My EJK chronicle

Discussion in 'TR650' started by V8Astro, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Hey V8astro - Are you still happy with your EJK? Mine was good for the first couple hundred miles, but I'm at about 600 miles now and it is very sluggish right off idle again. It almost died on me this morning in first gear. :(
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Did you unplug the O2?
    V8Astro likes this.
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I received a call from Dillon Friday and we had a very good chat, what a great company.

A couple of very interesting things were discovered.

There was talk about the EJK having an issue on throttle roll off and how they were reflashing reprogramming the ecu. I gave them a call a couple weeks ago to see if my Lexx could be flashed the same. As some of you know, they were out of the office busy.

So I get the call, and we determined that I had a gen 3, and when the tech gets back he will check the numbers to see if the boards are the same.

In the discussion, I find out that the Gen 3.5 has the ability to reduce fuel below the default map levels. The gen 3 is only capable of adding fuel. The Terra uses a Gen 3. The gen 3.5 will probably not be available for the Terra.

We were talking and I mentioned the fellow from 14point7 and his o2 data logger and him thinking of making a unit that works with fuel.

This is where I get excited. Dobeck is developing a closed loop fueler. The primary focus is for the UTV but Dillon said it would most likely cross into the bikes as well. I didn't get into specifics on how to adjust it or if it would use mapping or just the zone programming of the EJK.

This seems like it would be a cheaper version "load based" PC5. Get this, the current owner of Dobeck is the guy who started Dynojet. He sold out to the current owners, and is currently working on a new dyno that simulates real time driving conditions, to include driving scenery etc, for a simulated drive.

Back to the EJK and Terra. I was talking to him about my Lexx that is for a Raptor 700 and he asked how I plugged it in. I told him I just bought adapters, and that was going to work out well for me as I planned on putting a switch in the pigtails to turn the ejk off and initiate the O2. That way I could keep my stock mapping and closed loop for the majority of my driving, and when I wanted FUN...flip the switch.

This is the most important takeaway from the entire conversation (for me).... The EJK 3 can be turned off just by putting a switch in the ground wire. The 3.5 has to be removed from the system or it could wreck circuits. We have the Version 3 from what Dillon says. And that also is my Lexx. So even if my Lexx does not decrease fuel, it at least can be turned off.

You can tell by looking at the back, there should be a rubber plug squarish about a half inch big. That is the version 3. That's were they plug it into their computer to flash it etc.

I got the paperwork to become a distributer. I may apply. They also sell CVT belts by Gates.
    PaulC likes this.
  4. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    That is some interesting info.

I think there's a lot of room for developing better dyno that match the real world driving conditions much closer. I'm not impressed with the current spinning drum designs, I think they are very limited in scope.

I think you could do one using electromagnetic resistance that could easily simulate varying riding conditions, resistance that matched the bike/rider mass, and even program in wind resistance factors.

What's important is being able to simulate slow speed riding for fine tuning throttle response, plus accurately simulate freeway cruise mode. The current spinning drum doesn't take into account wind resistance and I've found it loads the bike more than in reality. I judged this by the throttle angle required to achieve the same "speeds" on the dyno vs real freeway riding.
  5. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Yeah I'm still using mine. Still happy with the results. They have been consistant since installed it.
    PaulC likes this.
  6. Nick780 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Suzuki GS400E

Any progress on this issue? I've got my EJK ready to send in and get re-flashed, but want to make sure the kinks are ironed out first.
  7. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    Well, I got one a month ago Nick. Although it really improved the running it still didn't fully get rid of the off idle stumble. I've called them numerous times and have tweaked the adjustments but it's still there. My TR has to be about the most stubborn one out there though and I expect their product will probably do the trick for you.
  8. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Dan, You are so right about this. After comparing on-the-road riding AFRs with those very high AFRs at the start of every inertial dyno run; and after realizing that the average dyno "pull" exercises only about a half dozen fuel map locations out of several hundred total, I decided to dissect an R1200GS Dyno test by comparing GS-911 data with the Dyno information.

It's a long read but the 7 part report starts here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23436774&highlight=Dyno#post23436774.

The conclusion is similar to yours, you need actual rear-wheel resistance at the start, and need tests at many throttle openings. The best tests are on engine dynos with constant load and RPM.
  9. Craig Hashey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1984 Harley FXWG, 2003 Harley FLSTS
    I am still trying to get it ironed out. It has gotten much better. I have been adjusting settings and working out the issues but, I have been out of contact with Dobeck for a few weeks on it as I have been slammed at work. Some of you may have seen the huge fire that happened in Downtown Los Angeles on the news a few weeks back. That was my job site so I have been pretty busy since.