PNW Husky event. Bend, OR. Oct. 15-16, 2010

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by PC., Aug 9, 2010.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    And for these purposes I think the Northwest extends to Alaska (including western Canada), central Valley of California and Denver or thereabouts ...

and if you wander in from New Hampshire you get extra points and you get to learn about high speed desert whoops (over and over)

Any of you under the illusion that Oregon is a giant rainforest should be aware that the riding area is around 4000 feet and gets about 10" of precipitation per year. Sage and other scrub brush are spaced wide enough to ride between them and the trees are mostly Ponderosa pine in the higher elevation parts of this OHV area. Volcanic rock outcroppings arent uncommon. Weather cools significantly at night so bring your warm jammies. Sun can be intense so dont forget the sunscreen. Snakes and other scary critters are very rare in this area but coyotes are not.

OHV stickers are required and available at dealers in the area for $10/2years. (reciprocity exists with several states)

Search on Bend, Sunriver, Cascades Lakes, Newberry Crater, Central Oregon, Sisters, Mt. Bachelor for more local information. You might want to bring the family and explore the area. There are lots of tourist/vacation attractions.

http://www.lobosmc.com/Photos.htm

Picture at the top of this page is a typical view of the riding area.
  2. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Bring it even if the Husky is ready. It's nice to have a back-up bike when traveling that far. And I'll be bringing some non-Husky scooters myself.

Since nobody seems to mind lets just make it an open invite. I'd hate to not invite some of my good friends just cause they have bad taste in motorcycles.
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have played in a few golf tournaments in Bend although nothing in the last 10 years and it is a very cool place. At this point in my dottage, I will take the chance on a ticket from the staging area to the Hotel with a beer snootful. Maybe they have home free in Bend now. :lol:

Walt
  4. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Great opportunity to meld and enjoy one another's company. Dean, = Mods, would be great to have you all along if this thing Gels into an actual ride.

I personally don't give a rotting rat's ass what Coast you might be coming from trying to attend this event. I will support any effort to help folks attend even if I don't make it myself. PM me if needed....
  5. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's the spirit! Come one come all. There is lots of room and its a great place to visit even if you dont ride.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  7. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I say let everyone bring their friend on the weird colored bikes - that will give us a chance to convert them! "Go ahead and ride the Husky. Don't worry, it's not a pod..." :eek:
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    What Kelly posted is what you'll see on the northern end of the area. As you head south the trails will change (for the better IMO)
    [IMG]

[IMG]

This trail system is good sized. I'd say 40+ miles from North to South ends (not including the Millican trail system), so it offers opportunities unlike many other areas. One thing I'd like to do is hold a 'Cannonball Run' type event. Everyone lines up at camp and races to a destination using any path they choose.

The trails spider web all over and there's always 3-4 ways to get somewhere, so speed is only one part of this race. Finding the fastest route and not getting off course are more important.

Below is a link to a trail map. For scale, it's about 30 trail miles from camp 25 (northern most camp) to the Ice Caves (furthest point south).

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloreg...s/recreation/cohvops/efrimage/2005-efrmap.pdf

Not everyone is into competition, but for those whom are this could be fun.

Here's some pics of the ice caves. Bring shoes and lights if you want to explore it. After you get 2-3 caverns deep the chambers get HUGE and there is zero light penetration. And Volkswagon sized holes in the floor (I presume from rocks letting loose and falling into lower chambers :excuseme:). Regardless, it's pretty crazy.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

One more thing.... a handlebar mounted map/roll chart holder (like the one on the right pictured below) is highly recommended. Before a ride just write down your desired directions and you wont be pulling out the map at every intersection. I'll write 'trail 40 → 50 Left → 60 Right, etc...'
    [IMG]
    This place is marked well enough that this approach works perfectly.

C'mon October!
  9. ken510 Husqvarna
    A Class

This sounds like tons of fun. I like the "Cannonball Run" idea and the chance to ride with a bunch of you guys. It's funny because I was trying to head up a camping trip and now we have one! There should be six or seven of us making the seven hour journey from where we live, (Stanwood, Wa.). Is there a specific camping spot where everyone is congregating? We may end up at the the Thousand Trails campground which I believe is about 20 min. away. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!
    (This saves me from the Cowbell at Walker Valley...)
  10. Dustsucker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hell ya! I live in bend so if there are any questions or info needed let me know!:thumbsup:
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Can we all stay at your house and drink all your beer?
  12. Dustsucker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Only cost you two Motoz per night!:applause:
  13. Dustsucker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is this,

[IMG]

This Nut?
    [IMG]
  14. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    sounds like a fun ride

The Bills BMP gang would be into this,after tearing up a narly fun 50 mile poker run yesterday would love to the take 2011 Wr150 out to Bend .Only I was hopeing the new models would come in so we could test pilot everyone on them But it sounds like November for the new stuff.Cross our fingers maybe they will show up sooner,by the way cant say enough about how much I love the new 150,also took the Tc250 .With my riding style the carb worked great?What a blast to be 54 and go burn 50 miles at a good pace trading leads with your 30 year old son on his Tc250,makes me feel like a kid everytime.All you guys with litle guys have alot of great fun in store for you!Heres a couple pics of the Father & son BILLS MC bikes.So count us in the PNW gathering,billf

Attached Files:

15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I am booked in on Thursday night. :applause: Thanks Dirtsucker. Anyone want to show a slow old guy some riding on Friday? Sounds like a great group ride. I will be at the back trying to stay on the right trail. Probably will be my first days off in about 3 months.:banghead: Can't wait to meet all the Oregon and Washington guys and shake Bill's hand for being a great dealer.

Walt

PS, I hope to have my 167 along for everyone to try. It is so much fun I keep waiting for it to disintigrate. The Mahle piston is amazingly hard but the cylinder is pretty thin.
  16. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Slow old guy my butt.....:busted: you ride rings around me... but then again I'm pretty slow....

I'm trying to see if my work will cooperate, I'm on call that weekend but I'm trying to get out there...
  17. Poopy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165
    Sounds fun....I will try my best to bring some Canadian content down there!
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Great to have you guys from BMP along.

I am working on extra accomodations. Might be able to get my brother to loan us his 24' toy hauler for sleeping quarters since he lives just down the road from China Hat and I will be bringing the new motorhome. Will see if he can get anyone else he knows to help out.
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    ummm, I just started reading this thread, just lucky I saw this.

It appears that PC seems to be organizing this thing as much as anyone. Probably the best approach would be to stick this thread and he can update the first post as needed. If he does not want to do that you could edit your post #2.

Sound ok?

edit: why don't you fine people use the calendar with a link to this thread? Then it will show up at the bottom of the screen in the upcoming events.

So how many miles is this event (and in which direction) from Bend OR?
  20. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Yes indeed. The one, the only, the Roostafarian!
    Was that pic from the 24hr race?
    Are you on BDS?