I guess i am going to give it a shot (trials tires)

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    10. Going to start there.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Looks like that is a much lighter bike than my te250.... or your tube is really thick... dunno. My rear tire squishes at bit more than that one - including the Dulop I had.
  3. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks sweet, Ummm whats holding the bike up?? I don't see any stand. Or are those tires that good??? :D
  4. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

10 and go down from there. I'm betting you'll like the traction climbing but won't care for the 'oh sh*t' braking at speed or the squishy line through turns. The tubeless type trials are better, and the Dunlop being the stiffest of the bunch will feel the most knobby like, but still the better I get riding the more I appreciate the firm sidewall of a knobby tire.

I'd really like for Pirelli to make a radial MT16 rear.
  5. I tried one 803, though it worked great it didnt last. I've used many IRC's and am totally sold on them, although I've had a Pirelli on back order now for 3 months. I just like to try different tires. I do switch back once a year for the Sheetiron 300 though, I just cant see riding too many street miles on a trials tire.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    some of you are letting me down,,,go low pressure on your off road rubber,,,,,how can you slide in and out of corners on a T tire,,,, as for climbing i challenge anyone here on their rockiest nastiest climb with my off road rubber....... (this should wind you guys up!!ha ha)R...........ps whatever works for you its all about the fun
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    +1 on the IRC's. The Dunlop worked fine but was losing knobs after 2 rides. I'm quite pleased with how long the IRC's last.

WoodsChick
  8. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    LOL! That's funny! :D

A few years ago I was riding the Desert Mountain National Enduro in AZ, and during the riders meeting we were warned about a big hill early on in the course. I was a bit nervous, and when I got there it was major carnage everywhere. Bikes were strewn about the entire length of the hill. Riders were coming down and trying it again, two and three times, without success. The course worker stopped us and didn't want to let us go until they got all the bikes out of the way. That seemed like kind of a funny way to run a national enduro, and after waiting impatiently for 5 interminably long minutes I took off up the hill. Me and my trials tire (the object of much snickering at the starting line) motor'd on up the hill with no drama whatsoever, changing lines at will to avoid riders much better than myself. I passed a whole slew of riders that, judging by their low numbers, had been fighting that hill for a long time. My friend was on a knobby, and he is a much better rider than I am, and it took him 3 tries to get up that hill.

I'm just sayin...;)

WoodsChick
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    LOL!! There is a black triangle stand in the rear axle. If you look closely, you can see it. But, you know, trials tires really are that good! Why, when I have one on the rear of my bike, I am 5'10" instead of 5'1", my knees and wrists don't hurt, gas is $1.79 a gallon, and there's peace in the middleast.
    You should try `em! ;)

WoodsChick
    supervision likes this.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    And that is why I use a trials tire on the front as well as the rear. :cheers:
    supervision likes this.
  11. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Now I see it, Dohhh
    Thanks WoodChick :D
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey, don't feel bad. It took me awhile to spot the wood holding up the 2 bikes in one of his earlier shots. At least you weren't too embarrassed to ask, unlike myself:o

WoodsChick
  13. naga Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250. TXC450
    Ahhh- you're crazy - they are GREAT on road - the back tire follows its own track - that may or may not have anything to do with the front tire's track. I never noticed it until Sharpie started pointing it out - now knobbies feel weird.

I like the IRC everywhere, desert-trees-rocks-mud-gravel - I've tried the Dunlop and Michelin - both are more expensive and don't last as long. I have been using the tube version lately, because a local shop always has them in stock, and have noticed no difference between the tube and tubeless version - other than the tube version stays on bead.

You learn to like stand-up riding, weight the front wheel and gas the back end around, get really casual about line selection and actual enjoy changing tires (because it takes about 5 minutes tops). I run 2 bead locks on the back because I have spun valve stems off and have found 8-9 psi is about perfect - 12 psi spins knobs off and at 6 psi I can feel the rim bouncing off the bigger rocks that I am too incompetent to steer around.

Every so often I put a knobby on, convinced that I must be missing something ...

Not sure what.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Loved it. Took me 18 miles to acclimate myself. i was riding along after relearning all my lines and cornering techniques and really fell into a rythem. i was scooting along and realized i love the rear trials and looked down at the ODO, 18 miles. From there on I was in Trials tire bliss.

robertaccio - Your on. I'll take your challenge. Bring your bike, I have a little hill called Devils staircase and a few others we can try your theory out on.

BTW, I like how the rear tracks so well I'm going to try a front.

I'll do a full report when i get some time later.

K
  15. SightedN2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kelly I had a feeling you would like it.....I didn't believe it until I tried it...its almost all I run now, my Dunlops do start losing knobs fairley quick but it still outlasts a regular knobby.....
    non-believersyou dont want a trials tire and they look skinny and funky.....no problem, it makes me a hero sometimes on crap I would have had trouble with.....I start looking for slick rocks to humiliate my non trials tire buds........If I had a Rekluse no telling where I could go....
  16. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Told ya so:p

Welcome to the fold, Grasshopper;)

WooodsChick
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A buddy have a Michelin 21 inch front he is going to let me try before i commit. This should be interesting. The front tire felt all over the place because the back was tracking so perfectly.
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Having a trials tire on the rear tends to push the front end. This is why I've not been comfortable with running a trials front, but maybe it's just something one needs to get used to? I dunno... I do notice, however, that a worn front knobby is much more noticeable with a trials tire in the rear than it is with a knobby. I think fronts work harder when running a trials tire.

Just my two cents worth...

WoodsChick
  19. rajobigguy Administrator

You're probably right. the only times I've ever ridden a bike with trials tires they were set up with both front and rear and I just coudn't get used to them. Someone once likened it to riding on marshmellows, I think that was a pretty good analogy.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I agree, it seems the trails rear does push the front around. I got used to it and was right back up to speed. At first i did not think i would like it as It would not drift out and find the berm. Once i realized a berm was not necessary I readjusted my cornering technique and all was good.

I'll be trying the front trails tire Wednesday / Thursday and will report back.