Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, you might want to put zip ties on the spokes, "just in case"
  2. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

I haven't seen any mis-communicating here, but there is a certain lack of detail that has me wondering. SO I figure I better speak up.

When we meet at RSV, are we supposed to be ready to ride, or are we gonna go as a group from there to the border to get FMT's and TIP's etc? I don't speak Spanish, so I'd sure rather hang on somebody's coat-tails for the paperwork needed for Baja Sur. I was asked for FMT's coming back up north last time I was down there.

IF we're 'sposed to be ready to hit the road @ 6 I guess that means crossing @ 4:30 or 5 and if that's the case is the office to import the bike open?

I'm planning on importing the bike, because I may go to the mainland after Baja. I may also just fly home. If I do fly home, is it even possible for the chase crew (non owner) to cancel the permit for me? If so is that the plan?

I asked before but never saw an answer... Do we have reservations for hotels along the way? I'd hate to show up tired and late and not have a place to crash.
  3. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

After much discussion and careful consideration, I am sorry to say that I will not be attending the Husky trip to the tip over New Years. I have many reasons for this, most of which I do not wish to post in public, but in the end, my family and I feel that it would be best if we sat this one out. I am very sorry to be backing out only 4 weeks from the trip, but I am confident that you all will have a blast and make it down to Cabo by the 2nd. Hope you all have an amazing adventure and I wish you a safe and fun journey.

-Blake
  4. life_in_sepia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, Blake, for a thoughtful decision. All the best, Ed.
  5. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll hit a couple of them...

Some of us are meeting Mike at Uptite on the afternoon/early evening of the 26th, or at his brother's place. (When he decides which trailer, we'll know) Depending on whether he has the trailer with him or not, (he may use the one at his brother's house in San Clemente) we'll either ride with him from there, or San Clemente, crossing the border the night of the 26th, (doing the paperwork then) as Mike has rooms reserved at RSV. We'll likely arrive RSV pretty late.

He has a group meeting/info session planned during breakfast at the hotel the morning of the 27th. You could meet up at RSV on the morning of the 27th, but you sure wouldn't get much sleep the night before if you stayed at home.

He has rooms planned out for the entire ride.

It may take a bit of reading, but most of this is included in Mike's posts on this thread.
  6. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    I'm backing out of this.

For those of you that are going I'd like to say, be safe and take lots of pic's. You guys are going to have a great time.
  7. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Sorry to hear that. I am just guessing but you would probably be fine on the ability level. Just sayin'. :excuseme:

Ever want to drive a chase truck? :p

P.S. What's the site with the "ride reports"? You can PM it if you prefer. I love reading wipeout stories. It gives me ideas on how to write up my own. :doh:
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the kind words y'all. :thumbsup:

Sorry to read FlyingTrashCan, BCVison wont be on the trip.

Looks like a fun crew.

I gotta tell ya, i LOVE the attitude ive read on the last couple pages.

THATS THE SPIRIT !!!

Please PM me with any specific questions. If needed we can go to telephones and tie up any loose ends.

Get your tourst cards and temporary import sticker for your bike any time before the AM of the 27th. You can get these things at Scuba Dive shops in So Cal, travel agencies, airports, and in many US cities at Mexican consulates. Also available 24hrs a day at Tijuana and Mexicali borders, but not sure if you can get them after 10pm at Tecate, for you last minutes types. Check with them if you will be arriving later, or get them ahead of time. Its easy. I will get mine the early evening of the 26th as i pass thru Tecate. You are welcome to meet me there, and we can go into that if interested. Send me a PM.

Thanks again for all the great vibes! Cant wait!!
    :cheers:
  9. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry to hear that FTC. I feel you on the $$$ that is my #1 concern as well. I'm hoping that most of the hotels will take plastic so's I can conserve my cash for eats. Is that unrealistic?

I dunno what you are talking about regarding crashing. I rarely crash, and I for sure wouldn't post it on the Internet for all to see if I did, that'd just be brain damaged!:lol:
  10. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Xymo,

About half the hotels will take plastic, half wont. Just FYI.
  11. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks mike, I was figuring something like that.
  12. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey

I just got insurance here:

http://www.bajabound.com/info/policies/motorcycle.php

super easy, less than 50 bucks for the whole trip, for "premium" coverage, (bike not covered).

give em a call.

you will need CDL, VIN, & a cc.

I'm probably going to spring for medjet insurance too.

Cheers
  13. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. TwoWheelsGood Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey guys,

I'm afraid I have pull out of this trip. It's a money thing and gremlins in the husky thing that I just can't seem to exorcise.

Have a great time, looking forward to the reports!

Rich
  15. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry to hear that Rich.

Any of the wait list folks stepping up?
  16. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

One wait list guy was added. The other called and told me he had company coming from overseas for the holiday. He's out.

Looks like we can take the smaller double axle trailer, and thats a good thing. Honestly this looks like a ride with about 8 guys, and thats just about perfect. Enough guys to share costs, and yet not so many that it gets too spread out, etc. I always figured a few guys would back out, that has always happened. Lets not add any more, we are at a very good size. :thumbsup:

Sat Phones:
    Personally i think they are over rated, but i will bring mine. If you want to rent one, they arent very expensive. Let me know with a PM and i will put you in touch with the Sat Phone guys ive used for the last 5-6 years. Good guys. Cost will be around $50 and $1.78 a minute.

Radios:
    I know at least one other rider has sprung for one, and its highly recommended. I will have mine. Highly recommended. I know its a tight economy, and most baja guys ride without them, but still, its a nice way to go. Just sayin'

Check your PM's for my cell phone and email. Please respond with the same. We are now about to jump from virtual to real. :applause:
    Keep a copy of my contact info with your wife/emergency contact.
    Program it in their phone.
    I'll do an email thread as soon as i have everyones.

Its all happening....
  17. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry you wont be joining us Rich. Its a tight economy and we are all feeling the pinch. This will probably evolve into an annual trip, and so maybe you can join us next year. :)
  18. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

INsurance not necessary for bikes, but if you want to be safe, then it cant hurt.

Its also available at the border on the USA side (in the market on the left with the gas pumps--Tecate crossing)

Chase Truck WILL have insurance, including glass coverage. That is part of the money we are all pitching in for the chase truck.

Thanks for posting the link

19. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

When you guys get some time, read thru this thread on ADVrider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457038&highlight=killed friends Baja

It's about a three friends who ride from San Fran, CA to LaPaz on a DRZ400sm, a (girl on a) KLR, and a KTM 990, none of which have knobbies. Oh, and no chase vehicle either. They survived just fine, despite having very limited off-road experience.

If nothing else, it's inspiring and the scenery is fabulous in the photos.

Just sayin'...
  20. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, that's a good thread. There's also http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447606

HOWEVER, just because some idiot survived his stupidity does not mean that we should emulate their behavior:thumbsup: