Husqvarna recommends Castrol.

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by XLEnduroMan, May 30, 2009.

1. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

So what does Husky recommend for premix?
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Right out of the 2009 WR/CR 125 manual suggests AGIP Racing 2t.
  3. racermx66 Husqvarna
    A Class

I've heard in different forums that people use Rotella or diesel oils. What is the difference between diesel oil and conventional car oil? Since Agip is an Italian company it is recommended that it be used in Italian bikes, the only reason I can think of.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I doubt that you'll find a better oil than CASTROL A747 for premix. It's on the expensive side and used widely for high end racing applications.

Honda HRC use to almost demand that it be used in their two cycle road engines and kits.
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

My cousins best friends uncle was this really old guy who never used anything but reclaimed oil in everything that he owned. He reasoned that the blend of various manufacturers additive packages gave him the best that could be offered. The old guy died. Now I'm not sure that his choice of lubricants had anything to do with his death but I'm not taking any chances. I'll stick with the recommended lubes.:D
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think it is discontinued
    http://www.proformanceusa.com/castrol/castrol_A747.htm

I was just thinking that is Husky is in bed with Castrol now they would also be telling us to use their premix.
  7. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

nothings more exciting than an oil debate!MotoXotica recommends 10-50 syntheticMotul.that oughta make for some exciting conversation!dan
  8. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

more than one old fart from the depression era would run used motor oil. the technique is to keep the old motor oil in a container and let the junk settle out. skim the nice clean stuff off the top and use it again!! No I've never done this as I did not grow up during the depression but I know a few that did!! Would be interesting to test (in a lab) some old stuff that the junk settled out of just to see!
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
  10. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    Spectro Golden fixed all my shifting problems so I'm sticking with it. I think there are lots of good options out there but the best oil in your crankcase is the one that gets changed often.
  11. brock Husqvarna
    AA Class

One word, 'MOTUL!' :thumbsup:
  12. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Don't blame me I voted for the (AMERICAN). Later George
  13. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I use to work with some huge million dollar gear boxes that where subjected to unreal torque / HP loads. Several years back we switched them to synthetic oil and sampled the oil weekly, which was sent to a lab for evaluation. To keep it simple, if it got dirty we would run the oil through a conditioning unit that filtered and dried it.

Those things ran around the clock and I was there for four years and we never changed the oil and they may still be running the same oil.

The Dino oil couldn't do that. It got changed about every 6 months, at best.

What did I learn? Use a good synthetic and an even better filter. :thumbsup:
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Huh?
  15. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

Spectro Oils of America
    993 Federal Rd. Brookfield, CT. 06804

:thumbsup::cheers:

Mike
  16. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    I use all my old motorcycle oil in the older cars of my kids that leak and burn oil faster than you can say supercadjalifradjalisticexpealodotios, or chitty chitty bang bang, or something like that. Now I don't have to gather it and bring it to the reclamation center it leaks and burns just as fast as I change it out. Honda, Toyota and Volvo's love the stuff, and its so clean when I do a change, there cars are like getting a transfusion.
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well I use Rotella in all my bikes and 4wheelers; zero problems to date. It's the same oil I use in my diesel trucks and believe me they live a much tougher life than my play toys. One has 280,000 + miles and the other has over 160,000 miles. I know they operate in way different RPM bands but if the heat generated by a diesel truck doesn't break it down my toys shouldn't and haven't to date. I agree with most: change your oil/filters often and you won't have any oil related failures. Oh, as far a clutch problem with Rotella I have none and that's with and without a Rekluse installed.
  18. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just found Castrol RS TTS 2T at my local dealer for 9.95 a quart so I am going to try it. It is fully synthetic. It looks like it can be bought even cheaper mail order.
  19. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

How many hours/miles should I put on, if any, before switching to a synthetic oil in a TE? Hypothetically assuming I would switch to a synthetic...
  20. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I have an 08 and believe it shipped with the Agip 10w/60 synthetic. I have only put synthetic oil in since, so I say synthetic from the start.