where the village residents are full of waves, smiles (& requests for wheelies). I had brought some stickers, moto branded pencils to pass out, but they fell off out of my broken zippered bag, hopefully some kids will find em.

Stellar scenery, a few difficult sections, but just the right amount of challenge for my lame skills.

I originally feared riding at night, and still do, but was able to relish the the more desolate, challenging side of night riding. Of course, I took it pretty damn slow, due to cows, burros, & potential unseen changes in the road....lots of these. Sorry to hold the group up at times.

I'll send my photos to xymotic so he can pick & choose for the ride report.

I'll also do an ride equipment/review post: quick note; Vibranators saved my hands, at least 20-40% reduction in vibes on my 510. Highly recommended. No not as smooth as a drz400, but my hands are not numb after a week of riding. They used to be toast after an hour.

As good as the riding & scenery was, the true "gold" of the trip was meeting & spending time with everyone: Gary, John, PJ, Aaron, Mike, Ed, Clayton...and my friend Zack the driver & provider of grand, if not G rated, comedy.

"It's all good":)
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Glad all had a safe and great time, and it all came off well. R
  3. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

Hola from Los Barriles,

Zak and I are trying to change plans a bit and get a hold of Mike, not having much luck with the cell number we have. We're trying to contact his hotel directly, but the hotel name I have doesn't seem to exist in the phone book, the concierge couldn't find it, and I haven't had any luck online. I have a room number but I need the phone number for the hotel. If anyone has this can you PM the info. Thanks

Look what I found in the garage over here. Needs a bit of work. I'll do a bit more digging and see what all is needed to revive this beast. George probably has the parts lying around somewhere. :thinking:

Attached Files:

4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    This should be the info on Mike's Hotel.

U.S. Reservations Office
    224 Avenida Del Mar, Suite D
    San Clemente, CA 92672
    Toll free: 800-365-7613
    Phone: 949-498-3223
    Fax: 949-498-6300

Costa Azul Adventure Resort
    KM 118 Highway 200
    Amapas Y Las Palmas
    San Francisco, Nayarit

Email:
    reservations@costaazul.com

For weddings contact:
    weddings@costaazul.com
  5. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

/

I spoke to mike at his hotel yesterday, but I forgot to pick up a card from the front desk. It's a magnificent place, I guess us yokels ain't sposed to figure out how to get there:thumbsup:

Anyhow I'll see if I can get some info manana
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Nice to hear everyone made it to Cabo safely :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about you guys a lot, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wishing like hell that I was there with you all. Maybe next year:)

Have fun in Cabo, and have a safe return trip!

I'm really looking forward to more photos and stories as soon as y'all are settled:)

WoodsChick
  7. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some of the stories really are not suitable for publication here:thumbsup: what happens in Cabo is pretty dang funny but should stay in Cabo:lol:

Sushi leads to Saki which leads to Tequila which... well leads to very bad things.:lol:
  8. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Well, as long as it doesn't lead to Women in Love where Alan Bates and Oliver Reed were constantly wrestling naked.....:eek:
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Seems to me like that would be an improvement to what actually happened...:lol::busted:

I mean wrestling is just wrestling no matter how naked you get. Other, worser things happened naked in Cabo.;)
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
  11. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Oh boy, Do we really want to know?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Awesome!!! More pix please. :thumbsup:
  13. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

Still trying to sort out some hosting stuff, lots of pics, and I can't really do my post productions stuff without my desktop. I'm on a borrowed laptop ATM. Here are some nightime tasters. The rest should be up within a week.

The "CH" = "Cafe Husky" courtesy of Xymotic and his headlamp. 60sec exposure, other is 30 sec. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

14. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

When I woke up the next morning I discovered the first carnage to my bike. I still don't understand how, but somehow I cracked the casting on the fork where the fork guard attaches.
    [IMG]

THat first day the we were all very diligent in looking at and fixing our bikes...
    Mike Kay & 610
    [IMG]

SepticSkeptic & 610
    [IMG]

BentAero & his 310 (note the Kolpin fuel tank for later
    [IMG]

Lifeinsepia (510 I think)
    [IMG]

THe hotel we stayed at was pretty decent, $70 split in 2 or sometmes 3 ways wasn't too bad.
    [IMG]

Forgot to mention After a checkpoint the group took off but I flagged down Mike and stopped him, JCH4 saw us take off but didn't see us stop so he slid to a stop to avoid crashing into us. Sorry for that dude!
    Anyway, the next day I snuck a stealth photo of JCH4's road rash from the incident...
    [IMG]

Got a little reminder of the season.
    [IMG]

We had a decent breakfast at the hotel, I had my normal order of Huevos Rancheros
    [IMG]

I dunno what happened between these guys the night before, but Septic Skeptic is suddenly happily out of the closet, and Lifeinsepia is ashamed, very ashamed.
    [IMG]

Eventually we hit the road. And had a pretty good run through some sandy whoops. No pix cuz it was fast and scary.
    the road was pretty whooped out so we haded back twoards the water, and Mike wanted to check out his old house so we headed to the beach.
    [IMG]

The sand on the beach was surprisingly much deeper than the sand we'd been in til that point and I thought that stuff was pretty deep. the sand was full of shell too.
    [IMG]

Me, Yossarian, Mike and SepticSkeptic got way out in front.
    [IMG]

We waited a while and eventually Mike decided to turn around and go back for the others.
    [IMG]

As soon as he turned 'round the others came around the corner.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Mike looked back asking if we should proceed or turn back. I thought WTF and gave him a thumbs up.
    [IMG]

After he went I realized the tide was high and he timed it pretty perfectly to follow the swell of water and not get wet.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Yossarian opted for the go around but got a little stuck going up hill
    [IMG]

Me and SepticSkeptic were the only ones who followed Mike into the Sea of Cortez. My wave timing was, um, not good.
    I got quite wet and darned near wiped out on a big rock at the end. Eventually though the three of us made it to the other side and I was looking forward to a little more beach riding. But only a few of the others found us again on the beach, and it turned out some of the guys we done with the deep sand so we hit the road for Gonzaga.
    [IMG]

Even though I knew they were there and what to expect I had some exciting moments on the Vados (dips) in the road to Puertocitos. I caught some pretty good air a couple of times.

Gas at Puertocitos was open and we gassed up. We were sposed to meet the chase truck there, but couldn't find him so we drove around a bit looking for him. THe Pemex guy said he saw the truck/trailer go through 15 or 20 min before us.
    So we hit the road and went toward Gonzaga
    [IMG]
  15. brokebackzack Husqvarna
    C Class

Trip 2 the Tip

Hola compadres,

Just wanted to say what a blast I had meeting you guys and going through your bags; I initially scoffed at all of your 'protections' but who knew how much you needed them (I think 'Alexia' was her name). The week went by so fast; guess that's how it goes when having feliz. Mike's gunna pick me up tomorrow at 6:30am and then we're off non-stop to the USA with a mess o' bikes and memories. Fantastic food, even better company- can't wait until next time. -Zack (Pemex 6287).
  16. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Zack seemed like a nice guy, friendly enough...

Next thing I knew he was shaving my leg and things got a little dodgy after that.
    [IMG]

Zack definitely ruff-eed this poor guy.:lol:
    [IMG]

Also, here's some muy importante insider Baja Info you may need to know some day... how to wipe your butt with only one sheet of tp. Vid from norcalslowpoke

http://ontheboat.net/gallery2/v/motorcycling/rides/baja-trip_to_the_tip/CIMG2196.AVI
  17. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Mr. Zack! You were a star, and chase truck driver extraordinaire. I admire your people skills; tactfully dealing with exhausted and cranky riders is no easy task. A huge thanks to you for doing everything well and with a great attitude. Looking forward to seeing you in Marin.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Um...is it just me or does Zack sort of look like a wild man??

:D

WoodsChick
  19. JCH4 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks to everyone for a great trip. Especially to Mike for going above and beyond in going through with the trip and leading us through Baja and showing us a part of Mexico he knows well. He really gave his time, knowledge, and patience. Great rider and good man.

Zack, for coming through in a pinch and driving the chase truck plus giving every Pemex attendant something to talk about for the next few months.

Hope all have safe travels home and we get the opportunity to cross paths again.

I will follow up with additional comments and some videos/photos.

I need to come up with a way to keep a bike on the West Coast.
  20. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I loaded up my bike last night:cry: No more fun for me toolin round San Jose Del Cabo.

You guys have a safe drive home, and take Pictures!!!