TC250 in Mar Dirt Rider MX 250 shootout

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by robertaccio, Jan 25, 2012.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    DR has the 2012 TC250 in the test
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    And?...............
  3. SAM511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 HUSQVARNA TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 HUSABERG 450 2014 HUSABERG 501
    Well?...................
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Said it is close but still underpowered. Seems like whichever bike has the most power wins the 250F shootouts with the lowest powered bike finishing last regardless how good the rest of the bike is.
  5. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Finished last -- They liked it, but just not as much as the others.

Typical stuff -- Down on power, layout is "european." It wasn't an awful review -- what I took away was that the bike wasn't quite there yet. Just my $0.02.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Until Husky spends big bucks in the rags they will always be something just not quite there. I haven't tried all the others and frankly don't want to but I do really like my 2010 TC250.
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Our 2011 Kawi KX 250F had a brutally fast motor that only an AAAAAA pro rider could fully take advantage of. That's where the positives ended. The build quality sucked. After a month, it looked like a 6 year old bike. Fork leaked after a week. Handled like a rocket-powered steam roller. Plastic looked like something that you'd find on a Pep Boys Chinese special. I could go on. And on. But suffice it to say I'm overjoyed we're back on a Husky. :thumbsup:
    JonXX, TC250209, kzoo and 7 others like this.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

LOL Krieg thats how I felt test riding a friends 2011 KX450F a few weeks ago at our MX track. When I got back on my 2010 TC250 he jumped in behind me on his 450 and and bless his heart he couldn't keep up with the slow little TC. I know it's rider rider rider but I'm really not that good. I just love how good the TC handles on a MX track and it makes me the best I can be.
    JonXX, Motosportz and Clete like this.
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    fact 99% of riders will turn faster lap times on a "slower" bike. Only the top tier MX (not even WEC enduro riders)guys are wringing out all the HP of their machines and need every ounce of HP.
  10. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You got that right and I would only add ....a better handling bike = faster.
    bud7041 likes this.
  11. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    O so true

in my opinion the husky's are more enduro purpose build bikes, look at the heritage.

its for the majority of riders way more important to have a balanced bike than a bike that is peaking in one or 2 tested disciplines.

what does 1 HP difference on the counter shaft make if the suspension is not able to put it usefully on your rear tire.

HP figures are just marketing nr's used to get the youth some bragging rights.

Robert-Jan
    Radbuster likes this.
  12. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Actually, the Dirt Bike test said the bike was good, just underpowered but so was the KTM.
    Dirt Rider mostly talked about how the bike felt different than the others. Ironically, that is what they used to say about KTM. I think some of the testers were pleasantly surprised with the TC, said it was best on rough, flat tracks, did not like jumps or hills so much.
    They were careful not to be negative or rank the bikes only saying that the Honda and Kawasaki were a toss up for first.
    GP
  13. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

As an owner of a '12 TC250 and also an '11 TC250 I can chime in with real world experience and say that the '12 while maybe not the one with the most HP that this year it is more or less right there with the supposed other class laggards. It definitely has a little more omph then my '11 while retaining all the good qualities that the x-lite chassis platform offers.
    Realistically for most c/b level riders it's more then competitive engine wise but for a true hard core fast A guys yes it may be lacking for their tastes in the engine dept.
  14. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes...there are all these arguments about how good the bike is and how most guys are fine with a few horsepower down and a mellow easier to ride motor. But if you want to sell more bikes they've got to make it as fast or faster than the red, green, and yellow bikes right out of the box. People really started to take KTM for real when their 125 was known as the horsepower king of the class..even when the rest of the bike was confused. The Husky is so good everywhere else.....for the last few years I get excited when I see a test of the TC or see it included in a shootout with a mainstream MX Mag....and every year it's the same story...it's unfortunate to see these bikes being left over and blow out prices at the end of the year. Nobody who races, no matter the class, wants to line up on a bike that is down on power to their competitors. Especially in the small bore class....engine is king. It's getting closer....but still needs more.
    raisrx251 likes this.
  15. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    I think it says volumes about that section of the motorcycle press and how out of touch with grass roots they are. Mind you, I feel that motocross is getting a little out of touch with grass roots too - kids breaking their necks on those big, dumb jumps. That's not racing. Mebbe that's why there's less competition and fewer bikes being sold these days. And all the idiot "pro reviewers" (who probably have to get an adult to write the pieces for them) can do is brag on about power. Where's the talent, the finesse, the racecraft? Jump, turn, repeat.
    JonXX and TemecuCoastie like this.
  16. TXC&KTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unfortunately, I think Cagiva is right: it takes something truly exceptional to break through the "japanese ceiling". KTM only got respect after some monster motor builds, coupled with their better than jap build quality...
  17. 7point62 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Kawasaki TR250
    The "Japanese Ceiling" is getting ever more puzzling as they really seem to have taken their foot off the pedal re. dirtbike development (I guess Yamaha are kind of making an effort, but...)

Perhaps when their money runs out completely the magazine <str>advertisments</str> - sorry, reviews - will be a little more lodged in the real world. And maybe the race tracks will be too.
  18. water racer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

http://www.knoxenduro.com Knoxville, Tennessee
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Beta 250RR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Husqvarna WR125 1997 Fantic
    Yea, I am starting to see kids riding in the woods instead of mx.
    bud7041 likes this.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Probably nothing to do with $ running out ... These guys have been at (and dominated on a world scale) this game so long, they have the business model down to a gnats a$$ ... They know what they spend and they know the return and apparently they are happy with it ...Maybe almost boring to them, small potatoes .. They are just advertising their company name here ...

One of hondo's top brass said not too long ago that hondo wants to be the company that everyone wants to be around forever ... 4th reich sounding to me ...
  20. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    if they really serious in that than they should produce 2 stroke again :D

Still I would have more priority candidates on my list before they would appear.

Robert-Jan