I guess i am going to give it a shot (trials tires)

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I good majority of my friends have switched to trails tires. I have been scared to, don't know why as i usually am quick to embrace new / different stuff. I am headed down to get a Dunlop D803. This should be interesting.

Those who have switched, love it? Anyone switch and then go back to knobs?

K
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

For you it might work. I rode a couple bikes with them and just couldn't get used to feel, of course my idea of riding is the more open territory (desert) if I were trying to claw my way up some mud slime hill with half burried log I might have a different opinion.
  3. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Been seriously considering the same thing....stock rear just doesn't hook up that well anywhere I don't think. I'd like to pair one up with the Tubeliss system. (If they ever release the 18" rear...)

I'm eager to hear results.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Just a heads up.

803's "unseat" from the rim if they are left at too low an air pressure. Mine only did that in the garage while stationary. 3 other Husky riders reported the same problem (not sure if it happen to them while riding though).

So leave the air pressure on my 803 below 5psi and a week later have to re-seat it with high pressure (60psi?). Others reported having problems below 7 or 8 psi. Think the one I had was a tubeless 803. Seems to only effect Huskys for some reason - or maybe other people use higher pressures?

Anyway the IRC I now have stays on the rim regardless but has slightly less traction - which is good cause the 803 was so sticky I could not move the bike while it was in the Tacoma bed unless I picked the bike up...
  5. CKPC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Per Coffee's recomendation I switched to an IRC and have been completely satisfied. Not great for extend pavement but offroad for my type of riding I don't think I could do any better. Plus the tire is at 700 miles now and looks like it has at least another 500 miles left on it.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thanks for the info Dean, i plan on running one rim lock and about 10 PSI like a buddy of mine does.

k
  7. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

We run a trials tire..Dunlop I think..may be an IRC? on the KDX200 (sorry, there are some "other" bikes in the shed). I love trials rear on that bike..can do no wrong and goes like a goat. Tube it and rim lock it and you'll be fine.
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I've been running a rear trials tire for years. Everyone used to make fun of me, but now it seems pretty popular. They will make you feel like an enduro hero in the nasty stuff, and you'll wonder why you can't keep the front wheel on the ground on that hillclimb that gave you trouble the last time you rode it. They do lend themselves to a somewhat smoother style of riding to be effective, though. They don't slide as readily in turns...or should I say as predictably...and they tend to push the front. If you're the type of rider that tends to square everything off and likes to throw roost every turn every time, you might not like them. However, if you like picking your way through the nasty and crossing raging rivers full of slippery rocks and smoking your friends over slick roots and having killer traction up hills where there is no traction to be had, you're going to love them. But you probably know all this by now...

I only ride knobbies if it's muddy, on a track, or if I know it's going to be a speed-fest ride in non-technical terrain.

Carry a good bicycle pump and some co2 cartridges with you, it they can be incredibly difficult to seat the bead.

WoodsChick
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I've been running IRC's almost exclusively for years and have never experienced the unseating from the rim while at low psi. I run 8psi for regular stuff (together my bike and I weigh about 335) and 10psi for enduros and really rocky areas. Eric runs 10 and 12, respectively, on his GG ECO250.

We've tried Michelin, Dunlop and the Mitas tires, too, but we keep coming back to the lowly IRC.

It's been our experience that trials tires aren't that great on the bigger displacement 4-strokes, but work like gangbusters on the 2-strokes. They still work, but I guess the difference in traction isn't as great as it is on the 2-strokes. Your mileage may vary, of course.

WoodsChick
  10. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I go back and forth all the time depending on where I am riding. Works great in the rocks and hills. I do miss some of the cornerning aspects of a knob at times. You learn to ride the berms or any type of lip with a trials tire, then it is really good. I ran a brand new one at the National Hare Scramble in PA last weekend on my WR 250. I was loving it until 1 lap in I punctured it and was running 9 psi. This could have easily happened while running a knobby. I have not got to change it yet but from what I saw it looked like I cut a knob and the sidewall. In the snotty rocks it is incredible. Where other people are following the groove, you can pick new lines and ride on the back tire. Truly amazing what lines you can pick with a trials tire. I have been told to use a super heavy duty tube like a Trelborg. The other issue is if you try to brake slide the bike around a trials tire likes to go straight. Not that big of a deal though.
  11. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ahve been using D803 for a couple of years...it is GREAT in Colorado, but a wasted of a tire in MOAB....it will also go down the highway at 75mph with out to much wobble, a friend tried a Michelin...while it is a better trials tire, for our use it is too flexy, I run 11 psi and a MSR Ultra HD tube...my .02
    mud not so good, I don't have too much issue with braking....I have a extra wheel with a knobby for mud and now a wore out one Moab
  12. gem Husqvarna
    A Class

I run one on my WR250. Like others have mentioned great for rocks, roots and technical stuff. For mud you'll swear your chain fell off. I noticed the biggest difference was braking.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Interesting observations. My ride buddy Jake whom kinda talked me into trying it runs his on slick mud / clay all year round and swears by them. I don't think he runs knobs at all any more. He is a very talented rider and is fast. I told him I just picked one up and if it did not work i was lighting it on fire and throwing it in his front yard. :D

So anyway I picked it up today with a MSR heavy tube. Sunday will be the test.
  14. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, Jake is very talented. You can tell he has a background in trials riding. He was eating up Reiter like candy! Anyway, I miss a knobby when braking down a hill or when cornering really fast or when hauling ass down a forest service road. I'm glad I have it because I gain a couple of inches of suspension and climb hills, rocks, boulders, logs...plus they last so much longer than a knobby!

David
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    He has been riding trials since he was a little kid.

This is my fear and i have felt the same when i tried them. We will see.
  16. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

You're a good enough rider to get used to it and be downhill proficient in no time!
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did it. Rode around the house and it already feel different. Tomorrow is testing day.

[IMG]

Takes some of the "mean" off visually.

[IMG]
  18. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

What kind of riding are you going to be doing? They do look a bit wimpy for sure!
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Gifford again. As I was just there I'll know for sure if it works better than a wasted S12. :D
  20. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    PSI in the pic? 15?