I guess i am going to give it a shot (trials tires)

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I knew you would respond to my wind up call,,hook me up with an oem tire machine!! the drive is cost prohibitive!! PS i know they are like glue, for ugly climbs,,,,,but i am still not sold for all around use,,especially in our local terrain
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Change that to very sticky marshmallows made out of veclro, and I would agree:D

If you ever get the opportunity to try a rear trials only on a bike that is set up properly, I'll bet you come away with a different opinion.

They aren't for everyone, that's for sure. I can only go on what I've seen, and I must say that each and every person I've ever turned on to a trials tire has come away with a totally positive experience.

WoodsChick
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have been bucking the trend for years. MANY people here run them and i see them more and more not less and less. Every time i ride a good half the group has them, some of these guys very fast dudes. I had to try it.

BTW i got the D803 because i was told these are better for big bikes and do not have the marshmallow feeling. I ran mine at 10 PSI and thought it felt good and not mushy just tracked way better and hooked up crazy good. My WR250 buddy Adam (Treedodger) tried mine and is now getting one. Another guy on the ride had one on his WR250 and LOVES it. As saw people not going back to knobs i had to think something was up with them.

It's all the rage :D
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Egg-zackly! They do take a different style of riding to accomodate the different characteristics, but once a rider realizes that and can compensate, there is nothing that can't be done...seriously! Did you cross any rocky creeks or slimy rocks, too?

Another thing I've noticed in the last few years of running a trials tire is that it has made me a better rider when on a knobby. Maybe not a "better rider" per se, but I'm better at traction control now, and I'm able to manage things better when trying to find traction with a knobby when there really is none. "Holding the pressure" is what one trials rider called it at a riding school I attended. It's been a pleasant yet unexpected benefit, for sure.

I'm looking forward to your observations on the front trials tire.

WoodsChick
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, tons of rocks and creeks.

I also liked the grip when having to get your front end up over stuff.
  6. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bingo on the Dunlop for bigger bikes.....now RM will be out again before I can get another one...........
    I don't really think we should be telling everyone the secret though........
    "yes I am an amazing rider...and you suck":D
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    All the cool kids are doing it now :cool:

A few years ago we were at the Sawmill Enduro and out of...I dunno, 300 riders or so...there was only one other rider we saw on a trials tire, and it was Malcolm Smith's nephew;) Nowadays we're seeing a few here and there, but still not very many.

And I wasn't kidding about getting laughed at in Arizona...

WoodsChick
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh yes! Another benefit! Get your front knobby up and over the slimy log, and the trials tire makes short work of the rest.

Amen, brother! Can I get a witness?? :D:D

WoodsChick
  9. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WC...I hope they knew in your enduro they were being passed by a 'girl' with a stupid trials tire. up the un obtainable hill.....augh that has to hurt:eek:

news flash.....Rekluses and trials tires are worthless....please do not purchase........

btw amen
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When my wife drags me to church and the people are waving their hands in the air towards god I always lean over to my wife and ask "is he ever going to get to their questions?"

She loves that. :rolleyes:
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll get pix of the next event I'm at but i swear about 1/4th the pack is running TT's. Crazy.
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

LOL! We were kinda torn on letting others in on the secret, too! Usually someone would ask about them at the starting line (and that someone would usually be in our same class) and we'd laugh and say "Yeah, they work ok. We buy them because they're cheap." :D
    Now the secret is out, though. Bill Dart (anyone remember him from his D36 days?) kinda let the cat out of the bag when he was with the BRC, though. He went around preaching the word and writing articles and now they're becoming much more popular. Now everyone knows it's just my tire and not my natural enduro hero-ness:o

WoodsChick
  13. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

what I like is how you can get enough traction at the beggining of a rock section or roots to launch over several and then you don't even have to ride through them : )
  14. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The last event I did was the Big Boot fundraiser for the BRC. The hosting club mandated trials tires for all 18" wheels. They were pretty adamant about it, too. I brought my KTM450 as a spare, and it was on the trailer with a knobby on it and a few club members came up to me to make sure I had no intention of riding it in the event. Their trails are private and they maintain them all themselves. They almost spend more hours maintaining the trails than they do riding them, since they don't ride when it's really wet...and it's always wet north of Eureka, CA. Anyway, it was cool to see nothing but trials tires everywhere. This was taken at the first gas stop...

[IMG]

They really are easier on the terrain.

WoodsChick
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes they are.
  16. lineman12345678 Husqvarna
    AA Class

That trials tire sure didn't slow you down at all
  17. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I need a 18" rear wheel for my Husky.......so then I can brag about my Husky instead of a KTM!
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats what those pesky FIM enduro tires are for,,,Michelin enduro comp, Pirelli scorps,,,,,,with the balloon 140 rears !! and the low FIM knobs,,,,,at low pressure.
    good traction, low impact . Ask any of the WEC guys if those tires slow them down (big Dave,Juha,Merriman,Aubert,Meo,Guillaume,Oblucki, Aro, etc etc )

I just need to keep winding you guys up as the resident offroad tire guy,,,(anti Trials for trail use) more for fun than anything.....because whatever works for you, is your choice.
    I really don't think a trials tire would work for my style and location of riding its really not designed for it.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I did not mind the stock OEM quad tire, the trails tire is WAY better.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    for hammering through whooped out single track at speed????? for non stop sandy switchback corners through manzanita groves? I will stop blabbing now
    PS its all with good nature just so we all are clear on that.

I hope to ride with you guys up north some time,,,,you just keep posting those pictures and causing me serious green envy
    Next ride Iw will grab the H cam.. I should have had it on sun,,,best seat in the house behind Cyril (FR) on his Tokyo Mods/MB1 CRF250X he was riding so loose it was all entertainment and he even threw my timing off a little,,but I was laughing out loud through the blinding dust!!enjoy the TT ride!!Rob